Advertisement

DC Shocker: Jim Zubkavich Takes Over Birds of Prey

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:32 am

The Skullkickers writer will start in March 2013.

Source: CBR

Jim Zubkavich, writer of Skullkickers, will be taking over DC Comics' Birds of Prey beginning with issue #18.  The series had been previously written by Duane Swierczynski, who had been writing the book since issue #1.  Series artist Romano Molenaar will remain on as artist

In an interview with CBR, Zubkavich stated that his first arc would be focusing on Mr. Freeze and that the team would be adding the former Court of Owl Talon Strix.  He also added that a new group, the Daughters of the Dawn would also have a presence in the book.

Zubkavich had been making headlines recently with several posts on his blog that detailed how much money creators make on creator-owned work.  We're glad to see Zubkavich suppliment his income by working for DC and applaud DC for bringing in more new creators (something we suggested two years ago). 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: DC Shocker: Jim Zubkavich Takes Over Birds of Prey

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:15 am

I also applaud this new partnership between DC Comics and Ramen Noodles to help find the hungry new talent out there.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

It's good that DC is FINALLY stopped going into the Marvel 90s well at long last. Hopefully it isn't too little too late for this book.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Freeze was pretty cool (no pun) in the Batman Annual and that tied into the Court of Owls playing him, so odds are anyone who bought that issue may check out this one also.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Bass

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby The Bass » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 am

Kinda funny that the guy who turned his book into "Uncanny Skullkickers", now has no problem taking the corporate money.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

The Bass wrote:Kinda funny that the guy who turned his book into "Uncanny Skullkickers", now has no problem taking the corporate money.

You do realize that he's done licensed work for Dynamite and NamcoBandai, right?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:13 pm

GLX wrote:
You do realize that he's done licensed work for Dynamite and NamcoBandai, right?

I doubt it. It's a strange accusation to throw at someone who built a career working with the Capcom license...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:31 pm

From an interview today at Newsarama:

Birds of Prey gets what the new writer is calling an "exciting new direction" with "big stories."

The Birds have had a really tough go so far in the New 52 with betrayal and death dragging behind them and more mission failures so far than successes. I’m not turning away from that, quite the opposite. The team is going to need to face their fears head-on, and we’ll see how they change on the other side. I don’t want to get any more specific than that right now. Suffice to say there are choppy waters ahead.

The Daughters of the Dawn are a brand new threat that ties into some unexpected past elements. They’re maneuvering in the background and when they make their presence felt in the series it’ll get people’s blood pumping. Can’t say too much beyond that right now.

Black Canary:
Dinah’s going to try stepping into a stronger leadership role, but with all of the difficulties she’s been facing that’s not going to be easy. Even still, one of Dinah’s most enduring traits is that she never gives up, so expect the stories ahead to really test that.

Batgirl:
Barbara’s been splitting her time between solo adventures and her time with the Birds, but she needs to decide how much she can dedicate to the team and what that means to her. She wanted to prove she could be a crime fighter again, and she’s done that, so now she has to figure out where she’s meant to be.

Strix:
Mary is an incredibly deadly assassin with the moral and mental understanding of a relatively young girl. She was indoctrinated and abused by the Court of Owls and those wounds don’t just vanish just because she’s with a better group of people. She needs an emotional anchor and the Birds may grow to become that.

Starling:
Ev was revealed as a double agent for Amanda Waller (who runs the Suicide Squad) in Birds of Prey #0 and that’s definitely going to cause problems as the story continues. Starling’s the kind of person who thinks she’s too smart and too quick to ever be pinned down, and that over confidence is going to cost her.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand