Advertisement

RUviews #10 - Holiday Special

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 490 posts

RUviews #10 - Holiday Special

Postby GHERU » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:14 am

Hard up on what to ask for from non-comic book readers for the holidays? Trying to find that book that isn't Fables to get that person that you'd think would love comics? Well RU has all of your answers right here in the very first RUview Holiday Special!Reviewed this week: I Kill Giants, Unknown Soldier vol. 1: Haunted House, TMNT Collected Book vol. 1, X Omnibus 1& 2, Hatter M vol. 1 & 2, Tick: The Complete Edlund / Karma Tornado / Big Blue Destiny, Chew: vol. 1; Taster’s Choice, Dark Entries, Mouse Guard Fall 1152 / Winter 1152, Starman Omnibus

as usual, text RUViews are in the spoiler tags below

SPOILERS BELOW

I Kill Giants – AWESOME

Unknown Soldier vol. 1: Haunted House – pretty good, would not mind of the spirit of the Unknown Soldier traveled more, kind of like what I remember of Grendel, but for $10 you really can't go wrong.

TMNT Collected Book vol. 1 – do not get this for any one, due to the Mirage bankruptcy and the purchase of TMNT by Nickelodeon, they will not be making future volumes

X Omnibus 1& 2 – 90s gore-tastic fun

Hatter M vol. 1 & 2 – really great art and story, but make sure they are reading the Looking glass War books as well. All make a great gift for teenager who likes fantasy books

Tick: The Complete Edlund / Karma Tornado / Big Blue Destiny – the first two were really fun reads, Big Blue Destiny – not so much

Chew: vol. 1; Taster’s Choice – holy crap, why did no one tell me about this book!?!?!?

Dark Entries – not only is this a good Hellblazer book, but it highlights how good a B&W book can be. One thing, get it at a discount from a LCS or Amazon, the $20 tag is too much.

Mouse Guard Fall 1152 / Winter 1152 – if you don’t know these books – shame on you

Starman Omnibus – I know that it seems that I rag on DC too much any more, but its just because they used to publish books like this! So far, from what I have read these books work for a non comic book reader as well as, maybe more than, Sandman. After only 4 issues (0-3) I was emotionally attached to this book and its characters, and that is about the highest complement I can give.
Last edited by GHERU on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Advertisement

Mr. Poolman
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Is Always Right

Postby Mr. Poolman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 am

Mouse Guard is one of the small pleasures of life.

I give this book to non-reading friends and they love it.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1190 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:57 am

The great thing about Starman is the way that Robinson uses Golden Age characters in a way that does not at all require the reader to know anything about them. The respect for these characters and their legacy is developed inside the book itself, not demanded of readers with no motivation. The story with Sandman is one of the best things I've ever read.

The bad thing about Starman is it inspired DC to try to pull of the same thing with the Golden Age in so many other books, without the talent of Robinson or the understanding that most of it's readers have never read Golden Age comics, resulting in this sick Golden Age worship that comes off as narcissism.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

YeaSureWhatever
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 1 post

Postby YeaSureWhatever » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:14 pm

why are there Christmas decorations and a Star of David in the background?

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:44 am

RU! Where are you you stupid fuck?!
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand