Advertisement

Shocking New Stereotype: Girls Don't Like Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

The television show Big Bang Theory has introduced an absurd and sexist stereotype: girls don't like comic books.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston, a staunch and chivalrous defender of womyn everywhere, has exposed an insulting and, dare we say, sexist "humor" concept being explored by the television show The Big Bang Theory. In a trailer for the latest episode of the show, which airs on Thursday on CBS, an announcer says that that the female actresses on the show go "where no girl has gone before," showing Kaley Cuoco, Melissa Rauch, and Blossom Russo entering the gang's comic book shop. Shocked by the presence of women in the store, all of the fat, geeky, male customers turn and gape. Johnston has put out a call for female readers who have been to comic shops to write in to him with their stories so that he can prove that Big Bang Theory is wrong.

The Outhouse agrees with Johnston. Where is this idea that girls don't like comics coming from? This reporter can't remember the last time I was able to go to a comic book shop without fighting my way through throngs of excited female customers. The crowds of women that gather outside comic book shops on Wednesday mornings, waiting for the store to open so they can pick up the latest comic books, border on a plague that makes comic book shopping impossible, with the long lines, crowded rooms, and toxic yet alluring mixture of twenty-seven different kinds of perfume that can create effects similar to mustard gas when inhaled together.

In England, where Johnston lives, the menace of women swarming comic book shops is even worse. The Outhouse has obtained this exclusive footage of Johnston's last visit to the comic book shop, which we present now as evidence that The Big Bang Theory is completely wrong:

Why is The Big Bang Theory doing this?! Don't they care about equality?

The Outhouse investigated this bigotry, and we have learned that The Big Bang Theory is a "sitcom," short, apparently, for "situational comedy." The show attempts to use something called "humor" to make people "laugh." Drawing on perceptions that "geeky men" are "awkward" around women, the "show" is "making light" of the stereotype of "comic books" as a "niche market" appealing mostly to "fat, socially-inept man-children."

Unacceptable. As far as The Outhouse is concerned, "humor" has no place in a situational comedy. We're glad that Rich Johnston has exposed this disturbing trend, and offer him our full support, so long as that full support does not require anything beyond writing this article, because we have short attention spans, and also because we are lazy.

In fact, The Outhouse is shocked and dismayed to learn that "humor" is not only restricted to "situational comedies," but, in fact, runs rampant throughout society. Believe it or not, there is actually an entire profession called "comedians" which consists of "people" standing on a stage and telling "jokes" to an "audience." This type of blatant misogyny cannot be allowed to continue. The Outhouse would suggest rounding up all funny people on trains and sending them to concentration camps, but such a suggestion might be too close to this new phenomenon called "joking" that we have just learned about.

We have a better idea anyway. The media, starting with The Outhouse and Bleeding Cool, should become extremely over-sensitive and act offended at anything resembling a joke, making the world a hostile environment for people trying to be funny. This is a strategy that is sure to make the world a better place where sexism, racism, and all other evils are eliminated by a united front of utter seriousness.

We urge all of you, dear readers, to join us in this crusade. Rich Johnston hopes to solve this problem with letters from female comic book readers telling stories of going to the comic book shop, but The Outhouse says that's not enough. If you ladies really want to make a difference here, please, without any further delay, email pictures of your breasts to ComicsAreSeriousBusiness@gmail.com. You will be doing a service, not just for your fellow female comic book fans, but for women on Earth and elsewhere in the universe.

In case you aren't riled up enough, here's a video of the Big Bang Theory trailer that has set back the feminism movement 100 years:

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Shocking New Stereotype: Girls Don't Like Comics

Postby Keb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:10 pm

I used to go to a comic book shop that had not one but two (yes TWO) girls working there.

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Keb wrote:I used to go to a comic book shop that had not one but two (yes TWO) girls working there.

hot?

guitargod694
Post Whore

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Keb wrote:I used to go to a comic book shop that had not one but two (yes TWO) girls working there.

I think I've only been to one comic shop here that didn't have at least two female employees.
-Bill-

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Schlemmer wrote:hot?

Not really.

Now that I think of it, there were three women who worked at that store, but one of them was the owner's mom...

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 pm

The Big Bang Theory is just a terrible show that shouldn't be watched by anyone.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:The Big Bang Theory is just a terrible show that shouldn't be watched by anyone.

Yup.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Funny show.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:40 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:The Big Bang Theory is just a terrible show that shouldn't be watched by anyone.

Spot on.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:42 pm

The fact is:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 852 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:53 pm

ImageImageImage

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 109 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Jubilee wrote:
Spot on.

BAZINGA? :D

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 115 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm

I like the show a lot.

I don't get all the hate. :smt102

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 284 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:55 pm

We have a better idea anyway. The media, starting with The Outhouse and Bleeding Cool, should become extremely over-sensitive and act offended at anything resembling a joke, making the world a hostile environment for people trying to be funny.

I am offended by how long and unfunny your latest attempt to be funny was. :P

In a trailer for the latest episode of the show, which airs on Thursday on CBS, an announcer says that that the female actresses on the show go "where no girl has gone before," showing Kaley Cuoco, Melissa Rauch, and Blossom Russo entering the gang's comic book shop.

Problem is the joke doesn't work; Penny's been in the comic book store before.

BTW, cute "Blossom Russo" gag there. "WHOA!!" :D

oogy wrote:I like the show a lot.

I don't get all the hate. :smt102

Co-signed.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Of course girls hate comic books. They don't know how to read.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand