Advertisement

Marvel Shows DC How to Properly Fire Creative Teams from Unreleased Projects

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Joe Keatinge's Thanos: Son of Titan series reemerges, this time called Thanos Rising by Jason Aaron.

Source: Marvel.com

After it was revealed this week that DC had replaced two creative teams after their projects had been announced, Marvel reminded the comic book industry how to properly handle these awkward situations.  Today, Marvel announced the Thanos Rising miniseries, a new project that focuses on Thanos's formative years.  The project will be written by Jason Aaron with art by Simone Bianchi. 

If that project sounds familiar to anyone, it's because Marvel announced a nearly identical project, Thanos: Son of Titan, last summer with the creative team of Joe Keatinge and Richard Elson, before cancelling it a month later.  Of course, that wasn't before Keatinge had made the rounds on several sites to promote the project.  Editor Steven Wacker explained that they had jumped the gun a bit on the series but assured fans that both creators had upcoming jobs at Marvel, while promising an entirely different direction for the Thanos origin series.

So why did Marvel get a free pass on substituting in a high profile creative team onto a project while DC did not?  Because, Marvel showed common courtesy and held back the new project for six months in order to give the artist six months to finish an issue let the wounds heal a bit. It also helped to give Joe Keatinge the highly anticipated Morbius the Living Vampire Series, something that's sure to provide years worth of work for the creator and won't at all be cancelled within a year.

It's one thing to hire a freelance creative team, have them work on scripts and then pull the project out from under them with the vague promise of future work.  It's another thing to hire a freelance creative team, have them work on scripts and then pull the project out from under them with the vague promise of future work. 

When asked for a statement, Dan Didio replied  "But they...! It's the same...! I can't...!  I mean, how is this...?! It's not...! This isn't any... !"  However, he was forced to flee when an angry mob began throwing tomatoes at him. 

The Outhouse has obtained exclusive footage of the confrontation with Didio.

So to sum up:  DC, get your shit together and start following Marvel's example a little better. You don't fire creators and replace them without having a secondary project with a shelf life of six months or less as a backup plan. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Marvel Shows DC How to Properly Fire Creative Teams from

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm

It's one thing to hire a freelance creative team, have them work on scripts and then pull the project out from under them with the vague promise of future work.
It's another thing to hire a freelance creative team, have them work on scripts and then pull the project out from under them with the vague promise of future work.

Is anyone else confused by the tone of this article ? :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Aeon Flux
Steroid User

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Aeon Flux » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 am

I'd completely forgotten about that Thanos mini. I'll admit it was a shitty thing to do, but I have to also admit....I think that team is quite a bit better than the original.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:12 am

Oh well, I liked the first issue of Morbius. So, I'd rather read that then them shitting on Starlin's creations. :smt102

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 am

Work is pulled all the time and has been for years for a ton of differing reasons. Marvel & DC are businesses. They used to be a 'bullpen' of a bunch of guys/gals that could relate to us, but it's a corporate world now and decisions and motives are based on dollars, not people.

It happens everywhere.

But hey, any reason to bash DC I guess. :roll:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 995 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm torn. Thanos is one of my favorite characters and I usually like Jason Aaron's work. On the other hand, I absolutely can not stand Simone Bianchi's art. I guess I will just have to wait and see on this one.
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Grayson wrote:I'm torn. Thanos is one of my favorite characters and I usually like Jason Aaron's work. On the other hand, I absolutely can not stand Simone Bianchi's art. I guess I will just have to wait and see on this one.

I am 100% in the same boat here. Why do people like Bianchi's static compositions and bulbous-headed figures?

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
I am 100% in the same boat here. Why do people like Bianchi's static compositions and bulbous-headed figures?

The coloring I guess. At least it is for me.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand