Friday, September 21, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "Trash eaters."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Help Save the Outhouse

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 am

Scintillant-H wrote:I hope that becomes the next idiotic complaint about this place "what's with those solicitation articles, BLEG! Now they're so bored out of their minds at that dump that they're talking about vomit. That's the Outhouse anymore, all right: Nothing but vomit." :smt005

Cant argue that the place is thinning, but that solicitations complaint had me rolling. Like its a new feature demonstrating the place's deterioration XD its been going on for years before Jude left.

Soon, someone will post a thread devoted to vomit, and the Outhouse's conversion to the dark side will be complete...

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

achilles wrote:
Soon, someone will post a thread devoted to vomit, and the Outhouse's conversion to the dark side will be complete...

... you mean there ISN'T a vomit thread?? In all these years??

And I thought I KNEW you people...! :smt011

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Keb wrote:You are one of my all-time favs.

Keb! The feeling is mutual, of course. How are things?

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:11 am

Eli Katz wrote:Keb! The feeling is mutual, of course. How are things?

I'm good. Just started a new school year. How about you?

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:59 am

Keb wrote:I'm good. Just started a new school year. How about you?

Glad to hear.

I'm doing well. Good health, good job, etc. But I've neglected comics for a number years now. I read the occasional graphic novel. And usually whatever Brubaker does with Phillips. Politics is more interesting than art right now.

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:43 am

Eli Katz wrote:Glad to hear.

I'm doing well. Good health, good job, etc. But I've neglected comics for a number years now. I read the occasional graphic novel. And usually whatever Brubaker does with Phillips. Politics is more interesting than art right now.

Politics IS art right now :lol: the manner in which shit is being smeared across the walls is HISTORICAL

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Glad to hear.

Same with me.

I was out of the loop on things too but I got to teach Maus last year and this semester I get to teach Watchmen. I'm trying to convince my DH for a set of Dark Knight Returns or V for Vendetta for next year.

That kind of pushed me to get back into comics. So this summer I spent some cash and got some stuff they reprinted in new formats.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 am

Keb wrote:Same with me.

I was out of the loop on things too but I got to teach Maus last year and this semester I get to teach Watchmen. I'm trying to convince my DH for a set of Dark Knight Returns or V for Vendetta for next year.

That kind of pushed me to get back into comics. So this summer I spent some cash and got some stuff they reprinted in new formats.

I think V for Vendetta would be especially fun to teach. I could see it taught alongside various dystopian novels. Or alongside novels that explore political radicalism. Like Lessing's The Good Terrorist.

I'm envious. That's very cool.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:38 am

Scintillant-H wrote:Politics IS art right now :lol: the manner in which shit is being smeared across the walls is HISTORICAL

:lol:

Yeah, unfortunately, it's performance art. A 24/7 Gong Show. But no one's banging the gong and so the amateurs continue, unfazed, with their ugly stage act.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:26 am

Eli Katz wrote: :lol:

Yeah, unfortunately, it's performance art. A 24/7 Gong Show. But no one's banging the gong and so the amateurs continue, unfazed, with their ugly stage act.

“Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land, they own and control the corporations that've long since bought and paid for, the senate, the congress, the state houses, the city halls, they got the judges in their back pocket, and they own all the big media companies so they control just about all of the news and the information you get to hear. They got you by the balls. They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want. They want more for themselves and less for everybody else. But I'll tell you what they don't want. They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that. That doesn't help them.”

“Now, there's one thing you might have noticed I don't complain about: politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says they suck. Well, where do people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. They come from American parents and American families, American homes, American schools, American churches, American businesses and American universities, and they are elected by American citizens. This is the best we can do folks. This is what we have to offer. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out. If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're going to get selfish, ignorant leaders. Term limits ain't going to do any good; you're just going to end up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans. So, maybe, maybe, maybe, it's not the politicians who suck. Maybe something else sucks around here... like, the public. Yeah, the public sucks. There's a nice campaign slogan for somebody: 'The Public Sucks. F*ck Hope.”

~George Carlin

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:57 am

Eli Katz wrote:I think V for Vendetta would be especially fun to teach. I could see it taught alongside various dystopian novels. Or alongside novels that explore political radicalism. Like Lessing's The Good Terrorist.

I'm envious. That's very cool.

I've taught V - a few years back we ran a Masters-level course on comics, and that was one of my texts (also a volume of Sandman, Mr Punch, the Lee/Kirby FF and Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics).

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm

nietoperz wrote:
I've taught V - a few years back we ran a Masters-level course on comics, and that was one of my texts (also a volume of Sandman, Mr Punch, the Lee/Kirby FF and Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics).

I've got grade 11s. Unlike Masters students, they don't read. It's impossible to get them to read a full novel in grade 11. Upon further thought, V would be too complex for them (at least in grade 11).

I'd probably combine it with Macbeth and the Godfather. I combine everything with Macbeth and the Godfather in grade 11. I think DKR would pair well with those two.

Our options are very limited by a curriculum that hasn't been updated in over 20 years.

leave a comment with facebook