*Membership spots not really limited!
After sorting through all the gabbing and promos, what did we really learn today about the PS4? (Updated)
Well, it looks as if some of the big news will be saved for E3. The price (though guess is the cheaper version will be mid $400s), a look at the actual console, as well as a peek at some highly anticipated games like Final Fantasy and The Last Guardian. But, we did find out a few things:
- The PS4 will come out "Holiday 2013"
- Local Hard Drive, x86 GPU (will make it easier for devs to make games for PC/XBox/PS4 where PS3 was a pain before due to unique architecture), and 8GB (unified) RAM!
- Will let you play while downloading stuff. (Second backup processor dedicated to these background tasks)
- Boot-time of console is "gone", unit will go into sleep or suspended mode when you hit power.
- The Dualshock 4 is the only piece of hardware we got to look at - it has a touch pad top/center, a headphone jack, share button and a light bar on the backside (Move controller function).
- Share button will allow you to stream game to friends or even UStream channel. You can also "pass" the game off to a friend if you wish or even to your PS Vita and play your game on it as your PS4 acts as a server for it.
- The Playstation Cloud will be the new Playstation network. (rumors are it will turn to pay subscription like XBox Live, but no mention was made).
- PS4 will not natively be backwards compatible, BUT the Playsation Cloud will allow you to stream PS1, 2 and 3 games. (Hopefully there will be a way to register what you own so that you don't have to buy old games again.)
They also demo'd several games: Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Driveclub, Infamous: Second Son, The Witness, and had a few other big game announcements:
- Diablo 3 will be coming from Blizzard (with 4 player co-op)
- Bungie showed some more from their upcoming game: Destiny
- Watch Dogs was showed agian, though still a computer play demo and not gameplay.
- Capcom demo'd new game engines and a new IP: Deep Down.
One concern I have is that many games initially will be developed for PS3 and PS4, which makes me think they won't quite be using all of the PS4's capabilities when they do this. Sure, the graphics might look better, but there is much more they can do with a game than just make it prettier (just take a look at PC mods and what some of them add to a game besides graphics mods). All-in-all, a pretty impressive peek at the machine. Looking forward to finding out more myself, in the meantime, here is the Killzone: Shadow Fall trailer they showed at the event:
And the footage of Watch Dogs, though they admitted at an interview after the event that the gameplay was a PC mock-up to run as a PS4 and not the actual console:
A GIF of one of the few glimpses of gameplay from Bungie's Destiny:
And an album of screenshots from the event:
Written or Contributed by xaraan
READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!