Advertisement

Review: Masters of the Universe 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts

Review: Masters of the Universe 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray

Postby LOLtron » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:03 am

Review: Masters of the Universe 25th Anniversary Blu Ray

Oh come on, you knew Zechs was going to buy and review this the moment it was announced.

Castle Grayskull has fallen. Skeletor has won. He-Man, Teela, and Man-At-Arms are on the run. The heroes' journey will send them from the throne room of the great castle of Eternia to a new world: ours. There, the battle between good and evil resumes with control of the universe hanging in the balance.

The Movie

You're in either of two camps about this movie: hate or love. If you hate it, it's due to a wide variety of reasons. There's no Battle-Cat, Orko, Trap-Jaw, and various other Masters of the Universe characters. It is the total opposite of the original Filmation cartoon series. The film reeks of Hollywood meddling.

I could go on, but alas, I'm in the other camp. I love this film. This film was made in the late 1980s, not in the early 90s or now. I accept the so called flaws given it was an era before computer generated effects and the meddling from Hollywood that they had with the film. The characters that don't appear? Dead weight to me. All the key Masters of the Universe characters are in this film: He-Man, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Beast Man, and the Sorceress of Grayskull.

Why am I so biased for this film? When I watch this film I see a passion and love here. I see actual work done with the set design, score, parts of the script, and character design. There is a deep appreciation for the property and trying to bring it out of the campy universe that originated in Filmation. This is a movie that can be appreciated by young and old. One that cannot and probably won't be made ever again. There's also a love for the work of Jack Kirby with the sets, costumes, plot points, and effects, as if something the King himself had created. These are all just small reasons why I love this film.

But of course all these reasons are me shying away from the greatest one. One I already said point blank in my Top 10 Most Underrated Villains of Comic Movies: Frank Langella as Skeletor. I'll say it again: this role by this actor. Langella's performance of Skeletor is cinematic villainy at it's absolute finest. Dropping the ridiculous “NYAAAAH!”, Langella's version commands your attention and by the first seconds of his appearance, you'll be glued into watching it. You won't forget the role by the end of this movie.

There are other highlights of the film, though. Dolph Lundgren is serviceable as He-Man and when he delivers THE line at the film's climax any true fan of this property will probably have the biggest grin on their face. There are portions of the cast that don't work, but other parts of the cast deliver some awesome character roles. Namely, James Tolken as the asshole/kick ass cop Lubic, Billy Barty as Gwildor, a VERY young Courtney Cox as Julie, Jon Cypher as Man-At-Arms, and Meg Foster as Evil-Lyn (who also chews the scenery equally when Langella isn't on screen with her). All of them give some nice performances in their own right. However, this movie is Langella's show. Though you will enjoy the other performances, it'll be Langella's Skeletor you'll remember by the end of this film.

5 out of 5

Picture Transfer & Sound Quality

Probably the reason some bought this movie, including myself. Well I have some good and bad news. The bad news is the audio of the movie is done on a simplistic 2.0 scale. We don't even get a 5.1 Dolby version of the film, which blows. You'd think Warner Brothers would have given a better audio transfer, but that's not the case, which is one of many marks against this release.

However, the good news is the transfer is great. One can really appreciate more the texture of the sets and the character design work more. Whenever Saurod, Karg, Gwlidor, Man-At-Arms, and Skeletor's various Robotic soldiers show up, you'll just pause and gawk at how awesome they look.

For the best example of this, I'll go with Karg. I really wasn't a fan of the character of Karg myself. Though on this transfer the make-up and effects really stand out more and do make me appreciate the character more. The same goes for poor Saurod, who is just an awesomely designed character who checked out of the film way too early.

If there's any negative, it is that there are moments when there's a black blur which occurs at the fight in the junk yard and when the Masters cruise to the music shop. Surprisingly, this issue never surfaces when Skeletor is on screen. Perhaps Langella's will as Skeletor commands the transfer to be absolutely perfect whenever he's on screen. I'll go with that wonky theory thank you very much.

Picture: 4 out of 5

Sound: 2 out of 5

Extras

If you bought the 20th Anniversary Edition of this film, than I have some bad news for you. That version has more extras than this one. Yes, the only difference between this version and the previous regular DVD one is a simple cast credit list. No new commentary track. You get the same one the 20th Anniversary release had (the film's director Gary Goddard).Other than that it's the same exact load of “special features” which I think is a load of bull.

If you look well enough on the web, there's a ton of extras that could and SHOULD have been on this disc. The storyboards of various scenes (which I've been posting in this review) SHOULD have been included in this. A ten minute portion of a documentary called TOY MASTERS,  details the hurdles Goddard had to overcome in making this film isn't included either. No digital copy of the comic Marvel (or DC I forget which) made when the movie originally came out. Nothing, not a single drop of appreciation. Just a bare bones movie, which just sucks. I know the bad reputation this movie gets, but at the very least it should have gotten a bit more extras put into it. This just screams "simple cash in." The fans who love this movie deserve more than the cheap scraps thrown at them.

0 out of 5

Overall

If you own the 20th Anniversary Edition really, I say keep it and wait. The only worthy feature here is the movie itself on Blu-Ray. Even with the flaws that came about because Warner Brothers decided to be idiots, the movie and transfer are for the most part pretty good. I'd say the only reason to buy this film is if you're like me, and that you cherish the film for what it is. That you look past the faults and look at the magic this film is. Oh, plus just sit and watch one of the greatest cinema villains of all time just do his thing.

3 out of 5

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Review: Masters of the Universe 25th Anniversary Blu Ray

Postby bkthomson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 am

We do not need to know this. . .
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 198 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 am

bkthomson wrote:We do not need to know this. . .

This doesn't bode well for Vertigo. . .

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 515 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:18 pm

5 out of 5? Wow.
Image Image Image ImageImage

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 277 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 pm

loved this movie!
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 pm

sdsichero wrote:5 out of 5? Wow.

One of my favorite films. Would I judge it lesser?

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Zechs wrote:
One of my favorite films. Would I judge it lesser?

Yes.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:25 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Yes.

NEVER!

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Zechs wrote:
NEVER!

Zechs = Image

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Zechs = Image

I am not in a giving vein this day SD!!!

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Zechs wrote:

Err... okay.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:51 pm

I must say, I still enjoy the hell out of this movie. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid, and everytime it shows up on cable, I will sit there and watch it all the way to the end. And Zechs is right about Langella's performance as Skeletor. He totally threw himself into the role, and he was obviously having a ton of fun.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:02 pm

I like this movie too but it's a guilty pleasure. I was always annoyed that about 20 minutes of the movie actually took place on Eternia. Always felt that was the studio cheaping out.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Zechs wrote:

Go check out the FF preview, it'll cheer you up.

Hab

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:I must say, I still enjoy the hell out of this movie. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid, and everytime it shows up on cable, I will sit there and watch it all the way to the end. And Zechs is right about Langella's performance as Skeletor. He totally threw himself into the role, and he was obviously having a ton of fun.

The same here. I still remember seeing it with my aunt at some old fashioned theater. I remember just being all :shock: at everything. Any time I saw this film on Showtime or TBS I stop anything and watch it.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum