Advertisement

REVIEW GROUP SPECIAL - Captain America #600

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

REVIEW GROUP SPECIAL - Captain America #600

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:14 am

Well, everyone is going to have an opinion, so what better time to have a membership drive for the Review Group. With a Monday Release, it means that we can have two threads the same week!!!!

The news is out, just head to any website that publishes Marvel Press Releases...

COVER BY: Steve Epting
WRITER: Ed Brubaker
Roger Stern
Mark Waid
PENCILS: Dale Eaglesham
Butch Guice
Luke Ross
COLORED BY: Frank D\'Armata
LETTERED BY: VC - Joe Caramagna

THE STORY:
Where were you when Captain America died? It's the anniversary of the day Steve Rogers was killed, a day of reflection and mourning in the Marvel U...a time to look back on the things Steve did and what he stood for... or is this issue actually the beginning of the most wicked plot twist since issue 25? Yeah, actually it's both. Plus, contributions from Cap creators past and present, including a very special essay by Joe Simon, a classic story from Cap’s Golden Age, a full gallery of 600 Cap covers, and more anniversary shenanigans than you can shake a shield at! New and Reprints/Rated T …$4.99

There is still time to participate in last week's thread: Amazing Spider-Man #597 - http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... hp?t=24689.

Be here on Wednesday for Mr. Black's pick:
Transformers Spotlight Cliffjumper

Publisher:
IDW Publishing

Description:
"Pursued by DECEPTICONS and stranded on a backwater planet, CLIFFJUMPER finds peace among the natives. But his new, simple life is shattered by a devastating tragedy."
I'll post a link when it goes live.

Advertisement

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: REVIEW GROUP SPECIAL - Captain America #600

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

thefourthman wrote:Well, everyone is going to have an opinion, so what better time to have a membership drive for the Review Group. With a Monday Release, it means that we can have two threads the same week!!!!

The news is out, just head to any website that publishes Marvel Press Releases...

COVER BY: Steve Epting
WRITER: Ed Brubaker
Roger Stern
Mark Waid
PENCILS: Dale Eaglesham
Butch Guice
Luke Ross
COLORED BY: Frank D\'Armata
LETTERED BY: VC - Joe Caramagna

THE STORY:
Where were you when Captain America died? It's the anniversary of the day Steve Rogers was killed, a day of reflection and mourning in the Marvel U...a time to look back on the things Steve did and what he stood for... or is this issue actually the beginning of the most wicked plot twist since issue 25? Yeah, actually it's both. Plus, contributions from Cap creators past and present, including a very special essay by Joe Simon, a classic story from Cap’s Golden Age, a full gallery of 600 Cap covers, and more anniversary shenanigans than you can shake a shield at! New and Reprints/Rated T …$4.99

There is still time to participate in last week's thread: Amazing Spider-Man #597 - http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... hp?t=24689.

Be here on Wednesday for Mr. Black's pick:
Transformers Spotlight Cliffjumper

Publisher:
IDW Publishing

Description:
"Pursued by DECEPTICONS and stranded on a backwater planet, CLIFFJUMPER finds peace among the natives. But his new, simple life is shattered by a devastating tragedy."
I'll post a link when it goes live.

Here's the Epting cover:

:wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:17 am

so the big news is
[spoiler]Steve Rogers is coming back?[/spoiler]
I think we bought to many of these! :shock:

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 419 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 pm

thefourthman wrote:so the big news is
[spoiler]Steve Rogers is coming back?[/spoiler]
I think we bought to many of these! :shock:

No the big news is that nothing actually happend in this issue at all, it was all hype and no substance. This was nothing more than a set up for the Reborn miniseries that we all guessed was the return of Stever Rogers a couple months ago.
ImageImageImage

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Kryptons Finest wrote:No the big news is that nothing actually happend in this issue at all, it was all hype and no substance. This was nothing more than a set up for the Reborn miniseries that we all guessed was the return of Stever Rogers a couple months ago.

not having read the book, I don't know what happens in it. I think we all knew the big news would be more related to Reborn than this issue. However, the big news is stupid and will not garner the kind of attention that Civil War #3, Cap #25, or Spider-Man #583 did. This was an example of Marvel pretty much screwing the shops into ordering stupid levels of a worthless book. I am sure it is a fine book, but this is not the kind of news that Marvel told us to expect. Three years down the road it would have been, but now it is just a bit too early. Now if Isiah were Cap going forward and Will Smith had agreed to play Cap in the movie, I would have needed about a trillion copies. This one, I could have done with normal numbers, maybe a five percent boost.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:16 pm

thefourthman wrote:not having read the book, I don't know what happens in it. I think we all knew the big news would be more related to Reborn than this issue. However, the big news is stupid and will not garner the kind of attention that Civil War #3, Cap #25, or Spider-Man #583 did. This was an example of Marvel pretty much screwing the shops into ordering stupid levels of a worthless book. I am sure it is a fine book, but this is not the kind of news that Marvel told us to expect. Three years down the road it would have been, but now it is just a bit too early. Now if Isiah were Cap going forward and Will Smith had agreed to play Cap in the movie, I would have needed about a trillion copies. This one, I could have done with normal numbers, maybe a five percent boost.

Yeah, it seems maybe a bit early, maybe.
And it was expected.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 419 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:31 pm

thefourthman wrote:not having read the book, I don't know what happens in it. I think we all knew the big news would be more related to Reborn than this issue. However, the big news is stupid and will not garner the kind of attention that Civil War #3, Cap #25, or Spider-Man #583 did. This was an example of Marvel pretty much screwing the shops into ordering stupid levels of a worthless book. I am sure it is a fine book, but this is not the kind of news that Marvel told us to expect. Three years down the road it would have been, but now it is just a bit too early. Now if Isiah were Cap going forward and Will Smith had agreed to play Cap in the movie, I would have needed about a trillion copies. This one, I could have done with normal numbers, maybe a five percent boost.

I read the book this morning and if not for all the hype surrounding it on it's on it is a decent read. Not a lot happens but there a a few cool moments, nothing worthy of the excitement that Marvel was trying to perpetuate arounf the book.

I agree 100% that Marvel screwed retailers big time with this one, playing on what happend with Captain America #25. Most of the people at my shop didn't give a shit about Cap #600 coming out today, as they are all fans of Bucky Cap and are not really interested in the return of Steve Rogers. We opened the store at 10am today and with a little better than normal customer traffic for a Monday by 1pm we had not sold a single copy of Captain America #600.
ImageImageImage

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:35 pm

Kryptons Finest wrote:I read the book this morning and if not for all the hype surrounding it on it's on it is a decent read. Not a lot happens but there a a few cool moments, nothing worthy of the excitement that Marvel was trying to perpetuate arounf the book.

I agree 100% that Marvel screwed retailers big time with this one, playing on what happend with Captain America #25. Most of the people at my shop didn't give a shit about Cap #600 coming out today, as they are all fans of Bucky Cap and are not really interested in the return of Steve Rogers. We opened the store at 10am today and with a little better than normal customer traffic for a Monday by 1pm we had not sold a single copy of Captain America #600.

See, that last part is just sad`

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Kryptons Finest wrote:I read the book this morning and if not for all the hype surrounding it on it's on it is a decent read. Not a lot happens but there a a few cool moments, nothing worthy of the excitement that Marvel was trying to perpetuate arounf the book.

Oh, I've had people come in for it, but only Comics fans, only normal faces, who made a special trip out today and will be back on Weds and who I am sure I will get what for from.
Marvel promised retailers added interest. The general Public doesn't care, just like they didn't care when Supes came back.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Meanwhile, I can't keep anything that says Batman Reborn on the shelf. :roll:

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 683 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Never got out to store today, I will pick this up on Weds and do a review soon after.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Geeze. I emailed my LCS, like for the first time evah, to ask him to hold back a copy of this for me since I was worried it would sell out. From the responses here it sounds like I might have been concerned for nothing.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:36 pm

This is coming out as normal in the UK, so I'll probably do a review for this too then.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 683 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:08 pm

I just found out this won't come out in Canada till Weds.... :?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:11 pm

McKegan wrote:Geeze. I emailed my LCS, like for the first time evah, to ask him to hold back a copy of this for me since I was worried it would sell out. From the responses here it sounds like I might have been concerned for nothing.

Marvel did a really good job of getting the Comics folks hyped up about this, but did nothing to get joe q public interested. I'm not really mad at them, just mystified. Why did they think the return of Steve would be newsworthy, it is too soon and just plays to the stereotypes about comics that the outside world already believes to be true. No one stays dead in comics. We killed Steve, we are going to keep him dead, oh yeah, he's back. That's what it looks like to the public.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand