Advertisement

Comic Book Media Braces for Deluge of Company PR After Hurricane Sandy

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Damage to property and infrastructure from Hurricane Sandy is expected to be devastating, but not nearly as devastating as the damage to the comic book public relations industry.

As the superstorm, Hurricane Sandy, brings floods across the Eastern Seaboard, a tidal wave of unsent press releases and graphical teasers is building in the outboxes of PR reps at Marvel and DC Comics. Both companies, based out of New York City, are unable to send press releases out to the media while their offices are closed for the weather, which is wreaking havoc on the twenty-four hour comics news cycle. As millions go without electricity or running water in affected areas, millions more across the country will have to go without the latest information about the upcoming Deadpool relaunch or news of whether or not Batman #13 is going back to press for a fourth printing.

"We have this really important series of sixteen teasers that build up to an announcement of a new Avengers book," said Tom Brevoort, communicating via carrier pigeon from the roof of his home. "We were dying to get a start on this Monday, but due to the storm, we'll have to put out three a day for the rest of the week just to catch up. And that doesn't even take into account the number of exclusive fluff interviews for sites like CBR and IGN."

The storm is affecting companies in other ways as well. There are unconfirmed reports that Valiant has pulled its sponsorship of Hurricane Sandy after it refused to dress like Bloodshot. The deal was said to cost Hurricane Sandy a low six figure sum. On a related note, Bluewater announced that it would be publishing a biography comic of the hurricane, showing its progression from butterfly wing flaps to destructive force of nature.

Marvel, for its part, is considering a lawsuit against the storm for infringements on its copyrights of destroying New York city with giant tidal waves, an idea recycled frequently by the company for a Namor the Submariner appearance or an Ultimate Comics line reboot.

"We're not going to let an overgrown tropical storm trample all over our intellectual property," said Joe Quesada, who was floating through Times Square in a canoe fashioned out of an old-timey bathtub, "no matter how many high or low pressure systems it has merged with." Quesada also announced that it would be releasing "Hurricane Sandy" variant covers, depicting the hurricane as various Marvel heroes.

The company is expected to exploit commemorate the storm with a special tribute issue in which Marvel's heroes pitch in to clean up the wreckage caused by the event, and in which Marvel's most popular character, Wolverine, kills the storm with his claws. "I ain't met an act of nature I can't stab, bub," said the surly mutant. In the Marvel Universe, the heroes will blame the storm on Storm in order to quietly remove her from contention for leader of the X-Men and make her even more boring than she already is.

Dan Didio, meanwhile, has expressed excitement over the story possibilities Hurricane Sandy has provided. "We've been planning our Aquaman vs. Weather Wizard storyline for some time now, and we feel this is the perfect marketing opportunity."

The storm has presented other opportunities for DC as well, serving as a convenient excuse to further shit on fan favorite characters. "We were all set to go with those Fourth Wave Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Donna Troy, and Wally West books," said Didio, who was standing at the mast of a Viking warship being rowed through choppy floodwaters by a team of oompa loompas, "but they were all destroyed in a flood, though our marketing department is telling me that calling it a 'Wave' might be in poor taste due to the hurricane."

Authorities are looking into whether the drinking water supply will need to be cleansed after contamination by the toxic characters.

On the bright side, suggested Didio, collectors of pre-reboot DC comics may be finally find a use for their collections after they were rendered irrelevant by last year's reboot. "You won't believe how those Geoff Johns Flash Omnibus's are surprisingly good blockers of water."

As the Outhouse and other reputable news organizations brace for the impact of the tsunami of unsent press releases, certain less desirable journalists seem unconcerned by the whole event. "Wot, wot," said Rich Johnston, the proprietor of tabloid rumor mill Bleeding Cool.  "Oi already spoiled e'erythin' there was to say.  Doesn' affect me one bit, does it.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pinch some articles from blogs without citin' 'em!  Right then. Cheerio!"

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

richjohnston
Tip Top Dancer

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Comic Book Media Braces for Deluge of Company PR After H

Postby richjohnston » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:54 pm

I always cite blogs when I pinch from them. Pip pip!

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:05 pm

BLIMEY! It's me mate, Richard! :shock:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1173 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:39 pm

richjohnston wrote:I always cite blogs when I pinch from them. Pip pip!

RICCH!!!!!!! :lol:

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand