Advertisement

Review: Godzilla: Half Century War #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Writer/Artist Steve Stokoe continues on his journey to telling one of the definite Godzilla tales.

Now in the late 1960s, Godzilla takes a vacation from his usual stomping grounds in Tokyo to the sunny ideal paradise that is the Vietnam War. Why is the Big G stomping his way through Americans and the Viet Cong? That's what Ota Murakami and the Anti-Megalosaurus Force (or A.M.F.) team are there to find out! What they find out won't be pleasant news for anyone.

With a mere two issues in the can, Writer/Artist Steve Stokoe is telling quite possibly the definitive Godzilla American comic book tale, injecting gorgeously detailed backgrounds, character designs, and thrilling action sequences. There's a lot to digest in each installment that Stokoe gives the reader. Each page is coated with story. You can't help but really appreciate with every single panel and page Stokoe gives us as you just have to take in the world he's built for this issue.

Instead of the usual predictable city destroying, Stokoe has another surprise Kaiju guest star and a new playground for Godzilla to wreak havoc upon: the Vietnam War. It's a new setting to something we've not really seen in a Godzilla book or movie before. The two armies are already in conflict with each other. Their separate strategies in dealing with these behemoths are great parallels to the wiser Japanese, who just want to move these forces of nature to a place where they won't harm human life and are trying not to get caught in the middle of the conflict of the other two.

Building on the previous issue, Stokoe introduces several new characters and their additions are welcome. My favorite among them is Doc Randall, who is the A.M.F.'s technology expert, the designer of all their toys. Those knowledgeable in Toho Kaiju movie lore will know what kind of tech Randall will be dishing out and the fact Stokoe gives us time to answer any sort of lingering questions. Therein lies Stokoe's greatest strengths writing-wise: he's done a great job balancing the characters, monsters, and action. Never once does the other seem to drag and eclipse the others.  A feat that some Godzilla comics have had trouble doing.

Likewise, Stokoe just keeps upping the action factor as well giving us probably the most memorable Kaiju fight ever drawn in American comics so far. Thus far he's built each issue’s action sequence from a cat and mouse chase between Godzilla and a tank in the last issue to the three way battle between the two kaiju and the humans who are either scrambling to run away or annoy the two monsters.

Tired of the mega crossovers? The annoying restarts? Are you hungering just for a excellent story with awing art? Look no further than to this book. Steve Stokoe supplies both and then some. Again, this is fine quality comic that should be wrangling in both Godzilla and comic fans in general. For those hungering for more of what Stokoe has given in the past. Look no further to his latest indy creation in Orc Stain. With that I say bring on the next thrilling chapter with obsessed Hippie fans of Mothra!

5 out of 5

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 426 posts

Re: Review: Godzilla: Half Century War #2

Postby GHERU » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:24 pm

where should people start with this new crop of Godzilla books?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:36 pm

GHERU wrote:where should people start with this new crop of Godzilla books?

Depends. You have numerous options. I'd say start with Godzilla Legends (various one shot kaiju spotlights) and then Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths. Then get the entire run of Kingdom of Monsters ongoing. It's one lump story that works better than just buying a single trade.

Or just start off with this mini and work your way from there.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 792 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 pm

I didn't read issue #2 yet, but did finally get to issue #1... and I am impressed!

Looks like once again, the mini series is better than the ongoing.

The art looks like it could be a manga (but not a moe one) and the story, even though it features humans, is interesting.

Not sure how much of a Godzilla fan you are RU. I like Godzilla but probably am not a big a fan as Zechs. I didn't care for the Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters series that recently ended (do you want it? I gotta look for them, but you can have my issues if you want them). I did like the Godzilla Legends mini that was launched around the same time though. The Legends series was by different creative teams though so, the quality varied.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:38 pm

sdsichero wrote:I didn't read issue #2 yet, but did finally get to issue #1... and I am impressed!

Looks like once again, the mini series is better than the ongoing.

The art looks like it could be a manga (but not a moe one) and the story, even though it features humans, is interesting.

Not sure how much of a Godzilla fan you are RU. I like Godzilla but probably am not a big a fan as Zechs. I didn't care for the Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters series that recently ended (do you want it? I gotta look for them, but you can have my issues if you want them). I did like the Godzilla Legends mini that was launched around the same time though. The Legends series was by different creative teams though so, the quality varied.

The thing you have to like Kingdom of Monsters is that it's one long huge tale and basically The Walking Kaiju though some parts done in parody. The problem with it is there's a rushed feeling towards the end and really some plot points aren't brought up again (TWINS that are guardians to Mothra?!).

It's an average story. The mini-series are the superior uses of the Toho kaiju. Like I said before either start with this series or Godzilla: Legends. The only problem with the later is after reading three of the five one-shots you want more of those characters or the continuation of that story-line since they're so good.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand