Friday, September 21, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "Voted best hair in high school."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Oh (Neck) Snap! Henry Cavill Out As Superman!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:41 am

Well, I'll give this to Cavill, he worked hard to muscle up. But he was too short to be Superman, visible when he stood next to Affleck. He also had the emotional range from A to a. And his facial expression as Superman ranged from pooping, to being really constipated and trying to poop. The latter being his rage face. Also his "No, don't do it!" face. And his fighting face.

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am

achilles wrote:Well, I'll give this to Cavill, he worked hard to muscle up. But he was too short to be Superman, visible when he stood next to Affleck. He also had the emotional range from A to a. And his facial expression as Superman ranged from pooping, to being really constipated and trying to poop. The latter being his rage face. Also his "No, don't do it!" face. And his fighting face.

While its true that a very talented individual can make limitations work (see: Tim Curry. Also: any hit show/cartoon that had editorial restrictions that forced creators to get, well, creative and ended up with a BETTER product), its something you dont see happen too often. That kind of talent isnt easy to find.

What we end up with are people ranging from "bad" to "extremely skilled." Even extremely skilled people will stagger or worse under forced mediocrity such as a bad script. I've seen grade A actors deliver their C game when the script sucks, and when I say "actors" I mean ALL IN ONE PROJECT. You dont get that many good actors bringing shit to the party without something beyond them being at fault.

That said, Ive never seen Caville in anything else so Ive no idea if he does suck or not as an actor, and on the height thing, they really should have used movie tricks to hide/downplay that. But that takes tact and forethought, two of many good qualities that these movies lacked, lol.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 am

Scintillant-H wrote:While its true that a very talented individual can make limitations work (see: Tim Curry. Also: any hit show/cartoon that had editorial restrictions that forced creators to get, well, creative and ended up with a BETTER product), its something you dont see happen too often. That kind of talent isnt easy to find.

What we end up with are people ranging from "bad" to "extremely skilled." Even extremely skilled people will stagger or worse under forced mediocrity such as a bad script. I've seen grade A actors deliver their C game when the script sucks, and when I say "actors" I mean ALL IN ONE PROJECT. You dont get that many good actors bringing shit to the party without something beyond them being at fault.

That said, Ive never seen Caville in anything else so Ive no idea if he does suck or not as an actor, and on the height thing, they really should have used movie tricks to hide/downplay that. But that takes tact and forethought, two of many good qualities that these movies lacked, lol.

I would have been curious as to why they didn't use the usual tricks to hide the height thing, but then I remembered that Snyder was the initial director, and he's about as sloppy as they come. Either that, or he just doesn't care.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 am

achilles wrote:Well, I'll give this to Cavill, he worked hard to muscle up. But he was too short to be Superman, visible when he stood next to Affleck. He also had the emotional range from A to a. And his facial expression as Superman ranged from pooping, to being really constipated and trying to poop. The latter being his rage face. Also his "No, don't do it!" face. And his fighting face.

Actually the height of Affleck in comparison to Cavill was planned that way because of Snyder. As for Cavill's muscles, his appearance was never the problem but rather the lack of talent because you cant bring out somebody's ability if its not there to begin with. Cavill starred with some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry, not that any of them were particularly great because Snyder's movies have lots of action but awful scripts and acting. And it should be noted that again, the scripts had some talented people writing them. So what went wrong? Well casting is the major factor. Then the choice of directors. No wonder Warner Bros is so disappointed and trying to clean their slate.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:52 am

Thank God Warner Bros avoided a catastrophe with Cage's Superman never making it to the big screen

Nicolas Cage Was a Fan of Henry Cavill’s Superman, But Sees a Lot More Potential For the Role

“I thought Henry Cavill was a very good Superman and I liked the anger he brought to the role,” Cage said.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/nicol ... 202003776/

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:55 am

The DC Films Universe Is Dead. Long Live Warner Bros.' DC Films Series

So, is the DC Films franchises as we know it on the cusp of death? Well, yes, but that may not be a bad thing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 8d200c185c

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:49 am

zryson wrote:The DC Films Universe Is Dead. Long Live Warner Bros.' DC Films Series

So, is the DC Films franchises as we know it on the cusp of death? Well, yes, but that may not be a bad thing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 8d200c185c

As usual, these guys get it wrong. He seems to think that making more SS movies is a good idea. Or that diversity casting established characters like Nightwing is a great idea. No, pursuing a SJW agenda for the DCEU is NOT a good idea. SS was a hot mess, making more based on Margot Robie's butt is NOT a good idea. Making good comic book movies that follow the comics somewhat closely and please both fans and those who have no idea who the characters are IS a good idea. In fact, it's what WB has NOT been doing, and why they've failed.

SJW stuff pleases SJWs, especially those working in WB and DC, but very few others. Good movies please most people.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 am

achilles wrote:
As usual, these guys get it wrong. He seems to think that making more SS movies is a good idea. Or that diversity casting established characters like Nightwing is a great idea. No, pursuing a SJW agenda for the DCEU is NOT a good idea. SS was a hot mess, making more based on Margot Robie's butt is NOT a good idea. Making good comic book movies that follow the comics somewhat closely and please both fans and those who have no idea who the characters are IS a good idea. In fact, it's what WB has NOT been doing, and why they've failed.

SJW stuff pleases SJWs, especially those working in WB and DC, but very few others. Good movies please most people.

Get woke, go broke?

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:26 am

RobThompson wrote:Get woke, go broke?

I think it's more that they're doing diversity wrong. And if they devoted half the energy into making good movies as they want to devote to making woke ones, they wouldn't be having any trouble.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:37 am

achilles wrote:
I think it's more that they're doing diversity wrong. And if they devoted half the energy into making good movies as they want to devote to making woke ones, they wouldn't be having any trouble.

Well, I agree in the sense people generally seem to think "diversity" = different physical characteristics.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:13 pm

achilles wrote:

Warner Bros has many problems at this point, the biggest being damage to the DC brand. They have seen movies starring their biggest superheroes come under expectations so why not throw shit at a wall and see what sticks? At this stage, they need to concentrate on smaller productions like The Joker (which nobody cares about but at least if that flops it wont bleed red) but therein lays a new problem. In even their most expensive productions, the CGI looks well, not great in many of the scenes so you can imagine how much worse they will look with a much smaller budget. Either way, all eyes are on Aqua-dude later this year to see if he can pull off a miracle or if like Atlantis, "Aquaman" will sink below the waves.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:21 pm

zryson wrote:
Warner Bros has many problems at this point, the biggest being damage to the DC brand. They have seen movies starring their biggest superheroes come under expectations so why not throw shit at a wall and see what sticks? At this stage, they need to concentrate on smaller productions like The Joker (which nobody cares about but at least if that flops it wont bleed red) but therein lays a new problem. In even their most expensive productions, the CGI looks well, not great in many of the scenes so you can imagine how much worse they will look with a much smaller budget. Either way, all eyes are on Aqua-dude later this year to see if he can pull off a miracle or if like Atlantis, "Aquaman" will sink below the waves.

No, no, no! This is what they're doing, throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks, but that's just it, they're throwing shit.

What they NEED to do is stop, take a breath, and THINK about what they did wrong and WHY it failed. Talk to people who didn't like their movies and find out why. Talk to fans and find out what THEY want, not what WB/DC wants to give them.

Evidently, they don't have a clue what the real world thinks, they live in their own little echo chamber. All they hear is each other, and they all think alike.

After all, they think that SS was a huge hit, that people LOVED Leto's weird-ass Joker, that people want a bunch of Joker movies, and that Harley Quinn's ass is the breakout character for the DCEU. They were convinced that Cyborg was the most popular character DC has, that Miller's Flash was also super popular.

Scintillant-H

#1,984 on Deathstroke's Hit List

Postby Scintillant-H » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 am

achilles wrote:

No, no, no! This is what they're doing, throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks, but that's just it, they're throwing shit.

What they NEED to do is stop, take a breath, and THINK about what they did wrong and WHY it failed. Talk to people who didn't like their movies and find out why. Talk to fans and find out what THEY want, not what WB/DC wants to give them.

Evidently, they don't have a clue what the real world thinks, they live in their own little echo chamber. All they hear is each other, and they all think alike.

After all, they think that SS was a huge hit, that people LOVED Leto's weird-ass Joker, that people want a bunch of Joker movies, and that Harley Quinn's ass is the breakout character for the DCEU. They were convinced that Cyborg was the most popular character DC has, that Miller's Flash was also super popular.

Your post made me cry.
Damned if its not all true, but I try not to think of it in all that detail all at once like that...

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:04 am

Letos joker was the scariest

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:31 am

achilles wrote: Evidently, they don't have a clue what the real world thinks, they live in their own little echo chamber. All they hear is each other, and they all think alike.

This was unintentionally very funny. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook