Saturday, July 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Yamato Not Sunk Yet? [Small Update]

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 pm

Would you really want one? It was probably be ass and they would want to launch a franchise of sequels.

I like the Japanese live action one.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Would you really want one? It was probably be ass and they would want to launch a franchise of sequels.

I like the Japanese live action one.

No I doubt I'd like the result of the American version. Though I didn't hate Star Blazers.

When Disney had the rights, they wanted to make it the USS Arizona. Ugh.

I hated the ending of the Japanese live-action one.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 pm

The ending was a little dumb. Like Star Trek movie dumb.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The ending was a little dumb. Like Star Trek movie dumb.

Well that and they really didn't get into the Gamilas much. They were much more well-rounded in the series.

The movie kind of cut off the possibilities of future movies resembling the rest of the animated Yamato saga.

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:33 pm

It looks like the U.S. live-action version of Yamato may still be alive.

Source: McQuarrie On "Mission Impossible 5" & Beyond

In a rountable interview with Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects, X-Men, The Wolverine), the screenwriter noted that Star Blazers may be getting close to winning in the rights negotiation battle.

… there’s one last piece in the chain that needs to be worked out and when that’s done I would immediately be able to start writing that.

So sort of close, yet far. But not dead. Yet.

Star Blazers is the 1979 adaptation of the 1974 Space Battleship Yamato (??????? Uch? Senkan Yamato) anime. The story revolves around the intrepid crew of the Yamato (in Star Blazers, The Argo) to retrieve a device to save the Earth which will die in a year. The Yamato is a repurposed World War II Japanese battleship filled with experimental technoliges. Not only are they on a deadline, they are also being pursued by the deadly Gamilas (Gamilons).

UPDATE 10-30-13

Deadline is reporting that Christopher McQuarrie is indeed set to write and direct the Star Blazers movie. So this ship is slowing launching from the docks... We'll keep an eye out for more.

Written or Contributed by sdsichero

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 am

Reading about a possible "Champions" movie in that link was more interesting 8)

I have the complete DVD set.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:02 pm

whoa loltron messed up my article when I updated it... :smt013

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:40 pm

sdsichero wrote:
No I doubt I'd like the result of the American version. Though I didn't hate Star Blazers.

When Disney had the rights, they wanted to make it the USS Arizona. Ugh.

I hated the ending of the Japanese live-action one.

Well I think that a quite a few veterans groups and all-around patriots, ignorant of film's anime origins, might get a little miffed over using a Japanese WWII battleship.

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Well I think that a quite a few veterans groups and all-around patriots, ignorant of film's anime origins, might get a little miffed over using a Japanese WWII battleship.

I doubt they're in the target audience...

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:16 pm

They should rename the ship Bismarck. :P

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Zechs wrote:They should rename the ship Bismarck. :P

They should rename it the USS AMERICA FUCK YEAH.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

They can go home and cry to their mamas

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

I really think WW2 vets these have more important things to worry about. Like not dying in their oatmeal of old age...

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Hey SD... on your ability to post article updates here...

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
I really think WW2 vets these have more important things to worry about. Like not dying in their oatmeal of old age...

How they got in their oatmeal... :groucho:

Quaker Oats oatmeal of old age.

leave a comment with facebook