Advertisement

The First Tabletop Wisdom Article is Here!!!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: not here

The First Tabletop Wisdom Article is Here!!!

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:27 pm

Go here to read "4E Dungeons and Dragons is Released, But is it Worth Playing?" Wisdom000's review of the newest installment of Dungeons & Dragons! Read it now before your boss catches on!!!
Last edited by john lewis hawk on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:33 pm

I get a page that says it doesn't match criteria.
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:35 pm

Fixed now.

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:36 pm

In the 5th, or maybe 4th paragraph, improvement is spelled wrong, just wanted to point that out.
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Nice work, Wis. Of course, I have no idea what you're on about, but still...

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:38 pm

nietoperz wrote:Nice work, Wis. Of course, I have no idea what you're on about, but still...

Same for me.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Re: The First Tabletop Wisdom Article is Here!!!

Postby Nightfly » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 pm

john lewis wrote:But is it Worth Playing?

Just glancing at it (haven't read it yet) I see 18 paragraphs before me.

I'm hoping that if the answer was no you wouldnt've needed that much length to say so.

:)
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Apologies for my pre-read assumptions.
I didn't realize then that your article was covering 2 topics plus the obligatory christening 'hello' every new column must include.

Anyways, good article imo. I agree that they're very stupid to ask their players to rebuy the 3 core books every 3 or so years.

If you ever do an article about the HERO system lemme know and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
The owner of the company and chief author (Steve Long) answers questions daily at the herogames.com message board, fyi.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Excellent article Wis! I haven't gamed in so long, I've probably forgotten how, but to play. High respect for knowing and understanding all the rules to any game system. Even when I was in school and played the most, I never created my own characteres. I just rolled the dice and made up different personallities.

Bacially the more I tried to screw up the adventure, the more fun I had.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Wisdom000 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 pm

starlord wrote:Excellent article Wis! I haven't gamed in so long, I've probably forgotten how, but to play. High respect for knowing and understanding all the rules to any game system. Even when I was in school and played the most, I never created my own characteres. I just rolled the dice and made up different personallities.

Bacially the more I tried to screw up the adventure, the more fun I had.

Thanks, and yeah, the rules are always just a means to have a good time with your friends and make up stories and adventures. Some people the rules are the fun, others can't even remember which die to rool, but as long as everyone is having a good time, that's what matters.
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Nightfly wrote:
If you ever do an article about the HERO system lemme know and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
The owner of the company and chief author (Steve Long) answers questions daily at the herogames.com message board, fyi.

Never played hero, but I do have the core rules, picked it up after Hero and R.talsorian started collaborating for Fuzion........

I know only one thing about the game, and that is you can easily beat someone to death with the main rules..... holy god that book is huge... I dropped it on my foot once, and I haven't walked right since...
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Wisdom000 wrote:Never played hero, but I do have the core rules, picked it up after Hero and R.talsorian started collaborating for Fuzion........

I know only one thing about the game, and that is you can easily beat someone to death with the main rules..... holy god that book is huge... I dropped it on my foot once, and I haven't walked right since...

Yeah, for awhile there was a real effort to make a bridge between Hero & Fuzion, at least in the cyberpunk area.

Hero players are primarily the folks for whom the rules are the fun (in as much as the rules allow you to create & customize literally any power one could think of) - and you really need to know your math on at least a high school level.
I use a spreadsheet when I GM/play just to speed things up. ;-)

The game tries so hard to virtually quantify the real world that they've been questioned by the federal gov't for some of the in-depth research they've done on sensitive (weapons systems) topics for their books.
You can truthfully learn some science from understanding their rules on pretty much any given subject.

Unlike D&D, you really only need the core rules to get your game on; as opposed to a core 3 like D&D.
But... they do also have specialized books for tons of subjects like Martial Artists, Mentalists, Magic, etc that often bring some more rules and variants to your toolbox.

I tend to buy other rpgs and adapt them to Hero which is always easily done since most other systems (including Gurps imo) are simpler overall than Hero.

The cool thing about Hero though, is you can get as much or little detail as your own tastes dictate. In fact, they offer means by which one could play w/out dice or character points. Fun is the goal, and to be honest, I have met Hero GMs that preferred to roll less often than the rules suggest - in fact the dude that introduced me to the system was that way.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Postby Wisdom000 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Nightfly wrote:Yeah, for awhile there was a real effort to make a bridge between Hero & Fuzion, at least in the cyberpunk area.

Hero players are primarily the folks for whom the rules are the fun (in as much as the rules allow you to create & customize literally any power one could think of) - and you really need to know your math on at least a high school level.
I use a spreadsheet when I GM/play just to speed things up. ;-)

The game tries so hard to virtually quantify the real world that they've been questioned by the federal gov't for some of the in-depth research they've done on sensitive (weapons systems) topics for their books.
You can truthfully learn some science from understanding their rules on pretty much any given subject.

Unlike D&D, you really only need the core rules to get your game on; as opposed to a core 3 like D&D.
But... they do also have specialized books for tons of subjects like Martial Artists, Mentalists, Magic, etc that often bring some more rules and variants to your toolbox.

I tend to buy other rpgs and adapt them to Hero which is always easily done since most other systems (including Gurps imo) are simpler overall than Hero.

The cool thing about Hero though, is you can get as much or little detail as your own tastes dictate. In fact, they offer means by which one could play w/out dice or character points. Fun is the goal, and to be honest, I have met Hero GMs that preferred to roll less often than the rules suggest - in fact the dude that introduced me to the system was that way.

Yeah, having a favorite system is the way to go, and if you can easily use that same system for everything, you have a winner...

I will say that the Hero Martial Arts books is one of the prides of my collection, not for the rules, but for when I created the "Master Martial Arts List" for Cyberpunk 2020... once of my more popular articles.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum