Friday, September 21, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Shit happens here."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

DC Taking Bold Anti-Nazi Stance With New Freedom Fighters Series

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:36 pm

DC Taking Bold Anti-Nazi Stance With New Freedom Fighters Series

Rob Venditti and Eddy Barrows are leading the charge.



Source: Valnet Inc Presents Comic Book Resources

The leader of the free world believes there are fine people on both sides, but DC Comics is drawing a bold line in the sand saying "fuck that," with the announcement of a new Freedom Fighters series.

Written by Rob Venditti and drawn by Eddy Barrows, the series will see a world where Germany and its allies won World War II and the USA is governed by a Nazi regime.

We're starting our story on November 22, 1963 which is the day of the JFK assassination, you know, in the real world. But JFK was never president here on Earth-X so we're taking that day in Dallas and dealing with the death of a different hope America had – Robert Venditti.

The team will be made up of new versions of Black Condor, The Human Bomb, Doll Woman, and Phantom LadyUncle Sam has gone missing, while Plastic Man has been captured by the Nazis.

Freedom Fighters #1 is set to release in December.













Written or Contributed by Tim Midura




READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
User avatar

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:37 am

I'm so tired of Nazis being used as villains. Can we start using Communists as villains.
User avatar

Belle-Tain Summer

Garbage Collector

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 am

Well it is a good idea to remind people being a Nazi is bad and they are without exception villains and outright scum, especially with them rising back out of the swamp of history to be a threat again, but I have no confidence that DC won't screw this up. Screwing up clear cut issues is what DC does the best.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:42 pm

How are we getting a new Freedom Fighters series but we still don't have an ongoing JSA?!

But yeah, fuck Nazis. They could and probably should be the bad guys in every story.
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Grayson wrote:How are we getting a new Freedom Fighters series but we still don't have an ongoing JSA?!

But yeah, fuck Nazis. They could and probably should be the bad guys in every story.


This. Also, how come we have an older Supergirl series, but no OG Power Girl solo? Shouldn't be that hard to give her an original spin.
User avatar

Flamebird

rubber spoon

Postby Flamebird » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 pm

LOLtron wrote:Rob Venditti and Eddy Barrows are leading the charge.
Source: Valnet Inc Presents Comic Book Resources

The leader of the free world believes there are fine people on both sides, but DC Comics is drawing a bold line in the sand saying "fuck that," with the announcement of a new Freedom Fighters series.Written by Rob Venditti and drawn by Eddy Barrows, the series will see a world where Germany and its allies won World War II and the USA is governed by a Nazi regime.We're starting our story on November 22, 1963 which is the day of the JFK assassination, you know, in the real world. But JFK was never president here on Earth-X so we're taking that day in Dallas and dealing with the death of a different hope America had – Robert Venditti.The team will be made up of new versions of Black Condor, The Human Bomb, Doll Woman, and Phantom Lady. Uncle Sam has gone missing, while Plastic Man has been captured by the Nazis.Freedom Fighters #1 is set to release in December.



Written or Contributed by Tim Midura
READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!



Image

Looks like Doll Man in this, to me. :smt017
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm

LOVE Barrows, really enjoyed Venditti on Hal & the GLC, the Freedom Fighters are usually fun in any iteration, and I like the sound of what he’s got planned here (the PlaSStic Men/new SS idea is inspired). I’m in.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Grayson wrote:How are we getting a new Freedom Fighters series but we still don't have an ongoing JSA?!

But yeah, fuck Nazis. They could and probably should be the bad guys in every story.


Because the JSA and LSH are tied to Doomsday Clock which started out with a year time difference to the main DCU. Once the events for those two teams are unfolded and on-course then I suspect they will be folded into the present.
Similar thing for Powergirl. We've seen random glimpses of her but I would assume she is tied to the JSA.
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:56 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Because the JSA are LSH tied to Doomsday Clock which has started out a year time difference to the main DCU. Once the events for those two teams are unfolded and on-course then I suspect they will be folded into the present.
Similar thing for Powergirl. We've seen random glimpses of her but I would assume she is tied to the JSA.


Assuming she's not eliminated in favor of Tanya Spears. I'm not convinced DC hasn't pulled the plug on her. As for the JSA as a whole, at times, they've been DC's most popular team book, eclipsing the JLA. Why the hell DC didn't lead with them instead of many or their other teams, including more obscure ones, I don't know. It was of course just an editorial decision to tie them and the LSH to the never-ending Doomsday Clock, rather than the JLA or the Titans, or indeed ANY team. I doubt when the payoff comes, that it will be worth the wait, or worth it in terms of the story, such as it is. I don't effing care about Dr. Manhattan or the Watchmen, I do about the JSA. I'd love for DC to get over their fixation with screwing Moore and Gibbons and the fans, and concentrate on the characters and stories that still matter.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:03 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Because the JSA are LSH tied to Doomsday Clock which has started out a year time difference to the main DCU. Once the events for those two teams are unfolded and on-course then I suspect they will be folded into the present.
Similar thing for Powergirl. We've seen random glimpses of her but I would assume she is tied to the JSA.


I feel like I would rather just have a JSA series than Doomsday Clock though.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:22 pm

achilles wrote:
Assuming she's not eliminated in favor of Tanya Spears. I'm not convinced DC hasn't pulled the plug on her. As for the JSA as a whole, at times, they've been DC's most popular team book, eclipsing the JLA. Why the hell DC didn't lead with them instead of many or their other teams, including more obscure ones ..


How could they have pulled the plug on her when, as I said, she has been popping up in pages of random titles and promos like Heroes In Crisis? :smt017
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:39 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
How could they have pulled the plug on her when, as I said, she has been popping up in pages of random titles and promos like Heroes In Crisis? :smt017


Because they have Tanya Spears AKA Power Girl waiting in the wings. Also, they've given SG pretty much everything they might have delegated to Power Girl. And....popping up in random images without saying or doing anything doesn't amount to any promise she's ever going to be allowed to be much. Frankly, she has a lot of promise, because while she has some strong character basics, she's otherwise tabula rosa. She's got no real detailed origin story, just "she's from a Krypton" and is Superman's cousin. She's got no classic stories. No real supporting cast, no real city, no real rogue's gallery, nothing. DC could do something with her to make her distinct from SG but valuable in her own right, but they never have, and they don't seem to care enough to. They act as if SG is all their future, and PG has no role. You never would have seen them put up a diversity Mary Sue replacement for SG, but they have for PG.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:50 pm

Image
User avatar

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Image


I must now go wash my hands again after seeing that. And you must too, after posting that.
User avatar

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm

achilles wrote:You never would have seen them put up a diversity Mary Sue replacement for SG, but they have for PG.


Yeah, they'd definitely never switch her out for a purple alien or anything. :roll: :lol:

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GLX, Punchy and 45 guests