Sunday, September 23, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "At least we're not Bleeding Cool!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Whale: a graphic novel based on Moby Dick

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Whale

Whippersnapper

Postby Whale » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:56 am

Hi everyone,
I'm a cartoonist, illustrator and teacher from Finland. I've been working many years with a 200-page graphic novel project The Whale, which is loosely based on Melville's classic Moby Dick. As the book, the album tells a detailed story of the harsh life of whaler, but it's also a lot more:

Aboard the ship the inexperienced whaler Ishmael learns to know a sailor who has been saved from the sea. He has lost his memory. The only hint of his identity is a knife he is clasping in his hand with the name Steelkit engraved on it. Soon he reveals his dark side to the sailors...

The essence of my adaptation is the sailors, who loose themselves out on the open seas and the circular structure of the narrative: events repeat themselves, over and over again, as if the sailors were under a curse. They are set in motion through human cruelty towards other humans and animals. In this vicious circle of evil, Ahab, blinded by his thirst for revenge, steers his ship towards the white whale. The seagulls following the ship seem to see more than the humans aboard and they might have something to say. But are human beings capable of listening to Nature’s warnings?

Here is a couple sample pages from the beginning. Please don't mind about the font, it will be hand lettered. I also update information about the project and it's progress on the Facebook site that was set up in August 2017. I started it in Finnish but lately I've been writing all the posts both in Finnish and English. If you find this project interesting you are warmly welcome to follow!

Best,
Janne Toriseva
The Whale on Facebook

kerrymartin961

Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby kerrymartin961 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:22 am

Hello Janne! How are you?

The explanation which you gave is impressive. As your facebook page is in Finnish language which I can't understand, I can only read the detail you mentioned here. I will wait for the English version.

Whale

Whippersnapper

Postby Whale » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:25 am

Hi Kerry and thank you for your feedback,
I'm happy to hear that you found The Whale interesting. All the posts of this year are both in Finnish and English, the English translation follows the Finnish text. Because Facebook shows only few first rows of the text, you may have to click the "see more" in the end of the visible text to see the English translations. The facebook pages have got some English followers lately, so I'll definitely keep posting in both languages.

leave a comment with facebook