Advertisement

7/16/08 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials -- Le Spoils

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 385 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

7/16/08 -- Chappy's Blue Plate Specials -- Le Spoils

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Go here to read Chappy's reviews for the week. I think this is going to be the new format for it, but yeah...I'm not sure. I'm just a temp, don't hurt me.
SHABBA!

Advertisement

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm

I wish it was still just posted over here, but I don't mind clicking a link and then posting over here.

As for his reviews, Rogues Revenge was in fact awesome. I can't imagine there's a better book out this week. although I haven't read a single Marvel book yet. Flash was good as well, all in all it was a great week to be a Flash fan.

I also agreed with him on Trinity. The book was cool and I should really read JLA/Avengers at some point.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 385 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:01 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I wish it was still just posted over here, but I don't mind clicking a link and then posting over here.
Direct your complaints to this guy ;)
SHABBA!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 420 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Keb wrote:Direct your complaints to this guy ;)
He'll kick your butt!!!

Mr. Batman

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Mr. Batman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Rogues Revenge was phenomenal, and my book of the week

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 864 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 pm

I agree with all these.

nice chap.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Chappy's reviews -- Round 2!

Captain America 40 -- a great issue, fantastic art by Epting, great fight scene (although Bucky's internal monologues do nothing but remind me how much i miss Steve), great banter between Skull & Faustus & Zola, great everything...right up until that last page; i'm gonna let it play out to see what happens, but if the tease/logical conslusion is what actually happens, i may just drop this fantastic book too, b/c i just find that shock-tactic nonsense TOTALLY unnecessary in this book; loved it for all but 1 page, REAL apprehensive on that last one

Birds of Prey 120 -- the Babs/Dinah scene felt real forced, and i'm now bored by this "Silicon Syndicate" after being initially intrigued, but i like the new character Infinity, and i love the fact that DC's doing what i want, and spreading the Joker around to other books, where he also makes sense; also liked the art, i think O'Hare will be an adequate replacement for Scott; coulda been better, but OK

Flash 242 -- damn...this may have been my book of the week, even ahead of Rogues' Revenge; Peyer's telling a fun little story, and at the same time packing in so much emotion and solid character work for Wally, showing exactly how much his kids' situation is affecting him, them, and Linda; anybody who has jumped off Flash in the past year or so, if you're a Wally West fan, i strongly urge you to pick this up in trade or back issues at some point b/c it is one fantastic Flash story; LOVED it
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:38 am

Trinity seems to be floundering a bit. It seems so generic, Busiek sometimes falls into this trap. I think Trinity will sell eventually no where near Countdown or 52 levels.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 269 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:55 am

Twigglet wrote:Trinity seems to be floundering a bit. It seems so generic, Busiek sometimes falls into this trap. I think Trinity will sell eventually no where near Countdown or 52 levels.
i agree, it reads like 90's DC. good 90's DC at that but im done with it. i gave nicieza and busiek a chance to win me after i dropped countdown 15 issues into it and im doing the same here.....

Mr. Batman

Postby Mr. Batman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:37 am

chap22 wrote:Chappy's reviews -- Round 2!

Captain America 40 -- a great issue, fantastic art by Epting, great fight scene (although Bucky's internal monologues do nothing but remind me how much i miss Steve), great banter between Skull & Faustus & Zola, great everything...right up until that last page; i'm gonna let it play out to see what happens, but if the tease/logical conslusion is what actually happens, i may just drop this fantastic book too, b/c i just find that shock-tactic nonsense TOTALLY unnecessary in this book; loved it for all but 1 page, REAL apprehensive on that last one

Birds of Prey 120 -- the Babs/Dinah scene felt real forced, and i'm now bored by this "Silicon Syndicate" after being initially intrigued, but i like the new character Infinity, and i love the fact that DC's doing what i want, and spreading the Joker around to other books, where he also makes sense; also liked the art, i think O'Hare will be an adequate replacement for Scott; coulda been better, but OK

Flash 242 -- damn...this may have been my book of the week, even ahead of Rogues' Revenge; Peyer's telling a fun little story, and at the same time packing in so much emotion and solid character work for Wally, showing exactly how much his kids' situation is affecting him, them, and Linda; anybody who has jumped off Flash in the past year or so, if you're a Wally West fan, i strongly urge you to pick this up in trade or back issues at some point b/c it is one fantastic Flash story; LOVED it

I didn't get Flash. Maybe I should've

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 am

Twigglet wrote:Trinity seems to be floundering a bit. It seems so generic, Busiek sometimes falls into this trap. I think Trinity will sell eventually no where near Countdown or 52 levels.

and this may be true, but it'll be a damn shame; it's already so far above Countdown quality-wise that it's laughable, but i guess since it doesn't lead into the next "let's see how many heroes we can kill" worthless event crossover, it just won't sell

it really makes me wonder about the current state of the comic-book fanbase
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:06 am

chap22 wrote:and this may be true, but it'll be a damn shame; it's already so far above Countdown quality-wise that it's laughable, but i guess since it doesn't lead into the next "let's see how many heroes we can kill" worthless event crossover, it just won't sell

You have to admit DC burned some bridges with Countdown. I have high hopes for Trinity, though.

The Outhouse: In a digital world full of ruthless assholes and whiny bitches...might as well hang out with the ones you know.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:10 am

chap22 wrote:it really makes me wonder about the current state of the comic-book fanbase

Agreed. It seems like honest-to-goodness fun superheroics aren't enough anymore - it all needs to be gritty, deadly serious and filled with death and mayhem, not to mention 'realistic.' To paraphrase Mark Waid, super hero comics should be about flying!

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:29 am

chap22 wrote:and this may be true, but it'll be a damn shame; it's already so far above Countdown quality-wise that it's laughable, but i guess since it doesn't lead into the next "let's see how many heroes we can kill" worthless event crossover, it just won't sell

Yep. I think Trinity is a blast, and has all sorts of potential to kick ass.

As to books this week, let's see:

Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge #1 (of 3): Geoff Johns does it again. The man continues to crank out quality comics, one after another. I am not a Flash expert by any means, and this book was just perfect. I have a feeling that if you really know your Flash-Fu, it probably spoke to you. And at the same time, someone like myself could read it, enjoy it. I'm not entirely sure about the art, but Kolins did a great job of capturing the expressions, feelings, and concerns of the characters.Grade: A-.

Trinity #6: Excellence by Busiek, Nicieza, Bagley, Derenick, and Co. Each week I look at Trinity, and each week I enjoy the hell out of it. These are the characters I want to read about, and something really crazy is going on, and I can't wait to find out what it is. Grade: B+

Batgirl #1 (?): I thought this was a mini? Anyways ... It was ... ok. Massive amounts of exposition were understandable, considering the recent mess that has been Cass Cain. I'm not sure about the characterization of Dick, but I'm willing to see how it goes in the future issues. Calafiore's art was good, as usual. If this *is* an ongoing, though, I don't see a Beechen/Calafiore/Batgirl title surviving too long, frankly. Grade: C+

Birds of Prey #120: I don't know what to think of this. BoP was one of the first books I started to collect when I began reading comics. Some of Gail's tpbs were the first I owned. This felt ... like an ok issue, but it didn't really grab me. I had some problems with the characterizations, but overall it was ok. Just ok. I do, like Chap, think Infinity has potential as a character though. I'll give this arc a chance. Grade: C+

Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy: Well, if it weren't for the Joker, this would have been an ok issue. :) It's an interesting look at Ivy, at what makes her tick, and what kind of "person" she is. There is one line near the end that is especially chilling. I don't know Guillem March, but I enjoyed his mixture of stylized and natural art. Grade: B

Shady
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Shady » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:43 am

Looks like I'm going to be picking up more Flash trades by the sounds of these reviews. I just picked up Crossfire yesterday and am 2 trades away from finishing the Johns run.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand