Advertisement

Charles Soule Announced as New Swamp Thing Writer

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 pm

The writer of such books as 27 and Strange Attractors is taking over Swamp Thing with issue #19

Source: io9

The fine folks at io9 have exclusively announced that Charles Soule will be taking over for Scott Snyder on Swamp Thing, starting with issue #19.  Soule's run will start after the conclusion of the "Rotworld" storyline. 

io9 also sat down and talked to Soule about the book.  Here are some excerpts of that conversation:

Something very cool about Swamp Thing that I think makes the book distinct from some other superhero titles is that it has a very thoroughly developed mythology that spans back to prehistoric times. Avatars of the Green have existed as long as there has been plant life on Earth. Plus, Swampy's powers are essentially infinite but also tightly defined - he can't do anything that plants can't do, and while plants can do plenty, there are also some strong limitations. I also like that Swamp Thing's goal as an avatar of the Green isn't necessarily to defeat or destroy - his job is to seek balance, which is cool. 

Part of the fun in working in a big shared universe like the DCU is, well, sharing the universe. So, I can say for certain that Swamp Thing is going to have some fun encounters with other heroes and villains, although it will always be his book and his story. After all, it's his name on the cover. Issues 19 and 20 are designed to bring Alec a little deeper into the DCU and show where he stands, more or less, but I've got a whole list of things I want to do with him that don't involve the larger universe as directly.

In addition to the goal of adding new supporting cast members that I mentioned above, I also want to (at least for the moment), focus on really tight stories of 1-3 issues, with each having its own distinct feel and central idea. I want readers to be able to cite each story down the road by that big idea or image - "you remember the one where Swamp Thing did THIS???" Stuff like that. Should be really fun.

Sounds like fun.  Click on over to io9 to read the full interview.

Written or Contributed by Royal Nonesuch

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand