Advertisement

Review: Star Trek #13

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 am

Review of IDW's Star Trek #13 by Mike Johnson & Stephen Molnar

First I have to say this is my first time checking out IDW's Star Trek series.  I was unsure whether it would be a new-reader friendly issue, but a combination of curiousity and admiration for the cover got the best of me.  So to answer my own question - yes, it was new-reader friendly, now onto the important part - was it good?

The series is based off of the movie version of the original series reboot, which I liked and it fed into the story possibilities for this issue.  It focuses on Hendorff, a name that may not be familiar until I tell point out that he is the starfleet cadet that Kirk got into a fight with at the bar and who later, working security on the Enterprise, nabs Kirk and Scotty after the return to the enterprise.  You know... "Cupcake".  This issue is told from his narrative as he writes his parents a letter recounting his recent adventures.

Author Mike Johnson hits all the right notes as he touches on many of the questions left to fans after the first movie: Kirk's fast promotion, the crews reaction to their new and young officers and most of all: being a 'redshirt'.  After all the fun made about the poor 'redshirts' in the Star Trek universe, it's nice to a see a genuine aproach taken toward them.  After all, they are the working class, the grunts on the front line and not to take anything away from the redshirt fun, but this story has a well deserved spot for showing respect to those kind of positions.  Positions that often make the world tick and make it possible for others to do what they do.

The art is on the mark as well (I already mentioned the outstanding cover).  Stephen Molnar does a good job with the characters and their resemblance to their movie counterparts is uncanny.  Overall I thought the issue made a great companion to the movie and I am looking forward to trying out the next issue to see where it takes us.  So to answer my final question - yes: it was a good issue.

Written or Contributed by xaraan

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand