New writer Jim Starlin calls it a 'revamp of a revamp'
Starting with issue #19 Jim Starlin takes over as Writer and Yvel Guiceht takes over as Penciller. And plenty will be changing.
Starlin remains coy about the specifics for now as he doesn't want to spoil anything yet but he does give a few teases on what readers can look forward to.
Right from the first few pages of issue #19 things start changing for Stormwatch. Everything you know about the series, up until that point, is altered: new outfits, characters, villains. The only thing that stays the same is Stormwatch's mission. They're there to protect Earth.
Apollo and Midnighter return to their old, Bryan Hitch-designed outfits .. just because Yvel and I liked those costumes better. Maybe that's why folks are thinking the series is like the Authority. But it's not.
DC editorial pretty universally thought Stormwatch wasn't working out. Everyone involved seemed to be giving it their all but the pieces just didn't seem to be fitting together properly. So Dan asked me to come in and do some retooling.
Also coming up:
- Stormwatch is a clandestine outfit, a top-secret organization. Its connection to the rest of the new DC Universe was tenuous and minimal, at best, with the old Stormwatch.
- Stormwatch #19 makes those connections even less relevant as something happens to the DC Universe in this issue that changes Stormwatch and everything else. But these alterations in reality are localized and chiefly affect Stormwatch and those directly connected to Stormwatch.It's complicated and will probably take a dozen issues or so to thoroughly sort out the changes taking place.
- "The Weird " will be a new character based on a character that Starlin and Bernie Wrightson created for DC years ago. He's a revamp. His origin will be very similar to the old Weird's but also subtly different. His role in Stormwatch will be a marked departure in what the character is all about.
- Another new character, Jenny Soul, is a new version of Jenny Sparks/Quantum. She's the odd man/teenage girl out in this group of very unconventional and flawed characters. Big plans for her.
- Apollo, Midnighter and the Engineer are basically what the reader already knows, only how they got to where they are has changed.
- The team is headed up by a new mystery character called Storm Control. He's assisted in this work by an alien code-named The Forecaster and a new and more complex version of Hellstrike, who's the Away Team's leader.
Stormwatch #19 goes on sale April 3, 2013