Tuesday, November 20, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Better than Bleeding Cool by that much."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Report Claims Iron Fist And Luke Cage Lost 2/3 Of Viewers Between First And Second Seasons

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:31 pm

The good thing about Netflix is that they are greenlighting a lot of stuff, so we get at least something that's worth watching once in a while. The bad thing is that they cancel a lot of stuff, so that whatever we like has a good chance of getting the axe just when we like it.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 am

They just need to recast the leads...

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Garofani Spruzzo wrote:I don't doubt those numbers much.

Don't forget that Netflix also essentially paid for Star Trek Discovery by paying a high sum for international distribution rights, and season one not only turned out to be the lowest rated Trek ever, they've also had to replace showrunners & writers halfway through filming season 2 & go over budget with re-shoots after test audiences reportedly hated what they saw. And rumors are that Netflix was ready to pull out of distribution for season 2 altogether unless CBS cut them a huge discount.

You mean the least watched Star Trek series ever produced? :wink:

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:54 pm

RobThompson wrote:You mean the least watched Star Trek series ever produced? :wink:

To be fair, it can't help but be the least watched, since you have to pay for CBS All Access (or binge all the episodes during the free trial period) in order to watch it. :P

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Belle-Tain Summer wrote:
They need to be expanded to 20-26 episodes per season, but tell like 18-24 stories over the course of them. Keep on hitting them out, so if one story doesn't land then you've another shot next episode with its story. That is the way to go, one cast but many adventures. And don't worry too much about ongoing arcs or anything like that, keep the continuity and character stuff fairly contained to each episode.

GiveWarAChance wrote:Uhm, no. Save that shit for network TV. That format might work for shows that air one episode a week, but I don't want to binge watch 20+ episodes of villain of the week type of episodes that are hit or miss. That is the exact opposite of why I watch Netflix shows. The biggest problem with the Marvel Netflix shows is the pace. Adding even more episodes isn't going to fix that.

It looks like I'm in the minority that enjoys one ongoing story through the season. I'm looking for less padding and filler.

Frankly, these superhero series should be doing BOTH. Have a done-in-one story as the A-plot, but have a running subplot as a season-long undercurrent, building to the season finale when that subplot is taken care of. This allows you to get a story that feels "full" each time, but convinces you to want to watch each successive episode. Instead of being stuck with just one season-long story that the audience might hate, there's always something else, something NEW going on that might interest them and keep them on-board. But an ongoing storyline also gets the audience interested in and concerned about the progression of the characters over the long-term. Basically, you guys have already nicely pointed out the flaws in doing only one.

Funny, I thought the success of shows like Buffy taught showrunners this lesson long ago! :smt017

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Herald wrote:
To be fair, it can't help but be the least watched, since you have to pay for CBS All Access (or binge all the episodes during the free trial period) in order to watch it. :P

To be fair, they did that to themselves.

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:34 pm

RobThompson wrote:To be fair, they did that to themselves.

Yeah, I don't think it was a good idea, either. They basically traded the near-guaranteed success of a Star Trek series to boost the potential, NOT-guaranteed success of their streaming service.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Herald wrote:
Yeah, I don't think it was a good idea, either. They basically traded the near-guaranteed success of a Star Trek series to boost the potential, NOT-guaranteed success of their streaming service.

I was watching a report on CBS All-Access, and it seems they did not get either a successful series OR an uptick in their subscriptions for the service.

leave a comment with facebook