Senior TV Columnist Nightfly lists his preferred picks from the previous week of primetime programming.
TV Week in Review (week of 7/17/11)
Back after a three week absence, my WiR column returns with network dominance asserted by TNT, TV Land, and most surprisingly, Bio. Unsurprisingly, True Blood maintains its grip on my (most honored) Top of the List slot for another week, while Hot in Cleveland reigns supreme again in the Summer Sitcoms category for a third week-in-a-row. On the subject of hot streaks, Oxygen's The Glee Project continues its unbroken record of never having not made my column (but for the weeks I didn't publish one). Leverage, Warehouse 13, and The Closer return to my WiR after months away. Supah Ninjas and the premiere of Lisa Kudrow's Web Therapy make my Summer Sitcoms list for the very first time each. Another historic first comes via William Shatner's reality interview show, Aftermath With William Shatner propelling the Bio channel to the Top of my Reality list for the first time since I began my column.
Beyond tonight's premieres (7/24) of Entourage and Top Gear: USA, don't miss the premiere of Project Runway's ninth season this Thursday (7/28), and the debut of critically acclaimed comedy series Outnumbered premiering on BBC-America next Saturday (7/30).
Now onto my favorite picks from last week's primetime offerings...
* Warning: videos below often contain spoilers and/or mature content not suitable for all ages *
7. The Nine Lives of Chloe King - "Nothing Compares 2 U" (ABC-FAM)
6. Switched at Birth - "The Stag Hunt" (ABC-FAM)
5. The Closer - "Repeat Offender" (TNT)
4. Warehouse 13 - "Trials" (Syfy)
* Checked out W13's first 10 webisodes yet? Watch 'em here.
3. Falling Skies - "Sanctuary Pt.1" (TNT)
2. Leverage - "The Van Gogh Job" (TNT)
July 17th (23min) Web Chat video interview with Aldis Hodge & Beth Riesgraf.
1. True Blood - "I'm Alive and on Fire" (HBO)
Guest Star of the Week: Danny Glover on Leverage (TNT)
Danny Glover & Beth Riesgraf in "The Van Gogh Job"
Demi Lovato - "Skyscraper"
Listen to the beautiful Spanish language version "Rascacielo" here.
* Bonus Video: Victoria Justice & Cast of Victorious - "I Want You Back" (Walmart Soundcheck)
Trivia Question of the Week: Spencer Treat Clark was a featured guest star in last week's The Closer. He previously co-starred in epic films directed by both Ridley Scott & M. Night Shyamalan, respectively... name either epic film to earn a Trivia Medal. [answered]
Current Medal Standing:
~ Last week's answer: Shake It Up (Winner: GLX)
* Summer Sitcoms *
5. Happily Divorced - "I Wanna Be Alone" (TVLND)
4. State of Georgia - "The Mole" (ABC-FAM)
3. Supah Ninjas - "X" (nick)
2. Web Therapy - "Click to Start" (SHO)
1. Hot in Cleveland - "Dancing Queens" (TVLND)
7. Platinum Hit - "Kiss the Flame" (Bravo)
* Watch Brian Judah's emotional exit video (above).
6. Ice Loves Coco - "Baby Got Family" (E!)
Coco & Ice-T on Ice Loves Coco
5. The Glee Project - "Pairability" (OXGN)
Cameron Mitchell & Lindsay Pearce perform "Baby, It's Cold Outside"
4. Whale Wars - "Enemy in Their Grasp" (ANIMP)
* The Making of Whale Wars: The Idea web series (above). Watch chapters two & three here.
3. Through the Wormhole - "Can We Travel Faster Than Light?" (Sci)
2. Celebrity Close Calls - "Lou Diamond Phillips; Brooke Burns; Parker Stevenson" (BIO)
Lou Diamond Phillips, Emilio Estevez & Beau Bridges
1. Aftermath with William Shatner - "The Pentagon Papers: Daniel Ellsberg" (BIO)
I watched thirty-eight hours of primetime TV this past week, yet still managed to miss a handful of reality shows I'd hoped to catch. From all I did see the hour-long scripted series just missing my main list were Rookie Blue, Teen Wolf, the series finale of Love Bites, Alphas, and Torchwood: Miracle Day. The Looney Tunes Show was the only sitcom I saw that barely missed my Summer Sitcoms list, and rounding out the complete list of every reality show seen is Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape, the season finale of The World Acccording to Paris, Secrets From a Stylist, Rocco's Dinner Party & HGTV Design Star - all riding the Reality Shows bench. Notable guest stars that competing strongly for my Guest Star of the Week honor included Felicia Day (for Eureka) & Doris Roberts (for Hot in Cleveland).
A full list of all the shows I watched this week for this WiR can be found here.
Fans of the Outhouse surely don't need me to tell 'em what movie just came out this SDCC weekend, but in case you weren't aware, here's the official trailer for Marvel's Captain America: The First Avenger.
Summer's 'dog days' are just a week away now, so stay cool 'n hydrated... Be Well & Happy Viewing!
Written or Contributed by: Nightfly
Comment without an Outhouse Account using Facebook
Note: while you are welcome to speak your mind freely on any topic, we do ask that you keep discussion civil between each other. Nasty personal attacks against other commenters is strongly discouraged. Thanks!
About the Author - Nightfly
A proud member of NBCUniversal's and A+E Television Networks’ Digital Media Teams, Nightfly routinely interviews producers, creators and stars of various network programs and films with a concentrated emphasis on the Syfy channel. Formally educated in Communications, Computer Science and Music, his résumé reflects more than a decade broadcasting in the fields of television and radio. With pieces routinely published at ScreenFad and Press Pass L.A., his primary areas of interest include TV, film, music, web series, comic books, fashion, pen 'n paper RPG gaming as well as various other pop-culture topics. An avid Twitter user, Nightfly supports the arts, the entertainment community, numerous charities and crowdfunding projects through his journalistic netizenship and non-partisan, multicultural-centric activism.
More articles from Nightfly