Advertisement

Comics Buyers Guide Ceases Publication, Cites "No Comics Worth Buying" as Reason

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 232 posts

Comics Buyers Guide Ceases Publication, Cites "No Comics Worth Buying" as Reason

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Comics Buyers Guide Ceases Publication, Citing

After more than 40 years of advising comic buyers, the magazine will ship its final issue in March.

Source: CBGExtra

F+W Media announced today that it will be shutting down Comic Buyers Guide, the longest running English language print publication reporting on the comic book industry, according to Wikipedia. The press release cites "a lack of any comics worth buying" as the main reason for the action, confirming an opinion that has long been held by the internet.

"Comics suck," said one internet comic book fan, adding, "I quit reading them years ago, and now I just hang around on message boards and twitter and complain about whatever everyone else is complaining about."

The sentiment raises an important question: if no one on the internet reads comics, how does anyone know what to bitch about?

"I stopped picking up all big two comics after [Marvel's] Civil War," said a message board poster who wished to remain anonymous. "I found that bitching about comics on the internet is actually a far more rewarding experience than actually reading them. I still pick up occasional trades of The Walking Dead and Saga like any sane human being, but, for the most part, if I have to choose between spending my time actually reading a comic book and just reading a spoiler-filled press release and declaring Dan Slott to be worse than Hitler, I'm gonna go with the press release every time."

F+W Media estimates that the last decent comic to be published in North America was Runaways #8, released in November of 2005, though they admit that the final issue of Planetary might also qualify, since it wasn't released until 2008, despite being originally solicited in 1972, due to the comically absurd inability of artist John Cassaday to meet deadlines . "We basically feel we've been wasting our time and money for nearly ten years based on the vague hope that the industry would rebound from its creative slump," said a representative for the company. "We finally had to face facts and close up shop."

The final issue of Comic Buyers Guide will be the March 2013 issue.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 329 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Comics Buyers Guide Ceases Publication, Citing "No Comic

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:16 pm

"Comics suck," said one internet comic book fan, adding, "I quit reading them years ago, and now I just hang around on message boards and twitter and complain about whatever everyone else is complaining about."

"I stopped picking up all big two comics after [Marvel's] Civil War," said a message board poster who wished to remain anonymous. "I found that bitching about comics on the internet is actually a far more rewarding experience than actually reading them.

:lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 108 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: Comics Buyers Guide Ceases Publication, Cites

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm

This doesn't bode well for Vertigo.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 128 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Comics Buyers Guide Ceases Publication, Cites

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 pm

I stopped caring about CBG about 25 years ago. There was less meaningful content in it than Wizard in its prime.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand