Tuesday, November 20, 2018 • Evening Edition • "For when life fails you."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

DC Movie Producer Admits No Backup Plan For Bad Projects

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

John Strange

Snake On A Plane

Postby John Strange » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Well, John, here is a bit of backstory to Warner Bros plans for this first of a batch of new DC origin movies:

You guys bitched about Leto as the Joker and now you're bitching about Leto not playing him. :lol:

I didn't bitch about it so "you guys" doesn't apply to me. I also think that a Joker movie is a somewhat ridiculous idea when DC has a immense gallery of characters that have their own story to be told.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 am

John Strange wrote:The Joker movie with Joaquin Phoenix was just confirmed. So... Jared Leto is out? Warner doesn't have a plan at all... maybe the plan is to get producers to fund movies with well known characters and pray for them to succeed.

Oh there's a plan all right - its called throwing things at a wall to see what sticks. But to be serious for a second, plans didnt work out so well for Warner Bros. Remember the genius in the corner? Yup, Zack Snyder. He was their Kevin Feige and he was going to retool the DC Universe and make it as successful as their counterparts over at Marvel. Only that didn't happen and after Justice League bombed at the box office both critically and commercial Warner Bros have seen their much maligned interconnected universe go up in smoke, so they are now focusing upon standalone movies. So does this mean that Jared Leto is out and now has to go back to singing for a paycheck? Not at all. Years ago, Warner Bros said that multiple versions of their heroes can exist, so the Flash you see on TV is different (and better!) than Ezra over in the Justice League and the Wonder Woman you see on the big screen is different than the one you see in the animated movies. As for whether a standalone movie featuring The Joker will bring about the big bucks and acclaim that Warner Bros so longs for is doubtful though - but who knows, stranger things have happened in the movie industry.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 am

The World Is Getting Another Joker Movie Whether It Wants One or Not

It's official: Joaquin Phoenix is slated to play Batman's most infamous nemesis in a standalone origin story film. The film will be an "exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study but also a broader cautionary tale," co-writer and director Todd Phillips (of The Hangover fame) told the The Hollywood Reporter. The budget is reportedly around $55 million, suggesting it will be a more low key story than DC's other recent outings, which have all cost at least twice that.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/3kyz ... one-or-not

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

achilles wrote:
I don't know about "you guys", but not me. I'm bitching about there being a Joker movie at all, much less more than one. He's a bad guy, a supporting character; we don't need to know his origin. Or really much at all about him beyond what would be revealed in a movie with Batman; and we've already had a couple of those.

Well, okay then. This post might lead someone to believe otherwise, though.

achilles wrote:Leto's recent roles haven't filled me with confidence. The worst live action Joker, and some forgettable bad guy in Blade Runner: We thought wrongly that Ryan Gosling and Leto could replace Ford and Rutger Hauer.

Never mind that Morbius is my 687th favorite Marvel character.

:P

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:08 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Well, okay then. This post might lead someone to believe otherwise, though.

:P

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of his either, but in this case, I'm mainly pissed that the Joker is getting one movie, much less more than that. I don't give a rat's ass who plays him, Kevin Sorbo can play that fool for all I care. Maybe Phoenix will play a better Joker, it's a case of a marginally better version of a character who gets way too much play as it is.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the coming reboot of the reboot of Robocop either. Even given the people involved. I just think his time is done, and there shouldn't be another movie.

Nor do I hold much hope for BOP, a concept that I liked as a comic, given that it's been billed as the Harley Quinn solo movie, and will be rated "R". For one thing, that's not a Harley Quinn thing. For another, pigeon-holing it as a "R" before it's even begun shooting....reeks of something, I'm not sure what. Might want to shoot the thing first and then see what it turns out as. Honestly, BOP as a movie could go either way. But as anything, it's by no means a Harley Quinn vehicle, no matter that my favorite ass plays her.

For Harley----see Joker for my opinion, way too much of her, and doesn't need or merit a solo anything, much less a movie.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:39 pm

achilles wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of his either, but in this case, I'm mainly pissed that the Joker is getting one movie, much less more than that. I don't give a rat's ass who plays him, Kevin Sorbo can play that fool for all I care. Maybe Phoenix will play a better Joker, it's a case of a marginally better version of a character who gets way too much play as it is.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the coming reboot of the reboot of Robocop either. Even given the people involved. I just think his time is done, and there shouldn't be another movie.

Nor do I hold much hope for BOP, a concept that I liked as a comic, given that it's been billed as the Harley Quinn solo movie, and will be rated "R". For one thing, that's not a Harley Quinn thing. For another, pigeon-holing it as a "R" before it's even begun shooting....reeks of something, I'm not sure what. Might want to shoot the thing first and then see what it turns out as. Honestly, BOP as a movie could go either way. But as anything, it's by no means a Harley Quinn vehicle, no matter that my favorite ass plays her.

For Harley----see Joker for my opinion, way too much of her, and doesn't need or merit a solo anything, much less a movie.

I don't think many people hold out much hope for the much maligned (but rightly so) DCEU on the big screen after the massive failure of the Zack Snyder universe. But Warner Bros isnt exactly showing a lot of faith in these new projects either - the Joker movie has a budget of around $55 million so if it tanks it wont be a bleeder like previous movies for the studio. And who knows people might actually enjoy it but all eyes will be upon Aquaman when that sails into theaters to see if the studio really has their shit together or if its just another big budget flop.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:28 pm

zryson wrote:
I don't think many people hold out much hope for the much maligned (but rightly so) DCEU on the big screen after the massive failure of the Zack Snyder universe. But Warner Bros isnt exactly showing a lot of faith in these new projects either - the Joker movie has a budget of around $55 million so if it tanks it wont be a bleeder like previous movies for the studio. And who knows people might actually enjoy it but all eyes will be upon Aquaman when that sails into theaters to see if the studio really has their shit together or if its just another big budget flop.

But why even do it then? Fans AFAIK didn't beg for it, they don't have a huge amount of confidence in it, and it isn't like the Joker is going to get the DCEU back on track. Or Harley Quinn's butt either.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm

achilles wrote:

But why even do it then? Fans AFAIK didn't beg for it, they don't have a huge amount of confidence in it, and it isn't like the Joker is going to get the DCEU back on track. Or Harley Quinn's butt either.

Why do it? There are several reasons. Warner Bros hopes that by attracting big name talent to their DC universe that it will deliver critical acclaim. Obviously that didn't work out so well for the studio with Ben Affleck or Amy Adams but the studio is still determined to press ahead and secondly the studio also wants cheaper movies, hence these new low-budget else-worlds types of movies so if they tank at the box office, the studio wont lose a whole lot of money. The question remains however, how will audiences react to two Jokers on the screen given the less than enthusiastic reception over Jared Leto's Joker in Suicide Squad? And you are right, fans were not exactly clamoring about a Joker movie but the studio system is a weird one and they are often deaf to what fans are telling them what they want - look at Disney and how they got it so wrong with Solo.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 pm

achilles wrote:But why even do it then? Fans AFAIK didn't beg for it, they don't have a huge amount of confidence in it, and it isn't like the Joker is going to get the DCEU back on track. Or Harley Quinn's butt either.

This seems to happen a lot in entertainment, despite the fact that it costs them a lot of money and can potential bankrupt a studio or production house. When they get the bit in their teeth, they just can't seem to let up. Instead of admitting that their superhero movies have completely lost to Marvel and accepting that discretion is the better part of valor, they keep trying to make one of these things work. They're willing to take the whole ship down with them rather than admit they're headed for an ice berg.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:52 am

Chessack wrote:This seems to happen a lot in entertainment, despite the fact that it costs them a lot of money and can potential bankrupt a studio or production house. When they get the bit in their teeth, they just can't seem to let up. Instead of admitting that their superhero movies have completely lost to Marvel and accepting that discretion is the better part of valor, they keep trying to make one of these things work. They're willing to take the whole ship down with them rather than admit they're headed for an ice berg.

It's just like with Universal's attempt to fit all the classic movie monsters fit into one continuity: Everyone wants in on the lucrative "shared universe" gimmick, given Marvel's success, so Warner Bros. is hardly alone on this. In fact, if they hadn't attempted it, fans would be complaining about it (of course, I mean the same fans that defend them as not wanting to "copy Marvel" to excuse why so may of their films are bereft of joy, smiles, humor, color, and coherence).

Thing is, just like with the New52, it all seems reactionary and not as well-planned as it could/should have been. Maybe in both cases, they should've followed Marvel's lead more closely.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Things Are Looking Fishy in New ‘Aquaman’ Image
http://collider.com/aquaman-image-fisherman-king/

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:29 pm

Kristen Wiig's Cheetah Leaps To Action In Wonder Woman 2 Set Video
https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-k ... ers-video/

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 am

4 Reasons 'Wonder Woman 1984' Should Move To Summer 2020

Why pit Wonder Woman 2 against Frozen 2?

While the Wonder Woman sequel will likely be played out by the time the ninth Star Wars movie rolls into town, it’ll still have to contend with Walt Disney’s animated juggernaut opening over Thanksgiving weekend. Heck, between Wonder Woman 2, Terminator, Frozen 2 and Star Wars 9, there will be plenty of butt-kicking female fantasy protagonist for everyone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 08d34d11d0

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 pm

The much anticipated trailer for Aquaman debuted today and it didn't.... suck nearly as bad as I thought it would but was it actually good? Well for starters Jason Momoa cannot act and has no chemistry with his female co-star, Amber Heard as Mera in the trailer. The humor also does not work. What should be laugh out moments simply fall flat. As for the special effects, they range from passable to excellent. So Aquaman could go either way when its released but considering that it will be facing off against major competition in the form of Mary Poppins Returns, I would not be surprised if Aquaman is unable to turn around the DC Movie Universe and considering how expensive the film is it could be another failure.

'Aquaman' Trailer Is A Cleansing Flood For DC Films' Post-'Justice League' Era
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 99e18c2fa2

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:34 pm

The trailer for Shazam was also released today and this marks the new series of films/direction Warner Bros is heading in after the fallout (to put it mildly) from the Zack Snyder Trilogy. Everything about the trailer works - from the colors, to the jokes, to the chemistry and effects. But Shazam is also an unknown test for Warner Bros who badly needs a hit to resonate with audiences and will Shazam be able to withstand the competition from Marvel in 2019?

First Shazam trailer is DC’s wacky answer to Justice League’s darkness
https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/21/17597 ... -sdcc-2018

leave a comment with facebook