Saturday, May 28, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "*the sound you hear when PAC-MAN dies*"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Peeing in Your Shower: Hellboy, Satan and Free Will pt. 2

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:10 am

The second part of my look at Hellboy and Satan can be read here

Enjoy!
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:46 pm

Another example of this duty, in Darkness Calls (which I was reading as I was writing this article), the witches ask Hellboy to be their king, to which he tells them no.

It's not as big as dissing Hell and walking away from destiny, but it's walking away from order, as is Hellboy's leaving the BPRD. I really think this character is the ultimate rebel that Lucifer was in Paradise Lost.
User avatar

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:40 am

Nice job once again, Keb!

Something to consider, though...

Do you think Hellboy rebelling against Hell is because he really cares about people on Earth, rather than merely just being a rebel?

I think that may also play into why he left the BPRD. He knows his destiny is to destroy the Earth, so perhaps leaving his friends is his way of trying to protect them.

Just a thought I had.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:53 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Nice job once again, Keb!

Something to consider, though...

Do you think Hellboy rebelling against Hell is because he really cares about people on Earth, rather than merely just being a rebel?

I think that may also play into why he left the BPRD. He knows his destiny is to destroy the Earth, so perhaps leaving his friends is his way of trying to protect them.

Just a thought I had.
I'd say the former. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't want to destroy the world because he's been taught otherwise by Bruttenholm. I think his leaving the bprd stems from them putting a detonator in Roger, and his not agreeing with them. Plus he wants to "find himself".

It's kind of hard to put a finger on whether or not it's that he cares about Earth. I take it that Hellboy was taught that he doesn't have to be evil, and can do good things and be his own person, which is why he does what he does. I'll have to re-read the series again and look into it.
User avatar

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:36 am

Another great article. Now I really want to read Paradise Lost.

And I agree that Hellboy left the BPRD because he's fed up with how it's run and how they treat their employees.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:20 pm

D wrote:Another great article. Now I really want to read Paradise Lost.

And I agree that Hellboy left the BPRD because he's fed up with how it's run and how they treat their employees.


Thanks. You'll be bored to tears though...

Isn't his reasoning that if they do it to Roger, they'd also do it to him, and since he's supposed to be the key of the apocalypse he can't trust them?

I should start reading the series again...
User avatar

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Keb Ellis wrote: Thanks. You'll be bored to tears though...
Aw, damn. I figured that, which is why I have avoided it for so long. But you made it sound interesting.

Keb Ellis wrote: Isn't his reasoning that if they do it to Roger, they'd also do it to him, and since he's supposed to be the key of the apocalypse he can't trust them?

I should start reading the series again...
Hellboy definitely left because he doesn't trust Tom, but I'm not sure if he was afraid they'd do the same to him. I'm not sure if Hellboy is afraid of anything besides living up to his destiny.
User avatar

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm finally catching up on all the BPRD trades. The first two were ok, but so far the 3rd one, Plague of Frogs is really good. I wish Hellboy was around.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:22 pm

D wrote:I'm finally catching up on all the BPRD trades. The first two were ok, but so far the 3rd one, Plague of Frogs is really good. I wish Hellboy was around.
Sorry sorry, I was all set to respond to your post and then I had to leave...

Anyway, yeah read Paradise Lost if you like epics. I've only ever read books 1, 4 and 9. Those were studied in terms of the biblical epic, and then I read book 1 in terms of the liberal capitalism. It's nowhere near a fun read or anything though.

I just ordered the last four BPRD trades. Plague of Frogs was a lot of fun. The art is great, and I was skeptical about it (not a huge Guy Davis fan) but it was good. The fourth volume is really cool, especially if you like Johann.

I hope all this leads up to a Hellboy & the BPRD mini or something. I'd like to see Hellboy and Abe kick it one last time.
User avatar

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 pm

sorry it took me so long to read this, but it was well worth it. You've actually got me wanting to read Hellboy now.

Excellent piece, Keb. Top Notch! :D
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:12 am

starlord wrote:sorry it took me so long to read this, but it was well worth it. You've actually got me wanting to read Hellboy now.

Excellent piece, Keb. Top Notch! :D
So what are you waiting for? :P
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:43 am

Keb did you read the Ectoplasmic Man one shot? Read it last night and it was pretty good.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:25 pm

No? What's that? What's that Amazing Screw-on Head thing?
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Keb Ellis wrote:No? What's that? What's that Amazing Screw-on Head thing?


No it's a Johann Kraus one shot that they came out with for the movie. The go into detail on his origin.
User avatar

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:23 pm

I was just reading Vol 6 Strange Places and Sir Edward's dialogue made me think of this thread. I don't know the names of all the characters, but it went like this.

What do you say, Sir Edward?
Regarding Hellboy I say what I have always said. His story is not yet written.
It is!
Then he is rewriting it. Whatever path was chosen for him, he left it years ago. Now he is trying to find his own way, and only time will tell.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nickmarino, Spacedog, SporkBot, Stephen Day, Yahoo [Bot] and 76 guests