Advertisement

Why the dilution of the term "graphic novel" irks me.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Why the dilution of the term "graphic novel" irks

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:37 pm

People I have never seen before come into the shop and point to the book shelves and ask if we sell graphic novels.

What the fuck are they talking about?

My patented response is, "Yes we have graphic novels and bound collections"

Bound collections is a new thing I use because when I refer to trade paperbacks there is always some jackass who is confused by what I am saying or a smartass who goes "but there are hardcovers here, too."

also,
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm

I agree with this post
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Zab

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Zab » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:40 pm

I had a jackass friend who tried explaining to me there is no such thing as graphic novels, they are simply comic books in collected form.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:41 pm

damn those new customers...

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 901 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:42 pm

People who ask for a "graphic novel" are queefeaters.
-

Baskerville Holmes
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:43 pm

chapbook peddler.
[img]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7824/340x.gif[/img]

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Zabardast wrote:I had a jackass friend who tried explaining to me there is no such thing as graphic novels, they are simply comic books in collected form.

:lol:
I like to educate people who are genuinely interested in the distinction, but it can be confounding.

I had a guy that asked me if Watchmen was a graphic novel. I explained to him the difference and told him that in the truest since of the word, no, because it was released as 12 monthly issues. I then showed him Pride of Baghdad and Contract With God and told him why they were gns. I showed him the Watchmen trade and explained the concept of a trade paper back. He then asked me how much the single issues would cost, I told him the last set I sold was for $120, but they generally sell for about twenty dollars a piece. He then looked at the trade, saw it was twenty for the whole shebang and ask if he could purchase it in the graphic novel format. :roll:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:45 pm

The term "bound collections" would confuse me at first too. Call 'em trades and stop trying to be a show off. :P

The rest I agree with.
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

Woody
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Woodrow if you're nasty

Postby Woody » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:damn those new customers...

this.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:damn those new customers...

I like new customers, but they are looking for "graphic novels" and standing at the trade/graphic novel section looking at it and asking me if I have them. It is very confusing.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Benderbrau wrote:The term "bound collections" would confuse me at first too. Call 'em trades and stop trying to be a show off. :P

The rest I agree with.

80% of customers who get told they are "trades" proceed to ask how to trade in comics.

Zab

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Zab » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm

thefourthman wrote::lol:
I like to educate people who are genuinely interested in the distinction, but it can be confounding.

I had a guy that asked me if Watchmen was a graphic novel. I explained to him the difference and told him that in the truest since of the word, no, because it was released as 12 monthly issues. I then showed him Pride of Baghdad and Contract With God and told him why they were gns. I showed him the Watchmen trade and explained the concept of a trade paper back. He then asked me how much the single issues would cost, I told him the last set I sold was for $120, but they generally sell for about twenty dollars a piece. He then looked at the trade, saw it was twenty for the whole shebang and ask if he could purchase it in the graphic novel format. :roll:

:lol:

He was just saying they weren't graphic novels to be a prick, though. That comics can't be novels in any form.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm

cncoyle wrote:People who ask for a "graphic novel" are queefeaters.

agreed.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Zabardast wrote::lol:

He was just saying they weren't graphic novels to be a prick, though. That comics can't be novels in any form.

well that just doesn't make any sense at all. Asterios Polyp and Luna Park are as complex as the toughest novels I have ever read. Essex County is as epic and sweeping as East of Eden. I could go on for days.

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:50 pm

thefourthman wrote:80% of customers who get told they are "trades" proceed to ask how to trade in comics.

So your solution to help already confused customers was to make up your own imaginary term so as to confuse them more? :lol:
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand