Advertisement

Advance Review: Whore GN

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:09 pm

GLX gives his thoughts on Whore GN.

Writer - Jeffrey Kaufman
Penciller/Inker - Marco Turini
Colorist - James Brown

Comic companies will go above and beyond to make sure that their product is noticed by consumers. Sometimes, they will use shocking covers featuring established characters in order to draw the jaded fan's notice. Other times, they may use a sleek cover design to draw curious eyes their way. Perhaps, they may even call a graphic novel Whore and give it a cover with three nude (but covered) women and a sharply dressed killer. That last example would seem a little extreme to be true....except that it is a description of a graphic novel that will be hitting stores on Wednesday. While more open-minded people may think that there could be something of value beyond the graphic novel's cover, I assure you that this is not case.

My main issue with Whore is that the entire world that the characters inhabit is juvenile and cynical. Missions that lead character Jacob Mars embarks on range from protecting a closeted teen idol's life to playing basketball with the president. For those that are curious by the title, Jacob does engage in a job that is strictly sexual in nature. One thing that struck me while reading Whore is that its structure reminds me of a video game. The mission variety and the structure of the narrative seems perfect for a "mature" game that is concerned more about thrills than consequences.

What makes things worse is that there is an inherent indifference to the vices practiced within the pages. Jacob is intentionally unlikable, but I honestly have a hard time thinking of a character that left a positive impression. It is as if the characters in Whore know and do not mind that their world is corrupt. Sex, violence and profanity are commonplace and lack any nuance. Despite the cover and the title, Whore does not feature any graphic nudity. It is a small exercise in restraint in a graphic novel that mostly does not hold back.

Marco Turini's art is adequate, though unpolished. Some of it seems inspired by the work of Doug Mahnke. Judging from his pages, Turini is on the right path (artistically) though his draftsmanship still has a ways to go. James Brown's colors are mixed bag. At times, they look decent; at other times, they can be dull. Despite my complaints with the art, it is still the high point of Whore.

Nonetheless, Whore is not worth a recommendation. It is as cold, shallow and unappealing as its lead character. For those looking for a deeper and more entertaining tale involving a heartless lead character that involves sex and violence, go check out Daken: Dark Wolverine. There are plenty of comics that are worthy of your time and money; Whore is not one of them.

28 out of 100

Written or Contributed by GLX

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Advance Review: Whore GN

Postby covalesky » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Awesome, one less book for me to buy.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 445 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Jesus, and I thought our friend Ragnarok Hudson was mean to It Girl & the Atomics...

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:51 pm

For those interested, a preview of the comic can be found here:

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/headlines ... hore-ogn-2

And here's a differing opinion on the graphic novel:

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 445 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Well they sent him a free signed and numbered copy so he has to give it a good review.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Keb wrote:Well they sent him a free signed and numbered copy so he has to give it a good review.

I can understand that and he seemed to be honestly into it.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:53 pm

This book looked bad and I'm glad that GLX proved that since I trust his reviews. :smt023
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

bkthomson wrote:This book looked bad and I'm glad that GLX proved that since I trust his reviews. :smt023

Danke. Did you check the link to the preview?

Also, I can drop spoilers tomorrow if anyone wants them.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand