Sunday, May 29, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Why the dilution of the term "graphic novel" irks me.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:37 pm

People I have never seen before come into the shop and point to the book shelves and ask if we sell graphic novels.

What the fuck are they talking about?

My patented response is, "Yes we have graphic novels and bound collections"

Bound collections is a new thing I use because when I refer to trade paperbacks there is always some jackass who is confused by what I am saying or a smartass who goes "but there are hardcovers here, too."

also,

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm

I agree with this post

Zab

Postby Zab » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:40 pm

I had a jackass friend who tried explaining to me there is no such thing as graphic novels, they are simply comic books in collected form.

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:41 pm

damn those new customers...

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:42 pm

People who ask for a "graphic novel" are queefeaters.

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:43 pm

chapbook peddler.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Zabardast wrote:I had a jackass friend who tried explaining to me there is no such thing as graphic novels, they are simply comic books in collected form.

:lol:
I like to educate people who are genuinely interested in the distinction, but it can be confounding.

I had a guy that asked me if Watchmen was a graphic novel. I explained to him the difference and told him that in the truest since of the word, no, because it was released as 12 monthly issues. I then showed him Pride of Baghdad and Contract With God and told him why they were gns. I showed him the Watchmen trade and explained the concept of a trade paper back. He then asked me how much the single issues would cost, I told him the last set I sold was for $120, but they generally sell for about twenty dollars a piece. He then looked at the trade, saw it was twenty for the whole shebang and ask if he could purchase it in the graphic novel format. :roll:

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:45 pm

The term "bound collections" would confuse me at first too. Call 'em trades and stop trying to be a show off. :P

The rest I agree with.

Woody

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Woody » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:damn those new customers...

this.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:damn those new customers...

I like new customers, but they are looking for "graphic novels" and standing at the trade/graphic novel section looking at it and asking me if I have them. It is very confusing.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Benderbrau wrote:The term "bound collections" would confuse me at first too. Call 'em trades and stop trying to be a show off. :P

The rest I agree with.

80% of customers who get told they are "trades" proceed to ask how to trade in comics.

Zab

Postby Zab » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm

thefourthman wrote::lol:
I like to educate people who are genuinely interested in the distinction, but it can be confounding.

I had a guy that asked me if Watchmen was a graphic novel. I explained to him the difference and told him that in the truest since of the word, no, because it was released as 12 monthly issues. I then showed him Pride of Baghdad and Contract With God and told him why they were gns. I showed him the Watchmen trade and explained the concept of a trade paper back. He then asked me how much the single issues would cost, I told him the last set I sold was for $120, but they generally sell for about twenty dollars a piece. He then looked at the trade, saw it was twenty for the whole shebang and ask if he could purchase it in the graphic novel format. :roll:

:lol:

He was just saying they weren't graphic novels to be a prick, though. That comics can't be novels in any form.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm

cncoyle wrote:People who ask for a "graphic novel" are queefeaters.

agreed.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Zabardast wrote::lol:

He was just saying they weren't graphic novels to be a prick, though. That comics can't be novels in any form.

well that just doesn't make any sense at all. Asterios Polyp and Luna Park are as complex as the toughest novels I have ever read. Essex County is as epic and sweeping as East of Eden. I could go on for days.

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:50 pm

thefourthman wrote:80% of customers who get told they are "trades" proceed to ask how to trade in comics.

So your solution to help already confused customers was to make up your own imaginary term so as to confuse them more? :lol:

leave a comment with facebook