Advertisement

VIBE Gets A New Role In The DC Universe

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Vibe takes on his new task guarding the gateway to the DC multiverse

Source: Newsarama

Beginning in February, Vibe will be tasked with guarding the gateway to the DC multiverse, and stopping invasions from other dimensions. Also look for him to interact with new and familiar faces from DC's other "Earths."

Writers Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns will tie this title into Johns' other high-profile comics, Justice League and Justice League of America

Drawn by Pete Woods, Vibe will focus on a young hero named Cisco Ramone (although his brothers have nick-named him "Paco.") The New 52 has given Cisco unique powers that can detect invasions from other dimensions, making him a key figure in this year's most anticipated events in the DCU.

In the first arc of Justice League, Darkseid invaded the DC Universe, starting his invasion in Detroit. The Ramone brothers were caught in the crossfire, and Armando, the oldest, sacrificed himself to save the youngest, Cisco. This encounter gave Cisco superpowers. And Detroit is now the location of a "weakened membrane" between dimensions.

After getting the attention of A.R.G.U.S. Agent Dale Gunn, Cisco finds out that his powers allow him to sense incursions from other dimensions into Detroit. Thus, Vibe ends up guarding the gateway to the multiverse.

According to Kreisberg, “I think that gives a strong franchise to the book. He's here to clean up Detroit from these incursions, but the people he's working for — Amanda Waller and A.R.G.U.S. — don't always, necessarily, have his best interest at heart, or the best interest of some of the innocent people who come through. And it's going to lead to a lot of interesting conflicts.”

A lot of this book is tying into both the Justice League book and the Justice League of America book. There's going to be a lot of inter-dimensional conflict in the DC Universe coming up. And because Vibe's powers are derived directly from it, the book is going to take this very unknown or unappreciated character and thrust him into the center of all of it.

It's really a coming-of-age tale, and there's a feeling of, "what would you do if you were in that situation?" And I think he reacts with realistic reactions to these impossible situations, and he's asking questions that most superheroes don't ask. And those questions are going to get him in trouble. And most of the time he's asking, "Am I going to get killed if I do this?" That doesn't make him a coward, but I think instead it makes him, sort of, "us."

Extraordinary things that are being planned with the Justice League and the Justice League of America, so to have that gateway character is something that's fresh and new for DC.

Vibe’s main relationship is with his brother Dante, and he's going to be the voice of reason. Dante's going to be the one who's saying, "They want you to join the Justice League? They need someone to get killed to the other ones can go fight harder?" 
And then he's also working along with Dale Gunn, who's a member of A.R.G.U.S. and his sort of mentor. There's a little bit of a Men in Black feel, where Cisco is the Will Smith, young, hot-shot and Dale Gunn is sort of the older, Tommy Lee Jones, crusty, seen-it-all kind of guy, but still has a soft spot in his heart for his young protégé.
And everybody's working for Amanda Waller.

Later one, watch for the Suicide Squad to show up.

Although it ties into the Justice League of America book and also what's going on in the Justice League book Vibe will stand as its own book. You won’t need to also buy the other two Justice League titles to understand and enjoy this one.

Kreisberg adds: If you don't know who Vibe is, or if you do remember him and don't remember him fondly, I would just ask that you really give this book a shot. In the same way that Geoff really revived Booster Gold, I think there's a lot of similarities to this character and with how Geoff really turned Booster into somebody that you can't imagine the DC Universe without anymore.

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 13 posts

Re: urg

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Tell me about it. I spent a lot of time on that VIBE article :smt013

:lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 pm

:smt013 Tell me about it.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:39 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Tell me about it. I spent a lot of time on that VIBE article :smt013

:lol:

I made this thread to fix it. :)
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 13 posts

Re: VIBE Gets A New Role In The DC Universe

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Thank you :lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

the buddies!
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Beginning in February, Vibe will be tasked with guarding the gateway to the DC multiverse, and stopping invasions from other dimensions. Also look for him to interact with new and familiar faces from DC's other "Earths."

In the first arc of Justice League, Darkseid invaded the DC Universe, starting his invasion in Detroit. The Ramone brothers were caught in the crossfire, and Armando, the oldest, sacrificed himself to save the youngest, Cisco. This encounter gave Cisco superpowers. And Detroit is now the location of a "weakened membrane" between dimensions.

After getting the attention of A.R.G.U.S. Agent Dale Gunn, Cisco finds out that his powers allow him to sense incursions from other dimensions into Detroit. Thus, Vibe ends up guarding the gateway to the multiverse.

wait...WUT?

dear God, this is going to be laughably horrendous. :smt005 :smt005
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 pm

chap22 wrote:
wait...WUT?

dear God, this is going to be laughably horrendous. :smt005 :smt005

Trust in Johns! :lol:

He'll make Detroit the most important city in the nu52U :roll:

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 38 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm

You know who would be great at guarding the gateway to the DC multiverse? Booster Gold.

That's a series that I would actually read.
ImageImageImage

Moonbeam
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Moonbeam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 pm

It's interesting you would say that, Grayson, since (in the original Newsarama article) both Kreisberg and I compared the VIBE comic to what Geoff did with BOOSTER GOLD. I think it's going to have a lot of similarities to that series - the humor, the borderline bumbling but heroic acts - just without the time travel.
- Vaneta Rogers

Black_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 5 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Black_Orchid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Moonbeam wrote:It's interesting you would say that, Grayson, since (in the original Newsarama article) both Kreisberg and I compared the VIBE comic to what Geoff did with BOOSTER GOLD. I think it's going to have a lot of similarities to that series - the humor, the borderline bumbling but heroic acts - just without the time travel.

Holy schinkes, it's Moonbeam. Hi V!

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby UnionJack » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm going to give this a look. Would never have thought a Booster Gold series would have been one of my top reads but it was.
Besides, I liked the Detroit League - they were the first League comics I ever read.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 38 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Moonbeam wrote:It's interesting you would say that, Grayson, since (in the original Newsarama article) both Kreisberg and I compared the VIBE comic to what Geoff did with BOOSTER GOLD. I think it's going to have a lot of similarities to that series - the humor, the borderline bumbling but heroic acts - just without the time travel.

I saw that but all things considered I will still pass on this series. I don't want to read a story that's like a Booster Gold story and doesn't feature Booster Gold, when DC had a Booster Gold they could use. With DC's books being as hit-and-miss as they are, I just can't justify buying a new book featuring a character that I didn't like and had no interest in prior to the relaunch. Don't get me wrong, I read these articles to see if there is anything that may be of any interest to me but I can safely say this has been one of those titles that just makes me laugh.
ImageImageImage

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

also without the interesting title character. :P

hi V! :smt006
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
Trust in Johns! :lol:

He'll make Detroit the most important city in the nu52U :roll:

Detroit needs to be Bludhaven'd.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand