Advertisement

Avengers 'Did you Know?' Edition

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Avengers comes to DVD this week and in honor of having the ability to watch Avengers on an endless loop, we have a few fun articles planned as well. This first one covers a few things that maybe you didn't know about the Avengers.

Well, we know there are plenty of Avengers fans out there that will look this article and think "of course I knew that!" -- this isn't for you.  Unless of course you want to add to the list down in the comments.  This article is aimed at some of the new Avengers fans that this movie has created and offer a few interesting facts that every geek should know.  (Article could contain spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet)

THE HULK WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO BE GRAY

Though the Hulk did officially become gray at a point during his long comic run before going back to his old green self, did you know he was supposed to be gray all along?   Originally Stan Lee chose gray for the Hulk because he didn't want his skin color to reference any ethnic group.  Stan Goldberg, colorist for the Hulk at the time, had trouble getting the gray colors to show up right, usually appearing as different shades of gray or even green.  Seeing this and wanting to make it easier on Goldberg, plus liking the look, Stan Lee decided to change the skin color to green.  Green skinned peoples be damned!

OTHER HEROES CAN WEILD MJOLNIR

Mjolnir... You know... Thor's Hammer?  If you didn't know that, then I shouldn't have bothered with the rest of this entry -- that could have been my Thor fact right there.  Oh well, ok...  Remember how in the movie the Hulk tries to pick up the hammer, but can't?  Well, that's becuase only the "worthy" can weild Mjolnir.  Inscribed on the hammer: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

But that doesn't mean only Thor can weild it, several heroes have been able to pick it up over the years.  Captain America... picture gave it away huh?, Conan the Barbarian, the X-Men's Rogue, Loki even, and in crossovers- DC's Superman and Wonder Woman, and several more characters over the years.

IRON MAN'S J.A.R.V.I.S. IS AN ACTUAL PERSON

If you only know the movie version of the Avengers, then you know Jarvis as the wise cracking computer A.I. that assists Tony Stark.  But in the comic world, he's an actual butler that served a similar function.  The comics have slowly come around the movie version as there is now a JARVIS computer AI and the butler Jarvis had his own adventures (with Aunt May, but that's a different story).

NICK FURY IS WHITE!

You may think that David Hasselhoff playing Nick Fury in an older attempt to get Fury on the silver screen is what killed off white Nick Fury and you might be right, it's really hard to argue that.  But actually, the movie version of Nick Fury is based on Marvel's "Ultimate" comics line (an alternate world) where they actually modeled him after Sam Jackson years before even his appearance at the end of Iron Man.  So Mr. Jackson was a no-brainer for the role.  Just don't be surprised if you pick up a marvel comic and see a white dude with an eye patch running around and everyone calling him Nick.

WAS CAPTAIN AMERICA A RIP-OFF?

The character "The Shield" pre-dated Captain America by more than a year.  As you can see, he sported the very similar red, white and blue patriotic look and even used er... was a shield that Cap's first shield seemed to closely resemble.  When the creators complained of the similarities after Captain America debuted, Marvel responded with "what do you mean? Your guy is RED, white and blue, our guy is BLUE, red and white.  Your guy wears a shield, our guys uses a shield.  Your guy is named the shiled, our guys works for Shield.  Completely different."  But to throw them a bone, the shield was changed to the round shape we are all familiar with today.  Personally, I have a hard time feeling sorry for a hero that  can't bend at the waste.

AGENT COULSON LIVES!

Not really, that dude is dead as a door nail.  Really.. he was stabbed through the chest by a god and we watched him die on screen, stop it already!  This is the reason Jean Grey comes back every other year and death means nothing in comics, because you guys can't let go.  Seriously though, Coulson joins the select group of characters who finds life in the comic world after becoming popular on the big or small screen.  Joining characters like Harley Quinn and Batgirl who saw their debuts on TV before the they appeared in comics.  It would be totally cool if he came back in Avengers 2 as the Vision though.  (Damnit, see what you've done to me.)

Written or Contributed by xaraan

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 331 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Avengers 'Did you Know?' Edition

Postby e_galston » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm

i know you are trying to make a joke with the Jean comment, but she hasn't been alive for like 8 years...

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

e_galston wrote:i know you are trying to make a joke with the Jean comment, but she hasn't been alive for like 8 years...

You also could let it go too.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 pm

e_galston wrote:i know you are trying to make a joke with the Jean comment, but she hasn't been alive for like 8 years...

yes that somehow doesn't change the point of the joke

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Now I've got "Mary Did You Know?" going through my head, and its three months til Christmas! Thanks, Xarran! :roll:

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 218 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 am

^you officially have the worst taste in music :P

Jeremy Collins
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 113 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Avengers 'Did you Know?' Edition

Postby Jeremy Collins » Thu May 30, 2013 9:59 am

Coulson is alive in the new shield tv show.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu May 30, 2013 10:09 am

I read the first one as "The Hulk was originally supposed to gay". :derp:

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Thu May 30, 2013 4:41 pm

When did Conan pick up the hammer?

both made by Cat-Scratch

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: RE: Avengers 'Did you Know?' Edition

Postby Juan Cena » Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 pm

FBtron wrote:Coulson is alive in the new shield tv show.

People who read this stuff w/o checking the date when it was posted are so fraking awesome.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 331 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Chesscub wrote:I read the first one as "The Hulk was originally supposed to gay". :derp:

why else would Bruce banner risk his life for Rick Jones...

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Re: RE: Avengers 'Did you Know?' Edition

Postby jeremy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 pm

FBtron wrote:Coulson is alive in the new shield tv show.

You don't say? :shock:

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri May 31, 2013 9:22 am

e_galston wrote:
why else would Bruce banner risk his life for Rick Jones...

I figure that the reason Thunderbolt Ross was intent on chasing after Hulk was that Bruce Banner spurned his advances as a lover.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand