Wednesday, November 14, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "The place to talk some shit."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group #653 - House Amok #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:29 am

Image

House Amok #1

Image


Ten-year-old fraternal twin Dylan Sandifer and her family have fallen down a rabbit hole full of secret implants, conspiracy theories, Mandela effects, extradimensional invaders, and organ thieves. As the attacks against them intensify, the Sandifers light out on a cross-country search for answers and salvation, blazing a bloody path of torture, arson and murder. Can young Dylan save her family from these delusions... or is this ornate conspiracy actually true? “The Sandifers are experiencing a mental condition known as folie a deux, a shared madness that will drive them to kidnap and torture strangers, burn down secret safe houses, and do whatever it takes to stay alive.” —Christopher Sebela, Eisner-nominated writer. It’s a summer vacation the Sandifers will never forget, evoking Natural Born Killers and The X-Files for fans of Paper Girls and Locke & Key.


Digital copy can be found here.

Ze rules:

Post your review in the forum thread or in the comments section here on the front page.

Review as often or as little as you like. Once you've posted 5 reviews, you will be awarded 1 pick. You can post 5 reviews, right? That's a totally achievable goal and with day and date digital releases becoming the standard, it shouldn't matter if your shop ordered enough copies of this weeks comic or not.

When multiple Review Groupers have posted 5 (or more) qualifying reviews, they will be awarded their pick in the order that they qualified. What constitutes a qualifying review? Any review posted (with a score on a scale from 0-10, that's right 0!) within 1 calendar month of the thread going live. Reviews are to be at least 5 sentences long. It shows that a) you have at least read this week's pick and b) you have some unique insight into the comic.

Reviews posted while waiting in line for your pick will be applied to your next pick.

I'll be keeping track of everyone's progress with the newly christened Spreadsheet of Fantastic (RIP, Spreadsheet of Doom) and reporting the results in the Current Members list in the weekly OP. When it's your turn to make a pick, I will PM you. If you do not respond to me by Midnight EST the following Sunday, you will lose your pick and I will start a poll to determine that week's selection.

Any week in which we do not have a Review Grouper with 5 qualifying picks, we will determine the week's comic via poll.

If it's your week to pick, remember to keep it at $3.99 or under.

5 Reviews


4 Reviews
Grayson
HNutz
Scintillant-H
Sully85
thefourthman


3 Reviews
Angus H
GLX
guitarsmashley
jephd
Stephen Day


2 Reviews
OneWhoIsAll
Punchy
senwolf
The Beast

1 Review
David Bird
ElijahSnowFan
Pizza Dog
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:30 am

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
001-158. The Newsarama threads
159-500. Early Outhouse Age
501. Colder: Toss the Bones #1 - 7
502. Paper Girls #1 - No reviews in.
503. Captain America: Sam Wilson #1 - 8
504. The Steam Man #1 - 8
505. Art Ops #1 - 9
506. Drax #1 - 5
507. Ultimates #1 - 8
508. Red Thorn #1 - 6
509. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1 - 7.7
510. Daredevil #1 - 7
511. Scarlet Witch #1 - 7
512. Weirdworld #1 - 8
513. DC Comics Bombshells #7 - 4.8
514. Colder: Toss the Bones #4 - 8
515. Rocket Raccoon and Groot #1 - 3.5
516. Black Knight #3 - 6
517. Silver Surfer #1 - 8
518. Venom: Space Knight #3 - 7
519. Spider-Man #1 - 5
520. The Dark and Bloody #1 - 7
521. Power Man and Iron Fist #1 - 6
522. Spider-Man 2099 #7 - 6
523. Black Widow #1 - 9
524. Haunted Mansion #1 - 7
525. International Iron Man #1 - 4
526. New Avengers #8 - 8
527. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #5 - 8
528. Black Widow #2 - 8
529. Mockingbird #2 - 7.5
530. Nova #6 - 7
531. Drax #6 - 7.8
532. Week of 5/4/16
533. Black Panther #2 - 6
534. Red Thorn #7 - 5.8
535. Nighthawk #1 - 8.5
536. Contest of Champions #9 - 7.5
537. Invader Zim #10 - 7.5
538. Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat #7 - 6.8
539. Scarlet Witch #7 - 7
540. Spider-Man/Deadpool #6 - 6.4
541. Batman '66 Meets Steed and Mrs. Peel #1 - 6.5
542. New Super-Man #1 - 3.8
543. Thunderbolts #3 - 6.8
544. Nightwing #1 - 6.3
545. Marvel Tsum Tsum #1 - 8.5
546. Deathstroke: Rebirth #1 - 6.2
547. I Hate Fairyland #8 - 7
548. Kingsway West #1 - 8
549. Witchfinder: City of the Dead #1 - 8.25
550. Doctor Strange #11 - 7.5
551. Mockingbird #7 - 7.2
552. Guardians of the Galaxy #12 - 5
553. Aliens: Defiance #5 - 7.25
554. Jessica Jones #1 - 6.3
555. Great Lakes Avengers #1 - 7
556. Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #1 - 7
557. All-New All-Different Avengers #15 - 7
558. Mayday #1 - 4
559. Mother Panic #1 - 6.3
560. Ether #1 - 5
561. Ultimates 2 #1 - 6
562. Black Widow #8 - 8
563. Nova #1 - 7
564. Hawkeye #1 - 7
565. Occupy Avengers #2 - 9
566. Blue Beetle #4 - 5
567. Captain America: Sam Wilson #17 - 4
568. Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme #4 - 8
569. The Mighty Captain Marvel #1 - 7
570. Prowler #4 - 6
571. Death of Hawkman #5 - 7.5
572. The Unworthy Thor #4 - 6
573. Daredevil #17 - 7
574. The Kamandi Challenge #2 - 8
575. Savage Things #1 - 6
576. Silver Surfer #9 - 9
577. Superman #19 - 6
578. Iron Fist #1 - 3
579. Lobster Johnson: The Pirate's Ghost #1 - 7
580. Royals #1 - 7
581. Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #6- 8
582. Monsters Unleashed #1 - 8
583. Black Panther #13 - 8
584. Week of 5/3/17
585. Ms. Marvel #18 - 7
586. DC Comics Bombshells #27 - 7
587. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #19 - 8
588. Saga #43 - 6
589. The Divided States Of Hysteria #1 - 3
590. Bug! The Adventures of Forager #2 - 9
591. The Mighty Thor #20 - 7.8
592. Occupy Avengers #8 - 3.8
593. Diablo House #1 - 3
594. Spider-Men II #1 - 5.6
595. Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #10 - 4.5
596. Batman/Shadow #4 - 4.5
597. Elsewhere #1 - 7.3
598. Mister Miracle #1 - 6.5
599. Genius: Cartel #1 - 5
600. Nightwing: The New Order #1 - 6
601. Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic - Mace Windu #1 - 5.5
602. Daredevil #26 - 8
603. Runaways #1 - 8
604. Angelic #1 - 4
605. Bombshells United #2 - 6
606. Iron Fist #73 - 8
607. Ragman #1 - 6
608. All-New Guardians Of The Galaxy #12 - 7.1
609. Blue Beetle #14 - 7
610. Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #1 - 8
611. Master of Kung Fu #126 - 4.8
612. Jenny Finn #1 - 7.5
613. Imaginary Fiends #1 - 8
614. Darkhawk #51 - 9
615. Hawkeye #13 - 7
616. Giants #1 - 7
617. Marvel Two-In-One #1 - 8.7
618. Hawkman: Found #1 - 4.5
619. Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles #1 - 5
620. Old Man Hawkeye #1 - 6.5
621. Avengers #676 - 6.5
622. Marvel Two-In-One #2 - 9
623. Despicable Deadpool #293 - 6.5
624. Deathstroke #28 - 7
625. Death of Love #1 - 8
626. The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman #1 - 8
627. Lockjaw #1 - 8
628. Shade the Changing Woman #1 - 6
629. Dry County #1 - 4
630. Monsters Unleashed #12 - 8
631. Mother Panic: Gotham A.D. #1 - 8
632. Runaways #8 - 6.8
633. Exiles #1 - 7.3
634. Ms. Marvel #29 - 8.5
635. The Mighty Thor #706 - 7.5
636. Captain America #701 - 5.3
637. Scooby Apocalypse #25 - 6
638. Bubba Ho-Tep and the Cosmic Blood-Suckers #1 - 6.3
639. Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk #1 - 8
640. Blackwood #1 - 7
641. Ant-Man and The Wasp #1 - 5.5
642. Proxima Centauri #1 - 4.75
643. Justice League #2 - 5.7
644. Modern Fantasy #1 - 3.3
645. Cosmic Ghost Rider #1 - 6.8
646. Ms. Marvel #32 - 8.3
647. The Thrilling Adventure Hour #1 - 8
648. Bone Parish #1 - 7.5
649. The Seeds #1 - 8.8
650. Daredevil #606 - 8
651. Edge of Spider-Geddon #1 - 8
652. The Terrifics #7 - 9
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:31 am

Next week's pick is.....?

https://www.midtowncomics.com/store/wee ... 2018&pl=19
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:32 pm



The Dreaming #1
Asgardians of the Galaxy #1
User avatar

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:17 am

Either of those

Or
Bully Wars 1
Border Town 1

Im going to get up to date on reviews today
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:12 pm

I really did not like this. A story about a family running around doing evil things to people seemed like it might be somewhat interesting. For my enjoyment though, stories about characters in situations like that need to have a certain subtlety. This story didn't have that at all. It was pretty in your face actually. Reading the solicitation, with it talking about a shared delusion and insanity, I thought there would be some subtlety, but how wrong I was.

If someone likes this sort of story that's in your face about the torture and nastiness of the characters then they'll enjoy this tale. I have to say that it's just not for me.

1 out of 10
User avatar

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:24 pm

I went into this blind. I knew nothing except that id been slightly disappointed in black crown so far. The cartoony art took a lot of the edge off some strong violence and got me to buy in to the concept that the family might, might be in the right. That the delusions depths were revealed in the las 3 pages followed by the last page twist set up an interesting tale. I wont be back next issue but i may well chack out the trade to see how the story comes together.
5.5/10
User avatar

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I really did not like this. A story about a family running around doing evil things to people seemed like it might be somewhat interesting. For my enjoyment though, stories about characters in situations like that need to have a certain subtlety. This story didn't have that at all. It was pretty in your face actually. Reading the solicitation, with it talking about a shared delusion and insanity, I thought there would be some subtlety, but how wrong I was.

If someone likes this sort of story that's in your face about the torture and nastiness of the characters then they'll enjoy this tale. I have to say that it's just not for me.

1 out of 10

Just by the mentioned lack of any subtlety, I can tell I won't have much nice to say. Any torture? FUCK, glad Im not going into this with any hopes...
Sounds like someone wanted to be all edgy and "lookit me, Ma! I a growned up nao!" rather than a storyteller. (But I do acknowledge that as potentially being too harsh, as there really are people who arent trying to prove they're tough by such things, they just... like it :smt102 )
User avatar

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:Just by the mentioned lack of any subtlety, I can tell I won't have much nice to say. Any torture? FUCK, glad Im not going into this with any hopes...
Sounds like someone wanted to be all edgy and "lookit me, Ma! I a growned up nao!" rather than a storyteller. (But I do acknowledge that as potentially being too harsh, as there really are people who arent trying to prove they're tough by such things, they just... like it :smt102 )

*reads de book*

Thankfully, it wasn't quite as poorly done as I thought it would be.

The shift from present to past and back again as we see how things got to this point was well done. Some stories are clunky about this maneuver. House Amok was seamless, but not masterful, which is certainly the most we can ask for. So long as a move doesnt push the reader out of the story, we have a victory.

Another compliment would be how they managed to make it feel like you just watched a movie. It felt much longer than it was and went by very quickly, a sign that it managed to strap you in for the ride. What any well arranged story should do.

As a "book one", this was clearly a set up for the ACTUAL plot readers are in for from book two onward. A well done set up. The order of events, the family sounding like a family as well as actual people (crazy as they are), dragging some sympathy from you for the main character, even some interest in book two. Well done. This person knows how to handle a story indeed, and I happily retract my previous suspicions that they were going for an Edgelord award. It could still be true, but if so then its not too obvious. Yet. The way this series plays out will show us more on that front. While still possible, they warrant enough benefit of the doubt.

For all the compliments to give this book, actual content could stray into stale territory. Painting the family as "totally normal classic fam(... while being insane murderers)" yet giving the mother that hair style? While it may not be my regular tea, I do enjoy that hair on some people. The problem is that its out of place, here. Seeming to try and reach for in-fashion readers but at the expense of the story. Then grabbing at Slenderman, painting him red, and giving him duplicates... like the mother's hair, attempts to strike cheaply at popular notions for a quick score.

As a fan of finely told stories, I was mostly pleased.
As a fan of psychological thrillers, I was somewhat pleased. Nothing to write home about.
As a fan of horror, I was... disappointed. At the very least, they didnt drag the torture out to earn more slasher points, but still.

While the actual quality of the story, regardless of specific content, was more than well done enough to spur interest in a second book if only because you want to see little Dyl have a happy ending.... it plain fell short. It left me with "I really wanna see how these people LOSE. Pick up book two? ...... ehhhh....." There isnt enough interest for that. There's more than enough to do in a day that's twice as interesting. Sims Mobile just gave us a new career quest, for one (dance instructor ;) ). Should a review group center around book 2, I wouldnt be unhappy to pick it up but wouldnt care a whole lot either.

6/10
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Scintillant-H wrote:*reads de book*

Thankfully, it wasn't quite as poorly done as I thought it would be.

The shift from present to past and back again as we see how things got to this point was well done. Some stories are clunky about this maneuver. House Amok was seamless, but not masterful, which is certainly the most we can ask for. So long as a move doesnt push the reader out of the story, we have a victory.

Another compliment would be how they managed to make it feel like you just watched a movie. It felt much longer than it was and went by very quickly, a sign that it managed to strap you in for the ride. What any well arranged story should do.

As a "book one", this was clearly a set up for the ACTUAL plot readers are in for from book two onward. A well done set up. The order of events, the family sounding like a family as well as actual people (crazy as they are), dragging some sympathy from you for the main character, even some interest in book two. Well done. This person knows how to handle a story indeed, and I happily retract my previous suspicions that they were going for an Edgelord award. It could still be true, but if so then its not too obvious. Yet. The way this series plays out will show us more on that front. While still possible, they warrant enough benefit of the doubt.

For all the compliments to give this book, actual content could stray into stale territory. Painting the family as "totally normal classic fam(... while being insane murderers)" yet giving the mother that hair style? While it may not be my regular tea, I do enjoy that hair on some people. The problem is that its out of place, here. Seeming to try and reach for in-fashion readers but at the expense of the story. Then grabbing at Slenderman, painting him red, and giving him duplicates... like the mother's hair, attempts to strike cheaply at popular notions for a quick score.

As a fan of finely told stories, I was mostly pleased.
As a fan of psychological thrillers, I was somewhat pleased. Nothing to write home about.
As a fan of horror, I was... disappointed. At the very least, they didnt drag the torture out to earn more slasher points, but still.

While the actual quality of the story, regardless of specific content, was more than well done enough to spur interest in a second book if only because you want to see little Dyl have a happy ending.... it plain fell short. It left me with "I really wanna see how these people LOSE. Pick up book two? ...... ehhhh....." There isnt enough interest for that. There's more than enough to do in a day that's twice as interesting. Sims Mobile just gave us a new career quest, for one (dance instructor ;) ). Should a review group center around book 2, I wouldnt be unhappy to pick it up but wouldnt care a whole lot either.

6/10


Welcome back, H.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests