Nightfly highlights his favorite TV programs and movie posters from the week of 11/11.
Not unpredictably, since relaunching this weekly column I've increased my number of programs watched in each category in an effort to cover as many shows as possible. Last week my hours watched total grew to a new 2012 high of fifty-five hours, with hour-long dramas encompassing twenty-nine of that fifty-five. FOX dramas claimed the top two spots on my Hour-Long Dramas list as well as the no.1 slot among that list's runner-ups, and, though FOX also shows up more than any other net on my Outstanding Sitcoms list that category's top honor goes to NBC for one of 30 Rock's finale season episodes. Just two Teen Sitcoms aired last week from my watch list and both of those came care of Disney. The Science Channel's 10yr Anniversary special celebrating Joss Whedon's Firefly snagged my no.1 Reality Show spot in a week BBC-America scored two slots in that primetime section.
Due to this column's lateness I've chosen not to delay it further by hunting up trailers from which to pick a favorite, but I am featuring links to many more film posters than usual. Just in case you're curious, the tardiness of this column was primarily caused by the multiple days worth of work I put into transcribing and assembling my Q&A regarding Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (you can check it out here). If all goes to plan I expect my next TV Week in Review column to publish either Sunday evening or early Monday.
Another OH! project I've been attending to is the daily primetime TV polls which are now entering a second week of publication on our front page. Please consider participating by registering your votes each day for the programs you're watching. The Outhouse and I are sincerely interested in learning what our readership watches.
Now, without further ado, my preferred primetime programming from the week beginning 11/11/2012...
Hour-Long Scripted Dramas -
7. Arrow - "Legacies" (CW)
6. Hawaii Five-O - "I Ka Wa Mamua" (CBS)
5. Boardwalk Empire - "The Milkmaid's Lot" (HBO)
4. Dexter - "Chemistry" (SHO)
3. The Walking Dead - "Say the Word" (AMC)
2. Glee - "Glease" (FOX)
1. Bones - "The Patriot in Purgatory" (FOX)
1. The Mob Doctor - "Complications" (FOX)
2. Hart of Dixie - "I Walk the Line" (CW)
3. Person of Interest - "Critical" (CBS)
4. Homeland - "The Clearing" (SHO)
5. Castle - "Swan Song" (ABC)
6. Grey's Anatomy - "Second Opinion" (ABC)
Outstanding Sitcoms -
5. 2 Broke Girls - "And the Candy Manwich" (CBS)
4. Ben and Kate - "Career Day" (FOX)
3. New Girl - "Menzies" (FOX)
2. Don't the B---- in Apt. 23 - "Sexy People" (ABC)
1. 30 Rock - "Aunt Phatso vs. Jack Donaghy" (NBC)
1. Raising Hope - "What Up, Bro?" (FOX)
2. Parks and Recreation - "Leslie vs. April" (NBC)
3. Modern Family - "Mistery Date" (ABC)
Favorite Guest Star of the Week:
Megan Fox on Wedding Band (TBS)
Carla Gugino on New Girl (FOX)
Annabeth Gish on Once Upon a Time (ABC)
Sydney Tamiia Poitier on Hawaii Five-O (CBS)
Richard Roundtree on Private Practice (ABC)
Teen Sitcoms -
2. Shake It Up - "Lock It Up" (Disney)
1. Austin & Ally - "Crybabies & Cologne" (Disney)
Reality Shows -
7. BrandX with Russell Brand - "Ep.12" (FX)
6. The Voice - "Live Top 12 Performances" (NBC)
5. Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura - "Death Ray" (truTV)
4. Richard Hammond's Crash Course - "IndyCar Pit Crew" (BBC-America)
3. Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team 7 - "Susan G. Komen Halftime Show" (CMT)
2. Top Gear - "50 Years of Bond Cars" (BBC-America)
1. Firefly 10th Anniversary: Browncoats Unite (Sci)
Thanks to following MovieWeb.com (on twitter) I learned of new posters for no less than fifteen upcoming films. My favorite two came from both Gangster Squad (opening Jan. 11th) and The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (premiering next August). Beyond those two, click on the following titles to find one-sheets for these movies coming to a theater near you soon; Movie 43, Django Unchained, Oz: The Great and Powerful, Olympus Has Fallen, Warm Bodies, Beautiful Creatures, This Is 40, Admission, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Stand, Identity Thief, a new second poster for Stephenie Meyer's The Host, Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem, and, in addition to the Emma Stone one-sheet from Gangster Squad see eight other character portrait posters from that film here.
I've decided to use a different poll for this column which will allow you to add your own favorite drama from last week if it's not one of my Top 7. Please vote in the poll to let your opinion be known. Until next time, Be Well, Have a Great Week and Happy Viewing!