Advertisement

Astonishing X-Men Is Not Good Enough to Warrant a 2nd Title

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Crump
Hater

Liked in: 0 post

Astonishing X-Men Is Not Good Enough to Warrant a 2nd Title

Postby Crump » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:33 am

AXM: Ghost Boxes #1 releases this week @ $3.99.

We are 3 issues into Ellis' run, and I'm pretty disappointed. I'm not sure what's happened, really, to warrant a SECOND title, albeit a mini. It's been a whole hell of a lot of talking--and Ellis writes dialogue well, so it's not like it's a chore to read--but so far the X-Men have talked, flown in their spaceship, and looked at a dead body, then flown in their spaceship some more.

How about if something cool is going to happen, Ellis puts it in the Astonishing X-Men comic, rather rather than spinning it off? It seems like all the setup--and it's been ALL setup--has led to a mini. And a $3.99 mini at that.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Crump on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goat

Advertisement

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:46 am

I'm not surprised that Warren Ellis' Astonishing X-Men has sucked.

He's not a good fit for those characters.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:59 am

MoneyMelon wrote:I'm not surprised that Warren Ellis' Astonishing X-Men has sucked.

He's not a good fit for those characters.

Agreed. I think they shoulda just left Astonishing as a 12 issue mini series and left it at that.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:06 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Agreed. I think they shoulda just left Astonishing as a 12 issue mini series and left it at that.

Either that, or find a more suitable writer.

I feel like the X-Men is a group where the writer needs to pay very close attention to characterization. Joss Whedon, Mike Carey and (to a lesser degree) Fraction/Brubaker understand that.

But Warren Ellis has a tendency to force characters into certain types that he writes over and over again on team books. That approach might work for certain things, but I don't think it works for the X-Men.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 pm

I actually like Ellis' Astonishing X-Men, although I didn't think the dialog in the last issue with Beast and Cyclops was any good. I think Ellis spent 3 pages discussing if and why Cyclops said "fucking."

But, I thought the first two issues were good, and I'm kinda looking forward to the Ghost Box mini -- of course, I didn't and probably wouldn't pay $4 for the book.

PDH
rubber spoon

Liked in: 1 post

Postby PDH » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Ghost Box is about compensating for the delays. Simone Bianchi can't keep up so they're doing this to fill in the time.

It also has art by Alan Davis and Adi Granov, which is frankly stunning based on what we've seen in previews. Worth it for that alone.

As for Astonishing (and this is all just my opinion) I think it's great. The characterisation seems spot on to me and I love the dialogue. Whedon's dialogue was far quirkier and his characterisations even moreso. The only character used here that reminds me of other Ellis characters is Emma who resembles his take on Moonstone. Not surprising, given how similar they are. Whedon is much worse for using the same characters over and over. Especially Wolverine who was basically Jane from Firefly and Kitty who was deliberately - and appropriately, since she inspired them all - modelled on the fine tradition of Whedon kooky females.

And frankly, I don't think Whedon overuses character archetypes very much, either. Just a lot more than Ellis does.

Honestly, Whedon's run disappointed me quite a bit in the end and I'm a huge fan of Whedon normally. The first story was great, everything else was a bad Star Trek: TNG plot.

And I genuinely can't think of another writer I'd rather see on this book besides Morrison, which ain't gonna happen. This is the X-Men portrayed as competent professionals comfortable in each other's company who just get the job done. Makes a nice change, for me.

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Question.. and a spoiler within it. Which Astonishing X-Men series has Magneto in the Sentinel? I saw previews for that but forgot which series it was the main, annual, or limited.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Zechs wrote:Question.. and a spoiler within it. Which Astonishing X-Men series has Magneto in the Sentinel? I saw previews for that but forgot which series it was the main, annual, or limited.

Ghost Boxes

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 pm

It's probably because the main book comes out so infrequently.

Either way, I agree that Ellis is not right for the book. His AXM is balls.

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:08 pm

I thought Bianchi was a pretty fast artist? I'm not sure I buy him being the cause for the delay.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

JL_Amato wrote:I thought Bianchi was a pretty fast artist? I'm not sure I buy him being the cause for the delay.

I've never gotten the impression that he was a fast artist.. I actually always thought quite the opposite.

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:34 pm

KSChris wrote:I've never gotten the impression that he was a fast artist.. I actually always thought quite the opposite.

Didn't his Wolverine stuff come out on time?

He hasn't really done much besides covers.

PDH
rubber spoon

Postby PDH » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:03 pm

JL_Amato wrote:I thought Bianchi was a pretty fast artist? I'm not sure I buy him being the cause for the delay.

Well, it's very unlikely that Ellis is to blame since he's writing this.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:25 pm

JL_Amato wrote:Didn't his Wolverine stuff come out on time?

He hasn't really done much besides covers.

He did the Shining Knight mini with Morrison for Seven Soldiers.

I don't remember if that was on time, but if memory serves me right, all of those mini's had pretty scattered release schedules anyway, so even if there were delays, they were a part of the schedule.

As for Wolverine, I could be wrong, but I do remember there being delay(s)..

Crump
Hater

Postby Crump » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:29 pm

KSChris wrote:
As for Wolverine, I could be wrong, but I do remember there being delay(s)..

But Loeb wrote that, right?
Goat

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand