Advertisement

Ooku

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 205 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Ooku

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am

So, I know this is not the most Manga friendly board, but I have asked several times in different threads to no avail. Maybe I can get an answer this way...

In Edo period Japan, a strange new disease called the Redface Pox has begun to prey on the country's men. Within eighty years of the first outbreak, the male population has fallen by seventy-five percent. Women have taken on all the roles traditionally granted to men, even that of the shogun. The men, precious providers of life, are carefully protected. And the most beautiful of the men are sent to serve in the shogun's Inner Chamber...

Has anyone read this?

It sounds awesome and all of my favorite Manga has been period pieces (with the exception of Urasawa, that is)... so it sounds right up my alley.

However, I am currently reading All My Darling Daughters by the same creator and not digging it at all, it is written well enough, but the art and its multipersonality disorder makes me not like it...

I should probably just check it out, but if the art is the same, I will probably hate it regardless... but I did not like Slam Dunk by Inoue and Vagabond is one of my favorite comics, period, so I am wondering if I should give this one a shot.

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 710 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Re: Ooku

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:So, I know this is not the most Manga friendly board, but I have asked several times in different threads to no avail. Maybe I can get an answer this way...

In Edo period Japan, a strange new disease called the Redface Pox has begun to prey on the country's men. Within eighty years of the first outbreak, the male population has fallen by seventy-five percent. Women have taken on all the roles traditionally granted to men, even that of the shogun. The men, precious providers of life, are carefully protected. And the most beautiful of the men are sent to serve in the shogun's Inner Chamber...

Has anyone read this?

It sounds awesome and all of my favorite Manga has been period pieces (with the exception of Urasawa, that is)... so it sounds right up my alley.

However, I am currently reading All My Darling Daughters by the same creator and not digging it at all, it is written well enough, but the art and its multipersonality disorder makes me not like it...

I should probably just check it out, but if the art is the same, I will probably hate it regardless... but I did not like Slam Dunk by Inoue and Vagabond is one of my favorite comics, period, so I am wondering if I should give this one a shot.

Sorry haven't read it, but I'd say if it sounds interesting to you, try a volume. Heh... at about.com they categorize it as josei.

There are some reviews at amazon (Outhouse won't let me post the link)

Popcultureshock:
http://www.popcultureshock.com/manga/index.php/reviews/manga-reviews/ooku-chambers-vol-1/

and Anime News Nework:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ooku/the-inner-chamber/gn-1

On a side note, when I went to Japan there was an exhibit of Takehiko Inoue's (Vagabond, Slam Dunk) work in a museum next to the aquarium we were visiting. We considered going to the exhibit but it was kind of expensive. I sorta regret it (he is not my favorite artist but is talented).
Last edited by sdsichero on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:06 pm

sdsichero wrote:Sorry haven't read it, but I'd say if it sounds interesting to you, try a volume. Heh... at about.com they categorize it as josei.

There are some reviews at amazon:
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Ôoku-Inner-Chambers-Vol-Ooku/dp/1421527472[/url]

Popcultureshock:
http://www.popcultureshock.com/manga/index.php/reviews/manga-reviews/ooku-chambers-vol-1/

and Anime News Nework:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ooku/the-inner-chamber/gn-1

On a side note, when I went to Japan there was an exhibit of Takehiko Inoue's (Vagabond, Slam Dunk) work in a museum next to the aquarium we were visiting. We considered going to the exhibit but it was kind of expensive. I sorta regret it (he is not my favorite artist but is talented).

Who is your favorite then. Inoue single handedly changed my opinion of decompression in comics.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:06 pm

why are the posts in here invisible?

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:why are the posts in here invisible?

Not sure. For mine, I think it was a long o character in the url from amazon that did it. I eliminated it and it seems to have fixed it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm

sdsichero wrote:Not sure. For mine, I think it was a long o character in the url from amazon that did it. I eliminated it and it seems to have fixed it.

mine was a quote of yours, I brought it to Jude's attention.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 pm

thefourthman wrote:Who is your favorite then. Inoue single handedly changed my opinion of decompression in comics.

Not sure who my favorite favorite is, but I tend to like humor manga rather than serious ones. I guess I have a Japanese sense of humor.

I do like Otomo. Also like Masamune Shirow but that is more for his color texture work. I also like his ideas but admit that some of his illustrative storytelling is not the best. Also love Masashi Tanaka. Akira Toriyama, despite his too similar character designs, is also a very good illustrator.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:So, I know this is not the most Manga friendly board,

Take your pervy manga talk elsewhere you damn dirty hippie! :x

The premise sounds like Y-light, but it could be good, I dunno. I looked around for a preview or scanlation but couldn't find anything. (never a good sign, imo)

You should check your local chain bookstores to see if they have it so you can read some of it without committing.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:19 pm

amlah6 wrote:Take your pervy manga talk elsewhere you damn dirty hippie! :x

The premise sounds like Y-light, but it could be good, I dunno. I looked around for a preview or scanlation but couldn't find anything. (never a good sign, imo)

You should check your local chain bookstores to see if they have it so you can read some of it without committing.

They do, but I have been too preoccupied to bother taking the shrink wrap off one. It is highly regarded, I believe it was even nominated for an Eisner.

Midas
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Midas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:So, I know this is not the most Manga friendly board, but I have asked several times in different threads to no avail. Maybe I can get an answer this way...

Has anyone read this?

I own them but haven't read them yet. Here is Johanna Draper Carlson's review: http://comicsworthreading.com/2009/11/2 ... commended/ She picked it as her second best new manga of the year (between Pluto and 20th Century Boys for what it's worth). It sounds like it picks up in Volume 2.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Wasn't aware of this, but it sounds cool, so I'll look for it. Thanks for the inadvertent heads-up, fourthy.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Don't really read manga, but this does sound good.

I'll wait till the anime comes out. :P

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 pm

So why aren't all you guys posting in the anime & manga thread?! :x

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 pm

sdsichero wrote:So why aren't all you guys posting in the anime & manga thread?! :x

a. I poke my head in there when I do a review.
b. I really don't for the most part try to differentiate the two (western comics and manga) although All My Darling Daughters shows why a lot of Western readers view it differently, there is a flippant attitude towards the otherwise solid characterization that makes it seem like they don't take it seriously. That is why I really dig things like Pluto and Vagabond that seem to overcome that attitude. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy the lite stuff, I am a big fan of Onshinbo, but too much of it can hinder my reading. The typical Shojo and Shojen stuff is just not for me. One Piece was fun for about five volumes and then it got tiresome. Only Astroboy has ever been able to hold my attention for that long and it only did by finding a larger story to be told.

But I will try to post in there more often...

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:52 pm

thefourthman wrote:a. I poke my head in there when I do a review.
b. I really don't for the most part try to differentiate the two (western comics and manga) although All My Darling Daughters shows why a lot of Western readers view it differently, there is a flippant attitude towards the otherwise solid characterization that makes it seem like they don't take it seriously. That is why I really dig things like Pluto and Vagabond that seem to overcome that attitude. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy the lite stuff, I am a big fan of Onshinbo, but too much of it can hinder my reading. The typical Shojo and Shojen stuff is just not for me. One Piece was fun for about five volumes and then it got tiresome. Only Astroboy has ever been able to hold my attention for that long and it only did by finding a larger story to be told.

But I will try to post in there more often...

Good.

Though I don't hate One Piece, we generally don't talk about it much there. It would be good to get some conversation going about different manga/anime then what we (read: Cat and I, mecha stuff) talk about.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand