Advertisement

Movie Review: The Avengers

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Movie Review: The Avengers

Postby LOLtron » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:06 am

Let the fanwank begin.

Let me start this review by stating that I am a pretty big Joss Whedon fan. I like most of the work he has put out, and upon receiving the news that he would be the helmer of Marvel/Disney's The Avengers, I was filled with hope. Whedon has a history of utilizing ensemble casts, he is a fan of the genre, and is no stranger to special effects-laden projects. He seemed perfect for this movie, a fanboy's dream director. The film that resulted will certainly be a dream come true for many fans, but unfortunately for many others the Avengers will come off as the most expensive fanfilm ever made rather than the epic many of us hoped for.

This review will be spoiler free and I will attempt to keep it as succinct as possible.

The Plot: Not much to say here. The plot for the film is bare bones. There's a bad guy, his forces, the good guys and they fight. This is not to say that there aren't intricacies to this film, but that tends to occur on a character level. As far as plots go, the animated Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes boasts much more intricate plots in their 22 minute running time than this film. This is not necessarily a negative. Introducing the characters, creating relationships, and exploring this Marvel Universe all takes time. I think Whedon made a conscious decision to focus on the characters and to get them as much screen time as possible. The result of this, however, is a plotline ripped out of every 1980's action cartoon.

Film-Making: The movie was pretty. Mr. Whedon knows his way around a camera, and his time directing shows laden with dialogue shows here. The Avengers does a good job of moving the camera around and creating exciting angles, even when it's just a talky scene (of which there are many). When the action does ramp up, it's all presented very clearly. No shaky cam here. No extreme close-ups where you can't even tell what you're looking at. All the technical components are handled very well, and the movie exhibits polish.

Effects: Strangely, this is a mixed bag. The list of effects companies for this film includes Industrial Light and Magic and WETA. Needless to say these are two of the most accomplished effects houses in the industry. Some of the effects are amazing, such as Iron Man. The character is brilliantly realized and I could not spot when they were using CGI. The villain army, on the other hand, is poorly animated. They are very obviously computer generated, and they move like it. There were times in the film when their movements even reminded me of the Cylon Centurions from the television show Battlestar Galactica. The effects certainly do the job, but this film isn't some milestone in technical engineering. The Hulk, in particular, still looks CGI and I think that they did a better job on the character in The Incredible Hulk film.

On a practical effects standpoint, many of the costumes and devices are very cool. Hawkeye's quiver (and arrow head selection) is particularly awesome. Loki boasts 3 separate looks, Thor has 3 different costumes, and Iron Man dons 2 different armors. The big question for many fans was in regard to the Captain America costume. It is my sad duty to report that it doesn't look that great in action. The helmet is odd and doesn't work well, and the suit seems stiff and actually makes Chris Evans look smaller.

Characters: This is where the movie shines. Whedon certainly knows these characters, and even moreso, he obviously cares for them. I don't wish to give anything away, but I think fans will be happy with the treatment of these characters. A particular standout moment occurs when Thor confronts Loki for the first time. Hemsworth (Thor) and Hiddleston (Loki) are both very comfortable in these roles, and it made me actually think that this entire movie should have been Thor 2 rather than The Avengers.

Hiddleston elevates this film in any scene he graces. Downey, Evans, Renner, Jackson, and the rest also turn in very good performances. In a world where people are in unitards and shiny spandex body armor, the actors never wink at the crowd. They take the material seriously, and the film is never in danger of becoming a parody. While the main players are great, Loki's Army lacks any sort of development. One of the big geek questions coming into the film regarded the identity of the possible alien race that Loki utilizes in his attempt to conquer Earth. Their identity is revealed in the film, and they are a race that fans of the Marvel Universe will recognize, but they are little more than cardboard cutout minions.

Cool Factor: I could not even list for you the number of things to geek out to in this film. There are so many references, so many little things that fans of these characters will absolutely love. Every character gets a moment, and most get more than one. As I mentioned earlier, many parts of this film come off as a fanfilm in the best ways. You will geek out more than once. The greatest of these moments comes at the end of the film. After a short title sequence with the main cast, a preview of things to come is shown. I will go out on a limb and say that this will be the most talked about part of the movie for the hard core comic book fan.

Verdict: The Avengers is a good film. Whedon does a great job in introducing us to these characters and putting them together somewhat organically. The care in characterization clearly shows through. That being said, the film is also incredibly uneven. The pacing seems off at times, and the plot, as simple as it is, slows down too much at certain points. The most egregious error in my estimation is the lack of the "no hope" moment. It's that moment when all seems lost, right before the good guys find a way to win. It's Han Solo coming back and making sure Luke is clear for the final shot in A New Hope, or Tom Hanks firing a pistol at a tank in Saving Private Ryan. Whedon pulls it off deftly in Serenity, but fumbles here. There is an attempt at it, but it never quite comes together. And in many ways, that's how The Avengers comes off. It is a series of good, sometimes great moments, which never quite comes together into an epic package.

Score: 6.5 out of 10 Blud Bloods.

Written or Contributed by: Doc Jon

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/entertainment-reviews/19201-movie-review-the-avengers.html/

Advertisement

365Dom
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 0 post
Title: www.365Daysofcomics.com
Formerly: Dom G

Re: Movie Review: The Avengers

Postby 365Dom » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:26 pm

By the way I read this post I was thinking you were going to rate it an 8 out of 10. This thing wouldn't graduate college according to you.I am looking forward to the credits scene. I'm hoping for either Kang or Thanos.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 pm

365Dom wrote:By the way I read this post I was thinking you were going to rate it an 8 out of 10. This thing wouldn't graduate college according to you.I am looking forward to the credits scene. I'm hoping for either Kang or Thanos.

It's odd because many of the film's components are done well.

But I really have to try and look at it as an overall narrative, and in that, I think the film is weak. I think if you look at any one scene of the movie, it can be just fine, but I just don't think it came together at the end.

Also, the lack of a truly climactic ending (it was very pretty and fun, but lacked emotion for me) is a big thing.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Good spoiler free review!
I am pretty sure that if you said this was the biggest pile of dog shit I would still go see it, that being said your review pretty much sounds about how I am expecting it to be.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Good spoiler free review!
I am pretty sure that if you said this was the biggest pile of dog shit I would still go see it, that being said your review pretty much sounds about how I am expecting it to be.

Anyone reading a review on this site is still going to see the movie. :-D

This movie was MADE for the fans. In fact, I think my score is more for the uninitiated. A "fan" score would probably bump it up a point or point and a half.

The movie is actually tough for anyone not really familiar with these characters and especially the recent movies.

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Doc Jon wrote:
Anyone reading a review on this site is still going to see the movie. :-D ...

Not quite. Your review was the tipping point for me. Outside of being dragged to it by friends, I will not be seeing The Avengers at the theatre.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Movie needed more Ponies!
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:46 pm

bkthomson wrote:Movie needed more Ponies!

I'm trying to think if there were ponies in it...

I'm going to have to say no.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Re: Movie Review: The Avengers

Postby bkthomson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Doc Jon wrote:

And why it needs more ponies.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:56 pm

This is currently at 97% on RT.

For comparison's sake:

Iron Man: 94%
The Dark Knight: 94%
Spider-Man 2: 93%
Spider-Man: 90%
X2 X-Men United: 87%
X-Men First Class: 87%
Batman Begins: 84%
Captain America: 79%
X-Men: 79%
Superman Returns: 77%
Thor: 77%
Iron Man 2: 74%
Incredible Hulk: 66%
Hulk: 62%

Long story short.. this is going to be a commercial, and critical monster.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Doc Jon wrote:

What about the "horse faced" aliens?

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Jubilee » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 pm

What is the rating out of 10? I think those ratings are much better IMO.

I'll do some work.

Thor 6.7 out of 10
Iron Man 7.6
Avengers 8.4
Captain America 6.9
You don't have to like me
You don't have to respect me
But you will LISTEN to me.
-----
Always Right

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:25 pm

WhIle the film had large chunks of fanservice, the packed theater I was in loved it despite most of them not being comic fans. It was the mix of the over the top comic sensibilities and enough humor infused in there that seemed to sell them on it through the awkward moments of the minimal plot until the final battle that personally delivered for me despite the awkward movements of the aliens.

Regardless of clearly catering to comic fans, this will definitely be a monster smash with repeat value for anyone from fanboys to action movie fans to people who want to see a fun movie to little kids who practically teemed over the characters despite me being 99.99999999999999999% sure they don't read the comics these characters are based on.

I'd have personally given it a 7.5-7.9 though (just shy of 8). Not perfect or deep by any means but definitely the most fun comic book movie I've watched.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 pm

What does little kids not reading the comics these are based on have to do with them enjoying the movie or characters?

These are no longer just comic properties. Most little kids have probably grown up on cartoons with these characters, and the previous movies..

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Holland Oats wrote:What does little kids not reading the comics these are based on have to do with them enjoying the movie or characters?

These are no longer just comic properties. Most little kids have probably grown up on cartoons with these characters, and the previous movies..

It has to do with whether they can cope with the sheer amount of fanservice. The one thing that makes so many comics inaccessible to kids.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum