Wednesday, December 19, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 am

Moortron wrote:Sorry to Bother You
Blindspotting
Mid90's
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Vice
Goth Girl Gangbang 666

I'm looking forward to seeing Sorry To Bother You this week, have had it on my list since you posted the trailer at the start of the year. I was also hoping to catch Anna and the Apocalypse this week but despite being a critically acclaimed Scottish film it's gotten a whole 8 days of theatrical release in Edinburgh before being bumped. (Also have a preview screening of The Beautiful Boy coming up, and want to give Mortal Enginds a chance in case it manages to actually be Fury Road-esque madness instead of derivative YA pablum).

I haven't thought about my bests of the year yet, but this year I started keeping a list of what I've watched and read so it should be a bit easier to work out...

Edited to add: I didn't care for Goth Girl Gangbang 666, I thought the change to found footage was an annoying drop in production values and the addition of the Possessed Vagina story element was disappointingly vacuous. And nary a "You have to get out of the house! Your vagina is haunted!" joke to be seen, adding insult to injury...

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Moortron wrote:Sorry to Bother You
Blindspotting
Mid90's
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Vice
Goth Girl Gangbang 666

I was sure that Goth Girl Gangbang 666 was gonna make your list, the rest are complete surprises. :smt005

Moortron

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Moortron » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Fysh wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing Sorry To Bother You this week, have had it on my list since you posted the trailer at the start of the year. I was also hoping to catch Anna and the Apocalypse this week but despite being a critically acclaimed Scottish film it's gotten a whole 8 days of theatrical release in Edinburgh before being bumped. (Also have a preview screening of The Beautiful Boy coming up, and want to give Mortal Enginds a chance in case it manages to actually be Fury Road-esque madness instead of derivative YA pablum).

That sucks about Anna and the Apocalypse. Something similar actually happened with Blindspotting, Sorry to Bother You, and Isle of Dogs, where I had to go somewhat out of my way to actually find a screening because the local Cinemak would rather show Black Panther or Avengers or some movie in Telugu than these. Fuckin market.

Edited to add: I didn't care for Goth Girl Gangbang 666, I thought the change to found footage was an annoying drop in production values and the addition of the Possessed Vagina story element was disappointingly vacuous. And nary a "You have to get out of the house! Your vagina is haunted!" joke to be seen, adding insult to injury...

Your taste is shit and you should be ashamed. The 666 man bukake was a work of art and the Jill Thompson cameo was spot on.

Moortron

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Moortron » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:
I was sure that Goth Girl Gangbang 666 was gonna make your list, the rest are complete surprises. :smt005

I have talked up Sorry to Bother You a lot man, it was really that good. But certain critics going on about how it was the weirdest thing you've ever seen were full of shit, if you watched 90's anime or have been online since 2000 then you've seen weirder shit.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:

Honestly I think they peaked at Goth Girl Gangbang 3. Everything else has been retelling the same old story again and again. Also the later instalments have pretty much contradicted previous continuity. Newcomers might enjoy it, but long time viewers have seen it all before. I think at this point they might as well reboot the whole universe and go for All New Goth Girl Gangbang 1.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Fysh wrote:
I'll dig around and see if I can find a good intro guide for you, there's loads of guides for specific things but it's also good to get an overview to start with. The teo biggest things I've learned are:
1) make sure that you've correctly got your source files ready before editing, because if you don't you can end up having to re-do everything from scratch. If you're using iTunes downloads or DVDs/Blurays this is generally straight forward, though it can sometimes be timeconsuming, and
2) don't be in a rush; sometimes getting the details right takes time (including leaving the whole thing alone for a week or two so you can mull things over) and there's no way to speed that up.

I've used iMovie to make an edit once but didn't know what I was doing so made a lot of mistakes along the way that meant it had a lot of technical issues. Software wise a lot of people will talk about Final Cut Pro, though IIRC there were some functions removed when FCP X came out so quite a few prefer to use FCP7 still. There are open source editing programs like OpenShot that almost certainly have Mac versions, so while they might take a bit longer to learn they won't cost a load of cash.

Thanks dude. I've watched a few fan edits, but so many are hard to find these days. In any case I'd like to have a go myself. An intro guide would be great.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:50 pm

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/08/titan-comics-lose-warhammer-40000-license-from-games-workshop/

I'm not surprised that GW cancelled the relationship with Titan comics. It remains to be seen whether GW can actually produce comic themselves and if they can actually do so without making it completely focused on the Spacemarines as previous comic efforts have been. Honestly I'd love a Warhammer 40K comic where the Orks, Eldar or Tau kick the crap out of the nasty Spacemarines.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm

uz000 wrote:https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/08/titan-comics-lose-warhammer-40000-license-from-games-workshop/

I'm not surprised that GW cancelled the relationship with Titan comics. It remains to be seen whether GW can actually produce comic themselves and if they can actually do so without making it completely focused on the Spacemarines as previous comic efforts have been. Honestly I'd love a Warhammer 40K comic where the Orks, Eldar or Tau kick the crap out of the nasty Spacemarines.

How about all three factions but on a planet infested by tyranids

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Fysh wrote:How was the animation style throughout the film? The trailers have looked pretty but also have a bit of an odd fake stopmotion feel to them that look like it might get wearying to watch after a while.

I think my favourite comic movie of the year is going to be Teen Titans Go! To The Movies, because I'm an idiot that way...

Go! Was my number one until yesterday
I had no issues with the animation style, or rather styles.
Each spider person is sort of realised in their "native" style, ie manga-anime for spy/Dr, looney toons for Porker, black and white for noir. But they've somehow managed to weave them into a seamless whole. This is the most comic-literate of films it throws you in to a world of multiple dimensions and expects you to hang on for the ride.
It made me laugh a good number of times. There's three or four points where I wasn't crying you were crying. And lots of fun action scenes. I saw it in 3d and I think that actually helped with the fight geography in the big end fight.
All in all muchly enjoyable and I think I'm going again with my neice and nephew next weekend.

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
How about all three factions but on a planet of the apes

Fixed

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:07 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
How about all three factions but on a planet infested by tyranids

I'll take any story which doesn't make the Spacemarines out to be amazing and actually shows the other factions as winners.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:37 pm

I just watched the anime "In this corner of the World" about a girl/woman growing up and living in the region of Hiroshima before and during WWII.

A very touching film, likeable to drive you to tears if you can be emotional.
All that loss, the tragedy of civilian life in wartime, culminating in the bomb killing the parents of the main character and leaving her younger sister with radiation sickness, with an almost certain outcome of course.

Watching a film like this, watching news coverage of the armed conflicts in the world right now, it just makes you wonder, how can people still find reason to justify wars.
I've now lived for 42 years on this earth and I find myself becoming less and less able to cynically block out the horrors happening all around the world.
My 25 year old self could make a detached, rational remark, but the person I am today feels more like despairing over our inability to overcome our baser instincts, when we, and I'm absolutely sure of that, also have the ability in all of us to strive for a higher, better way.

Anyway, if you like anime this might be a film you should watch, but be prepared it is a hard film to watch, when the calm rural life slowly gets torn apart by the war.
It's not quite as heart-wrenching as Grave of the Fireflies, but it did hit me quite hard.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Ernest Borg 9

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:32 pm

uz000 wrote:
I'll take any story which doesn't make the Spacemarines out to be amazing and actually shows the other factions as winners.

You heretic, I'll sic the Inquisition on you, chaos-spawn!

leave a comment with facebook