Advertisement

It Girl & the Atomics #1 & #2 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Ragnarok Hudson takes a fresh look at the new Image series from Jamie S. Rich and Mike Norton.

By Jamie S. Rich (w) * Mike Norton (a) * Allen Passalaqua (c)

Image Comics

$2.99 * 26 Pages (each)

When I usually approach a comic review, I like to know something about what I’m reading. When approaching It Girl & the Atomics, I had no clue what I was about to read. Thankfully there was a lovely recap on the front page of the first issue that let me know what this series was about.

I am unfamiliar with Mike Allred’s Madman and Atomic Comics, so going into this I had no prior knowledge of what this series was about or what I would be in for. Suffice to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed these two issues.

The first issue begins creatively with a nice parody of an MMORPG-styled game that completely caught me off guard. As the series progresses, there’s a tone that’s set for the comic that I can only describe as “reluctant superhero” comics. This tone runs rampant throughout the series and that might be what appeals to me about this series.

I will credit the writer, Jamie S. Rich, for keeping me interested throughout the whole issue. I’m vaguely familiar with the name “Jamie S. Rich” but I can’t place where I’ve heard it. If you can place it for me, leave me a comment on the forum or on Facebook. My favorite part of the series so far is Mike Norton’s art. Norton is able to capture a TV-show feel for the book that I can see projected into the series from Rich’s writing.

My biggest beef with the series is a major one that actually takes away points. I don’t like how nothing happens. Perhaps I’m too steeped in mainstream superheroes, but for some reason this book hasn’t done anything to pull me into the story. There is one instance in the second issue where what I thought would be a big moment that really fell flat.  The light-hearted, easy going pace conflicts with the superhero story and in many ways it feels as if the story can’t decide which of the two it wants to be.

The villains in the issue don’t feel villainous but it’s hard to be taken seriously when your bad guy crew is dressed as a bunch of rodents. This is humorous and I definitely have to credit the creators there. The one aspect of the book that I find completely enjoyable is the humor angle that works well in the series. There is also a subplot building out of the MMORPG game that I’m intrigued by as well. Those two elements will at least get me to read issue 3 of It Girl & the Atomics.

Issue #1 is out and a new printing will be released this Wednesday along with Issue #2. If you want a break from the heavy mainstream superhero comics of today, I definitely recommend buying this comic.

3.5/5

Written or Contributed by Ragnarok Hudson

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand