Tuesday, November 20, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Your boob-window into the world of comics."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Durnkin Reveewz: Heroes in Crisis #2

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:30 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Zechs, WTF were you smoking while you "read" this? Did you actually read it?? Diana didn't catch Hippolyta in "an awkward moment with someone". Diana very clearly states that Hippolyta had been shot with an arrow and the many women around her were pulling out the arrow and treating her wounds. :lol:

And although I risk the wrath of Chap with this next comment :P , I didn't find this unreadable.
It is moving at a snail's pace? Yes.
Are there a lot of answered questions from issue #1 and a few more from this issue? Yes.
Does the Harley vs the Trinity moment take a certain suspension of belief? Yes.
Is the artwork absolutely gorgeous? Yes.
Am I in for the next few issues (at least) to see what's going on here? Yes, definitely.

I will say that I'm thinking this might be another "A.I. gains sentience and attempts to mind-fuck the good guys" plot. And possibly all these deaths are somehow fakes or clones or alternate-Earth versions or some crazy thing.

It's an awkward moment seeing your mom with an arrow in her shoulder and it getting pulled out! Are you telling me it's not at all awkward walking in and suddenly seeing your mom treated with an arrow won?

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:53 pm

She's an amazon. Even at that young age I'm sure she saw injuries before. Wording it as "an awkward moment with someone" sounds more like a romantic/sexual/embarrassing situation.
Diana says that she had a nightmare about a sword piercing her. Then when she went to Hippolyta's room, her mother had been pierced by an arrow. I took that to mean that she somehow thought (from a youngster's perspective) if she went to Hippoyta after having a nightmare, that Hippolyta might also suffer that same fate. :?

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Zechs wrote:
It's an awkward moment seeing your mom with an arrow in her shoulder and it getting pulled out! Are you telling me it's not at all awkward walking in and suddenly seeing your mom treated with an arrow won?

I would be for a saleswoman, but not if my mom was an amazonian archer for example. It wasn't awkward seeing my mom make a sale. When you say it like that it sounds like Diana walked in on her boning

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
I would be for a saleswoman, but not if my mom was an amazonian archer for example. It wasn't awkward seeing my mom make a sale. When you say it like that it sounds like Diana walked in on her boning

So you're both telling me given she's an Amazonian Queen. So--- taking an arrow and walking in on that. That it isn't awkward at all. Okay gotcha.

So um.. one thing. One little thing I want to ask you both. Then why did King write Diana confess like it was then? :smt017

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:15 am

Her confession was from the perspective of a child. This idea came to me a little bit ago. Diana woke up from a nightmare and cried out for mother. She didn't understand why Hippolyta didn't come to her. When she saw why maybe she realized that her cries because of a nightmare were nothing compared to Hippolyta's cries from an agonizing injury. I think that's what she meant when she said after that she chose to bite her lip to stifle her own crying. Just like now she believes that others at Sanctuary are suffering more than she is and need the help more than she does. She deals with her problems on her own so the time that might have been spent on her can be used on others who need and deserve the help more.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Zechs, WTF were you smoking while you "read" this? Did you actually read it?? Diana didn't catch Hippolyta in "an awkward moment with someone". Diana very clearly states that Hippolyta had been shot with an arrow and the many women around her were pulling out the arrow and treating her wounds. :lol:

And although I risk the wrath of Chap with this next comment :P , I didn't find this unreadable.
It is moving at a snail's pace? Yes.
Are there a lot of answered questions from issue #1 and a few more from this issue? Yes.
Does the Harley vs the Trinity moment take a certain suspension of belief? Yes.
Is the artwork absolutely gorgeous? Yes.
Am I in for the next few issues (at least) to see what's going on here? Yes, definitely.

I will say that I'm thinking this might be another "A.I. gains sentience and attempts to mind-fuck the good guys" plot. And possibly all these deaths are somehow fakes or clones or alternate-Earth versions or some crazy thing.

Agreed. I have enjoyed this much more than I expected to.

As far as Harley getting the better of the trinity, that was just an author remembering what Harley's strengths are and leveraging them against her opponent's weaknesses. She is a psychiatrist, after all. She picked a spot, leveraged those weaknesses to her advantage, managed the engagement in order to get her idea planted in their heads, and then got the hell out of there.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 am

I felt the Harley vs Trinity scene was too reminiscent of Deathstroke taking on the entire JL in Identity Crisis.

That doesn't mean it was bad or poorly executed - it's just that it felt like I've read it before.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:13 am

RobThompson wrote:Agreed. I have enjoyed this much more than I expected to.

As far as Harley getting the better of the trinity, that was just an author remembering what Harley's strengths are and leveraging them against her opponent's weaknesses. She is a psychiatrist, after all. She picked a spot, leveraged those weaknesses to her advantage, managed the engagement in order to get her idea planted in their heads, and then got the hell out of there.

I was a bit tired of the whole idea of Batman being able to take on Superman, who is after all basically a god. But at least he was BATMAN, supposedly the best "normal" man in the world, and Miller, who probably did it best, made it nearly impossible for him, requiring a whole host of gadgets and weapons including armor as well as the Kryptonite just to lose closely to Superman. And HE didn't have Wonder Woman standing stupidly by watching.

Now, having Harley pull the ability to beat Batman, long held as one of the top three or so fighters in the DCU, depending on who's doing the writing and what they need to accomplish, out of her butt, and THEN be able to use his Kryptonite against Superman so easily....I'm going to say BS. That's crappy writing, having Harley suddenly be able to do something neither she nor fricking Lady Shiva or any other non high level meta should be able to do is just garbage.

What's Harley going to do next, beat Darkseid? Survive direct hits from his Omega Beams? Beat Doomsday?

I'm still of the view that the whole thing is the Trinity's fault. Had Dick Grayson not have gotten his head problems, and Power Girl not been in the process of not currently existing, King could have used this as an excuse to have someone, (namely the sort of future version of the Trinity that's been shown from time to time consisting of Dick, Donna Troy, and PG filling their respective roles), challenge the current Trinity and call them on their BS, leading to a more interesting story than rehashes of elements of IC and other stories. IMO at least, watching the future fight the past on a number of levels including the physical and ideological would have been more interesting. But, as I said, it can't happen due to those things, and I doubt he would have gone there anyway, married as he is to telling a "real world, relevant" story.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:16 am

achilles wrote:
I was a bit tired of the whole idea of Batman being able to take on Superman, who is after all basically a god. But at least he was BATMAN, supposedly the best "normal" man in the world, and Miller, who probably did it best, made it nearly impossible for him, requiring a whole host of gadgets and weapons including armor as well as the Kryptonite just to lose closely to Superman. And HE didn't have Wonder Woman standing stupidly by watching.

Now, having Harley pull the ability to beat Batman, long held as one of the top three or so fighters in the DCU, depending on who's doing the writing and what they need to accomplish, out of her butt, and THEN be able to use his Kryptonite against Superman so easily....I'm going to say BS. That's crappy writing, having Harley suddenly be able to do something neither she nor fricking Lady Shiva or any other non high level meta should be able to do is just garbage.

What's Harley going to do next, beat Darkseid? Survive direct hits from his Omega Beams? Beat Doomsday?

I'm still of the view that the whole thing is the Trinity's fault. Had Dick Grayson not have gotten his head problems, and Power Girl not been in the process of not currently existing, King could have used this as an excuse to have someone, (namely the sort of future version of the Trinity that's been shown from time to time consisting of Dick, Donna Troy, and PG filling their respective roles), challenge the current Trinity and call them on their BS, leading to a more interesting story than rehashes of elements of IC and other stories. IMO at least, watching the future fight the past on a number of levels including the physical and ideological would have been more interesting. But, as I said, it can't happen due to those things, and I doubt he would have gone there anyway, married as he is to telling a "real world, relevant" story.

You can say BS, but I think you're way off on what actually was portrayed on the page.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:38 am

RobThompson wrote:You can say BS, but I think you're way off on what actually was portrayed on the page.

Buzzkill.... :P

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 pm

All Harley had to do was pull the lead container out of the belt pouch where he told her it was. A seven year old could do that with a few simple advance instructions.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:20 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:All Harley had to do was pull the lead container out of the belt pouch where he told her it was. A seven year old could do that with a few simple advance instructions.

She is clearly able to withstand a Doomsday level hit because she could figure out how to do that. :roll:

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:31 pm

achilles wrote:What's Harley going to do next, beat Darkseid?

Technically, she did just defeat one of his minions over in her ongoing a few months ago.

leave a comment with facebook