Wednesday, July 18, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "Putting the yellow back into journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Did Steve Ditko Fake His Own Death So You'd Stop Writing Him Stupid Letters?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 pm

The Outhouse's investigative team takes a deep dive.

Steve Ditko was a legendary comics creator co-creating Spider-Man and Doctor Strange with some other unimportant guy. Ditko was also a famous recluse, wanting his work to stand on its own. The dictionary defines recluse as "leave me the fuck alone." His last public interview with a journalist was in 1968. The Outhouse has accessed NYPD reports that claim that a man looking like Ditko was recently seen eating at the McDonald's Ditko ate at every day.

In 2016, Vulture tried getting an interview with Ditko ahead of the release of the Doctor Strange movie.

I tried calling first, and actually got him on the line. "Hello?" an aged voice said. I asked if I was speaking to Mr. Ditko; I was told that I was. I said I was a journalist and that I'd like to meet him, even if our visit would be off the record. "I can't hear you," he said. "There's something wrong with the phone. Write me a letter." Click. I did as he said, and after seven days without a response, I called again, greeting him and asking if he'd received my letter. "Oh, I don't know," he said, irritated. I asked again if I could come visit. "Look, I don't have time for this," he replied. Click.

Sending and receiving correspondence with Ditko is a source of pride for fans of his. Dial B For Blog has amassed a collection of Ditko responses. Ditko was repeatedly anti-autograph.

ditko2.jpg

ditko4.jpg

ditko5.jpg

ditko9.jpg

ditko10.jpg

In a breaking update, a Brooklyn art supply store swore they saw Ditko there the day after he passed away.

Returning to the letters, Ditko also didn't have time for you to bother him with your questions and queries.

ditko3.jpg

ditko1.jpg 

The Outhouse approached the landlord of the Brutalist concrete apartment building Ditko called home for years. When asked who lived there, all the landlord said was that a Mr. A had taken up residency there recently.

Steve Ditko died in late June aged 90. Or maybe he faked his own death so you'd stop writing him stupid letters. The world may never know.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm

What the fuck?

A genius in the comics world dies and you decide to snark him with a lame suicide joke?

Joseph N. Welch wrote:"Have you no sense of decency."

:smt011

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Can someone fire this unfunny asshole?

timmidura

Whippersnapper

Postby timmidura » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:56 pm

StrongStyleFiction wrote:Can someone fire this unfunny asshole?

You're onto something here. Tim, can you fire yourself, please?

OneWhoIsAll

Expert Post Whore

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Wow what an asshole.

And I'm not talking about Steve Ditko.

Mac E Tero

dINGO

Postby Mac E Tero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Tim would fake fire himself and post three articles about it.

OneWhoIsAll

Expert Post Whore

Postby OneWhoIsAll » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Mac E Tero wrote:Tim would fake fire himself and post three articles about it.

And have sdhero fix it.

Scarecrow

Peanut

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 pm

How do we know we aren't all dead and Ditko is the one alive?

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 pm

SERIOUSLY?!? :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

What's the FUCK went wrong with a person, where they think an article like this right after the death of a comics visionary is a good idea?

Yeah, I see why this poll exists now.

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 pm

timmidura wrote:
You're onto something here. Tim, can you fire yourself, please?

3 Options:

Option 1: You learn how to act like a decent human being.

Option 2: You learn to actually be funny.

Option 3: You stop posting bullshit.

Jack Charlemagne

rubber spoon

Postby Jack Charlemagne » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:15 am

At least Steve didn't just completely ignore the unwanted messages, which is the current generation's go-to response (or lack thereof), with their non-word-balloon-bubbles and safe spaces and denied friend requests and block buttons and restraining orders.

For that matter, Steve should've also listened to modern, know-it-all comicker heroes like Robert Kirkman and followed up his time with the big two by taking a shot at the indies so he could find real success. Kirkman says the audiences come right on over, and he's from Kentucky so you just know he knows his shit. But then with his indie superstar status Steve could just get comic bloggers to swing his public relations for him. Free him up to sniff out licensing deals while dodging sexual harassment claims, just like Stantheman orated when he founded comics to help our boys overseas win the war against solipsism.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:13 am

Ummm...what the actual fuck?

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 am

I'm surprised by the sincerity and politeness of Ditko's answers. His autograph/interview refusals are incredibly well-mannered.

In truth, his responses/refusals are much more cooler than a "regular" autograph. :)

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:50 am

Jack Charlemagne wrote:At least Steve didn't just completely ignore the unwanted messages, which is the current generation's go-to response (or lack thereof), with their non-word-balloon-bubbles and safe spaces and denied friend requests and block buttons and restraining orders.

For that matter, Steve should've also listened to modern, know-it-all comicker heroes like Robert Kirkman and followed up his time with the big two by taking a shot at the indies so he could find real success. Kirkman says the audiences come right on over, and he's from Kentucky so you just know he knows his shit. But then with his indie superstar status Steve could just get comic bloggers to swing his public relations for him. Free him up to sniff out licensing deals while dodging sexual harassment claims, just like Stantheman orated when he founded comics to help our boys overseas win the war against solipsism.

I think a lot of those guys could learn from the late great Roger Moore, who famously would sign anything for a fan, no matter how inconvenient a time it was, because as he told his daughter, they were the people who got him where he was.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:50 am

Spacedog wrote:I'm surprised by the sincerity and politeness of Ditko's answers. His autograph/interview refusals are incredibly well-mannered.

In truth, his responses/refusals are much more cooler than a "regular" autograph. :)

If I'd had one of those to me, I'd have framed it.

leave a comment with facebook