Advertisement

Next Skyrim DLC: Redguard?? (Updated)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 am

Since I like to post Skyrim rumors, some that even end up being right on the money, I guess it's time to talk the latest: Redguard.

Source: digitalspy

My track record on Skyrim DLC predictions has been pretty good so far.  I think only expecting Hearthfire to be bigger than it was as a very early prediction was my biggest miss, but for the most part the rumors have come pretty close if not exact.  That is because the rumors have been based on leaks of some sort, whether a beta tester, cracked code, or trademark registration.  The last is what started this newest rumor from digitalspy.com, but I'm not so sure this one will go into the "win" category for us.

Bethesda has an expiration coming up for the name "Redguard" in February for a trademark filed in March of 2011.  The only difference is every other trademark registration that led to a DLC occurred just months before the DLC's were announced.  The fact that Redguard is simply a common Elder Scrolls term (being one of the human races) it is all too possible that it was registered for future game use as well.

The Pros:

Some dismiss the extension as just Bethesda trademarking names, but once you realize they don't have trademarks on all their races and locations and you see Redguard standing out from the pack.

The city of "Dragonstar", said to be a site of conflict between Skyrim and Hammerfell (The country for the redguard people) and "Dragons Gate".  Having a connection to dragons and the possibility of limiting the DLC to one city and some small amount of countryside helps eliminate one of the cons listed below.  Not to mention the city itself was a divided city between the Redguards and Nords, similar to the way Berlin was cut in half in the cold war.  This area has a strong connection to Skryim.

The "In My Time of Need" quest from the main Skyrim game: the hero helps either the Alik'r (redguard warriors) find a redguard woman they are looking for or help the woman and get rid of the Alik'r.  Nothing else has been touched upon from this quest and out of many sidequests in Skyrim, this one seems to leave something hanging.

Hammerfell has played a different role in the war between the Thalmor and the Empire than most other countries.  They were given up by the Empire in a treaty, but rebelled against the Thalmor and became their own independant country.  This could offer some interesting story opportunities dealing with the war.

The Cons:

The early registration makes it stick out from the other DLC, they even registered this name before Skyrim launched.  I almost see it more as a bigger possibility for Elder Scrolls VI, than for a DLC.  Plus, let's not forget that Zenimax, the company that owns Bethesda, is also developing Elder Scrolls Online and it could be connected to that.

Redguard is a pretty odd name for a DLC.  They've never named a game or DLC after a race of people.

Another reason it is more fitting for a whole game and not a DLC is the size.  We are talking about a map as big or bigger than Skyrim.  We definitely won't see all of Hammerfell in a DLC, but why give up a piece of it when it would make a great game on its own? 

In the end, I see more pros for this to become a DLC than cons, or I'm just talking myself into wanting to believe it, but we really only have this trademark situation to go by for now.  As soon as I have more solid news, I'll definitely post it, but for now, it's interesting to think about.

Update:

Well, besides talking myself into wanting this to be true; I've found little more at this point other than other sites slowly posting the same rumors.

Additional information about the copyright though: It was registered as a "downloadable computer game software offered via the internet and wireless devices", which is often how DLC is registered. 

And our good buddy Pete Hines that handles PR for Bethesda offered this tidbit when asked about the rumor (which is why I don't bother much anymore with contacting them):

Another theory from XBox Mag is that a Redguard DLC could take us to the Hammerfell island of Stros M'kai (which was the setting for the old Redguard: Adventures game).  The island is filled with Dwemer ruins, the artifact "The Orrery" and where the imperial dragon Nafaaliagus was defeated by a Redguard Mercenary.  The island also is in a strategic location near the Summerset Isles.  Personally, I put my money on Dragonstar, but Stros M'kai shouldn't be ruled out yet.

Stay tuned to The Outhouse for the latest Skyrim news as I feed my addiction.  I'll post as soon as I have further info on their next DLC or info on the release of Dragonborn for PC/PS3.

Written or Contributed by xaraan

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Next Skyrim DLC: Redguard?

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:07 am

When are they going to cut the price on this?

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 am

I'm just finishing up Oblivion. Looking forward to hitting Skyrim as my next big game. Before then I'm going to take a break from the huge games so my husband can see me. I'm well over 100 hours into Oblivion. Did the main quest and Knights of the Nine (Umeril is a bitch, they built him up as a big evil and I killed him quickly) and working on finishing up Shivering Isles.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 am

Chesscub wrote:I'm just finishing up Oblivion. Looking forward to hitting Skyrim as my next big game. Before then I'm going to take a break from the huge games so my husband can see me. I'm well over 100 hours into Oblivion. Did the main quest and Knights of the Nine (Umeril is a bitch, they built him up as a big evil and I killed him quickly) and working on finishing up Shivering Isles.

You will easily sink twice as much time into Skyrim. The developers give you a lot to do.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 am

I almost wonder if the name was trademarked due to plans to do something with the previous game with that title. Maybe Bethesda wants or wanted to port it to mobile devices or something.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am

MrBlack wrote:You will easily sink twice as much time into Skyrim. The developers give you a lot to do.

Yikes! :shock:

I guess I should finish off some of the other games first then. Like Bioshock 2 (Infinite is coming out soon).

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Yikes! :shock:

I guess I should finish off some of the other games first then. Like Bioshock 2 (Infinite is coming out soon).

I'm still on the fence about Infinite. It looks great, and the story has potential, but the demos may be promising more than they can deliver. I never tried Bioshock 2. It seemed like a cheap, cash-in sequel built around my least favorite part of the original game (protecting Little Sisters).

I'll need to check and see how many hours I've sunk into Skyrim over the past year, but it's a lot. Definitely more than I put into Oblivion, and potentially more than I sank into Fallout 3. I've essentially given up on getting any new games until I feel "done" with it. I've still got The Witcher 2 and a bunch of other games on my "to play" pile.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 am

holtom2000 wrote:When are they going to cut the price on this?

Cut the price on what? Skyrim? They do all the time for PC, almost every Steam sale it goes on sale. It's also gone on sale almost everytime they release a DLC as well. Usually 40% off, but sometimes more, including the older DLC's.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:02 am

MrBlack wrote:I almost wonder if the name was trademarked due to plans to do something with the previous game with that title. Maybe Bethesda wants or wanted to port it to mobile devices or something.

I wondered about other Bethesda games, but not mobile. It was first registered earlier in the year that Skyrim launched. So too late for any other games. And seems a bit early for use in the Elder Scrolls Online MMO they are working on now. As for the old game - relaunching it for mobile, I don't think it was all that popular so wouldn't put my money on that, but it's not a bad theory. I just think the way they keep their games moving forward, they wouldn't release an older, not as popular game that took place centuries before Skyrim and it's not worth remaking the game to bring it up to date in Tamriel history just for the mobile platform. Still, probably the best guess next to future Skyrim DLC I've seen probably.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum