Advertisement

Geoff Johns Discusses "Throne Of Atlantis"

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 202 posts

Geoff Johns Discusses "Throne Of Atlantis"

Postby LOLtron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:18 am

Geoff Johns Discusses

The 'Throne Of Atlantis' cross-over event begins in December with Justice League #15

Source: Press Release - DC Blog

“Throne of Atlantis” officially kicks off in Justice League #15, followed by part two in Aquaman #15.  Both issues will be hitting stores on December 26. In a Press Release over at the DC Blog, writer Geoff Johns teased what readers can expect from each series and “Throne of Atlantis” as a whole.

“It’s the Justice League going up against Atlantis,” Johns explains. “The complexities to that, what Atlantis is, why they attack, what are their view points is really at the heart of the story. The politics and the laws of Atlantis are extremely different than ours and the reasons they attack are a set of circumstances that are a mystery at the center of the story. What triggers the war is a part of the mystery that unravels.” 

Half-brothers — Ocean Master and Aquaman — will not clearly be representing good and evil.

With Ocean Master, Johns promises to explore the sides of the character that are not necessarily villainous, comparing Ocean Master to other characters considered to be both heroes and villains — like Sinestro and Black Adam. But he also adds that the character is not like "any other villain I've tackled.  He's someone who actually cares very much for his brother. He doesn't understand his brother, Arthur, at all. And he cares for him, because he's his brother.
He has violent tendencies, just like all Atlanteans do, as we've also seen with Arthur. And he has a perspective on the surface world that's very different from Arthur's, but shared with the Atlanteans."

Orm won’t be known as Ocean Master when the story begins. He actually earns that name in this storyline, and eventually the readers will see why.

And although he described "Throne of Atlantis" as being character-focused, the crossover promises plenty of action, with The Trench playing a role, the Atlanteans battling the Justice League, and Johns revealing that there will be "a lot of other heroes" involved too.

Superman and Wonder Woman have a big role in this story. Cyborg has a massive role in "Throne of Atlantis." Everyone will have a big role. Just because Arthur is the focus doesn't mean everyone won't play a role. It's just that he gets a little more of the spotlight.
And then as we move forward in Justice League, you'll see the spotlight rotate a bit in the second year. We will see other Atlanteans, but I’m not saying who just yet.

The crossover also marks creative team changes for both titles.  Paul Pelletier will take over art on Aquaman, while the title's former art team of Ivan Reis and Joe Prado move over to Justice League.

The crossover prelude begins in Aquaman #14 this Wednesday.
The cross-over officially  begins in December with Justice League #15
It continues in Aquaman #15, Justice League #16 and Aquaman #16
The crossover has its finale in Justice League #17 — with solicitations promising that the membership of the League will then be expanding.

Below, take a look at Ivan Reis and Joe Prado’s interior art for Justice League #15, along with covers to Aquaman and Justice League.

You can also check out additional interviews that Johns conducted with MTV GEEK, IGN, COMIC BOOK RESOURCES, NEWSARAMA, and COMIC VINE.

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Geoff Johns Discusses

Postby chap22 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 pm

i realize this is supposed to be a "new DCU" and therefore Johns has room to blank-slate or borrow from the old as much or as little as he wants to, but this just sounds like he has NO clue who Ocean Master is. he doesn't care one damn bit for Arthur, never has...it's always been part of their whole half-brother relationship. nor is he a character "considered to be both heroes and villains", and neither were Sinestro nor Black Adam until Johns got a hold of them and changed them.

goddammit Geoff, stop shoehorning the same writing/storytelling tricks into everyone you write. it's OK from time to time to write characters differently...that's part of being different characters. sometimes it's OK to just let a villain be a bad guy. nobody at Marvel is trying to make Red Skull all warm and cuddly, and that guy doesn't seem to be suffering any for that fact.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 am

I see what you're saying as far as Orm getting the same treatment as Black Adam.

However in Aquaman #0 it was explained that Orm was ruling Atlantis after he (allegedly) had his own father and Atlanna murdered so that he could get the throne. Then when Arthur returned to Atlantis with Vulko, Arthur regained control. That part is different than the previous versions, right ? At least it sets up a different plot-point for their conflict.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:I see what you're saying as far as Orm getting the same treatment as Black Adam.

However in Aquaman #0 it was explained that Orm was ruling Atlantis after he (allegedly) had his own father and Atlanna murdered so that he could get the throne. Then when Arthur returned to Atlantis with Vulko, Arthur regained control. That part is different than the previous versions, right ? At least it sets up a different plot-point for their conflict.

even so, does having his dad and Arthur's mom knocked off so he could take the throne sound in any way like somebody who's "considered to be both heroes and villains"? b/c it sure doesn't to me...
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 58 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 pm

In reading the avengers disassembled trade, Brandi's basically said the marvel way is build on what's come before. Johns used to be like that. No longer. And without the rich history to draw on, I'm finding his writing lacking

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Comic Vine posted the Jim Lee variant cover to Aquaman #15 today.

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 232 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 pm

chap22 wrote:i realize this is supposed to be a "new DCU" and therefore Johns has room to blank-slate or borrow from the old as much or as little as he wants to, but this just sounds like he has NO clue who Ocean Master is. he doesn't care one damn bit for Arthur, never has...it's always been part of their whole half-brother relationship. nor is he a character "considered to be both heroes and villains", and neither were Sinestro nor Black Adam until Johns got a hold of them and changed them.

goddammit Geoff, stop shoehorning the same writing/storytelling tricks into everyone you write. it's OK from time to time to write characters differently...that's part of being different characters. sometimes it's OK to just let a villain be a bad guy. nobody at Marvel is trying to make Red Skull all warm and cuddly, and that guy doesn't seem to be suffering any for that fact.

For the most part, I agree with you, but... Umm... I kinda liked Black Adam that way. Sinestro, of course not.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:14 pm

chap22 wrote:i realize this is supposed to be a "new DCU" and therefore Johns has room to blank-slate or borrow from the old as much or as little as he wants to, but this just sounds like he has NO clue who Ocean Master is. he doesn't care one damn bit for Arthur, never has...it's always been part of their whole half-brother relationship. nor is he a character "considered to be both heroes and villains", and neither were Sinestro nor Black Adam until Johns got a hold of them and changed them.

Johns has talked like his version of a character/team is the only version that's ever existed before.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 252 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:14 am

chap22 wrote:even so, does having his dad and Arthur's mom knocked off so he could take the throne sound in any way like somebody who's "considered to be both heroes and villains"? b/c it sure doesn't to me...

Chap does have a good point here.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:19 pm

"Allegedly". It hasn't been proven yet who actually killed them.

Also there's some other unknown Big Bad that has been playing Puppet Master in "Aquaman" and now with this war.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand