Advertisement

Gerard Way's Fabulous Killjoys Launches in June 2013 at Dark Horse

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 am

The Umbrella Academy creator's sci-fi epic will be published next year!

Source: Press Release

If there's one positive thing this reporter can say about Gerard Way's comic book work, it's that working on comics means less time for Way to make music with his horrible emo band, My Chemical Romance. Now, don't get me wrong. Way's Umbrella Academy won an Eisner and is highly critically acclaimed, and has a lot of fans right here on The Outhouse. Dark Horse doesn't make bad comics. This will probably be a modern classic. It's just that My Chemical Romance is so bad, the delay of the release of new material takes precedence over any other accomplishment. Way's comic book work could cure cancer, end world hunger, and cause ComicBookResources to write an interesting article, and we would still say that delaying the release of MCR's upcoming fifth studio album is the greatest thing to come out of it.

That's why we're thrilled to learn that Dark Horse will be publishing way's next epic, The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, will be published in June, 2013, with a preview launching on Free Comic Book Day. The book follows up on the story from My Chemical Romance's 2010 album, Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, a concept album about cutting yourself. The book is sure to garner the praise of many of my associates here at The Outhouse, as well as critics throughout the industry (and not just the ones at CBR who give everything 5 stars), but this reporter will have no idea what they're talking about, since he doesn't plan to read it.

Even so, I applaud the efforts of Way and his collaborators, Shaun Simon and Becky Cloonan, in keeping Way working at something other than recording music, even if just for a short while.

Here's the press release:

THE WAIT IS OVER! THE TRUE LIVES OF THE FABULOUS KILLJOYS LAUNCHES IN JUNE 2013!

MILWAUKIE, OR, DECEMBER 17­—In 2009, when Dark Horse first announced a new project from Grammy-nominated frontman turned Eisner-winning comics writer Gerard Way (The Umbrella Academy), the response from music and comics fans alike was overwhelming. Now, Dark Horse is thrilled to announce that Gerard Way, Shaun Simon, and Becky Cloonan’s highly anticipated sci-fi epic will finally see publication in 2013!

Welcome to Battery City, where the disease is the cure!

In My Chemical Romance’s critically acclaimed album Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, the Killjoys fought against the tyrannical megacorporation Better Living Industries. It cost them their lives, save for one—the mysterious Girl. Today, the followers of the original Killjoys languish in the desert while BLI systematically strips citizens of their individuality. As the fight for freedom fades, it’s left to the Girl to take up the mantle and bring down the fearsome BLI or else join the mindless ranks of Bat City!

“The original idea for the comic informed the record,” said Gerard Way. “The record helped refine the idea, and then Becky had done a drawing of the Girl for the single ‘The Only Hope for Me Is You’ and I saw it and thought, this is the comic. It’s basically the last video, it’s the last part of the Killjoys story, while at the same time being totally its own thing.”

“I think we have created a broad range of characters here,” said cowriter Shaun Simon. “A lonely teenage girl hiding from her past in the desert. A couple of android call girls wanting nothing more than to be together. An aging assassin with a secret that could destroy his life . . . Even though these characters are living in a bizarre sci-fi world, their struggles are the same we face in our own.”

“The world of the Killjoys is full of visual opposites—from sprawling deserts to urban junkyards—and a cast of characters to match,” said artist Becky Cloonan. “It’s been a challenge to encompass all of this in my art, but woven into the world building is a human spark that lights this story on fire and gives me so much to draw from.”

As announced at New York Comic Con, an early look into this world will be published as part of Free Comic Book Day 2013, with the first issue hitting stands the following month on June 6!

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Gerard Way's Fabulous Killjoys Launches in June 2013 at

Postby Keb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 pm

We all know you keep two of their CDs in your car. Don't lie Jude.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Would prefer more Umbrella Academy, but still, BOUGHT.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 pm

You are a despicable liar Keb, which I suppose should be expected from a Canadian. :x
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:30 pm

I have 3 of their CDs in my mp3 player as I type this and I will go listen to them, just to spite all of you!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:Would prefer more Umbrella Academy, but still, BOUGHT.

Same here. 8)

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:47 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:Would prefer more Umbrella Academy, but still, BOUGHT.

Me three.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 am

ThatGuyRoman wrote:I have 3 of their CDs in my mp3 player as I type this and I will go listen to them, just to spite all of you!

Yo how you get CDs in a .mp3 player?

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 am

Keb wrote:Yo how you get CDs in a .mp3 player?

... rip 'em, send 'em, PLAY 'em!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:27 pm

So you'd rip them into .wav or .mp3 files no? So essentially, you are not putting a CD into the .mp3 player?

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Keb wrote:So you'd rip them into .wav or .mp3 files no? So essentially, you are not putting a CD into the .mp3 player?

ANTI-SEMANTICSIST!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand