Thursday, October 19, 2017 • Morning Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Spider-Man's symbiote suit (What If?)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed May 27, 2009 9:37 pm

I was watching Spectacular Spider-Man with my kiddos (that show is damn near perfect. My biggest 'complaint' is the way they draw Peter's elbows when he's wearing a short sleeve shirt. Yeah, if I have only that to complain about, then the show kicks all kinds of ass. But I digress...) and saw two of the Black Costume episodes.

It got me thinking--did they ever do a What If...? story in which Peter keeps the symbiote suit?
If so, what was the number?
If not, they should--think of what Spidey could accomplish with all those amplified powers. As in the comics, I understand the symbiote makes him more aggressive, but what if Peter could have maintained a kind of balance with the symbiote. How much better would his life have been with these augmented abilities and no Venom?

prozacman

Expert Post Whore

Postby prozacman » Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 pm

From http://secretearths.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... alien.html
What If The Alien Costume had Possessed Spider-man? (Marvel comics)
Where: What if...? #4 When: October 1989
Why: Danny Fingeroth How: Mark Bagley

The story so far...
In our reality Peter Parker was able to free himself of the influence of the alien symbiote he obtained during the Secret Wars, but in another universe Peter Parker was not so fortunate.

Reed Richards was able to intervene and remove the symbiotic costume to contain it, but neither he nor Dr. Strange could prevent the creature escaping to again seek out the Spider-man once more.

The symbiote reemerges during a battle between Dr. Strange and Hulk, and wrenches the green goliath from being banished to another dimension. Combatting Strange and Hulk, the symbiote recognises an even more powerful host, and thus the incredible Hulk becomes the possessor of the black costume.

Leaving behind a frail and aged Peter Parker, the symbiote-Hulk now has the combined might of Peter Parker, Dr. Strange, Reed Richards, Black Cat and the Avengers in pirsuit of it. But will they survive long enough to stop it?

There was also a What if? Secret Wars 25 years latter were Peter never got rid of the costume because the heroes never left battle world.
From http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Comics:Wha ... _Vol_2_114
What If? Vol 2 114

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed May 27, 2009 10:50 pm

PAD also wrote a What If: The Other about three or four years ago. Pretty much it's an alternative take on the story with Pete chosing the other path and before he's reborn the Venom symbiote abandons Gargan to rebond with Pete permantantly.

The new Spider-Man then sets out to have a piece of the suit bond with his wife Mary Jane, but the New Avengers stand in his way. I ignore it though. Cause it was a one shot that was to be more than one issue (PAD commented it was originally a mini that got crammed into one issue). And honestly the story ends with Spider abandoning the fight and finds a new mate.

[spoiler]

By using the corpse of Gwen Stacy he implants a symbiote and at the end you see a Carnage-like hand pop from the coccoon. [/spoiler]

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 am

cncoyle wrote:I was watching Spectacular Spider-Man with my kiddos (that show is damn near perfect. My biggest 'complaint' is the way they draw Peter's elbows when he's wearing a short sleeve shirt. Yeah, if I have only that to complain about, then the show kicks all kinds of ass. But I digress...) and saw two of the Black Costume episodes.

It got me thinking--did they ever do a What If...? story in which Peter keeps the symbiote suit?
If so, what was the number?
If not, they should--think of what Spidey could accomplish with all those amplified powers. As in the comics, I understand the symbiote makes him more aggressive, but what if Peter could have maintained a kind of balance with the symbiote. How much better would his life have been with these augmented abilities and no Venom?

Aside from the ones mentioned earlier, another good Venom What If? is "What If Venom Possessed the Punisher?". It's some early work by Kurt Busiek and it's pretty dang good!

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Thu May 28, 2009 8:59 am

HNutz wrote:Aside from the ones mentioned earlier, another good Venom What If? is "What If Venom Possessed the Punisher?". It's some early work by Kurt Busiek and it's pretty dang good!
Yes.

All the What if's revolving around the suit were pretty good.

leave a comment with facebook