When you come across a video game kickstarter you love -- jump in. It's essentially a chance to pre-order a game for half price, which is the case one again with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Plus, if you are willing to invest more, there are plenty of bonuses to go around like getting beta or alpha access, future DLC reserved, a hand-crafted sword even. But more importantly, backing a kickstarter like this is a chance to help a game get made that most major studios won't take a chance on as they churn out the next installments of their franchises.
Warhorse Studios is trying to offer a different kind of RPG than what you normally see, however. They plan to focus on quality over quantity, no grinding away by killing rats in someone's basement or going through the same cookie-cutter dungeons. You won't find elves, dragons and wizards in their game, as it focuses instead of creating a realistic medieval world.
So what is Kingdom Come: Deliverance? Think of it as Braveheart: The Game. Majestic castles, armored knights, large, open field battles, and political intrigue set in a vast, emergent world. We want to make the experience as authentic as possible – real-world locations, real castles that don’t look like something from Disneyland, period-accurate armors and costumes, combat and fencing systems designed in collaboration with the most knowledgeable, skillful swordsmen around, and a story based on actual, historic events.
We’re mixing the freedom and mechanics of Skyrim, the setting of Mount and Blade, the storytelling styles of The Witcher and Red Dead Redemption, and the tough combat dynamics of Dark Souls into a single, gorgeous package.
Set in historical Europe in the 15th century and based on historical events, a civil war has erupted and out of that war the son of a simple blacksmith will rise to protect his people and land. But they warn, this is no fairytale, you are not the chosen one. It will be hard and dirty work to get the job done.
Here's a breakdown of some of the features they plan to offer:
- Non-linear story lets you choose between being a villain or a savior. Every quest can be solved in multiple ways.
- A revolutionary combat systembased on inverse kinematics, the only one of its kind to offer a rich, authentic yet easy-to-control, first-person melee experience. Based on actual 15th century fighting techniques and designed in cooperation with medieval martial arts experts.
- Improve your character. Different play styles - warrior, rogue or bard - can be mixed and matched as you see fit. You can develop your skills, earn new perks, and fine-tune your equipment.
- Large realistic, medieval-themed, open world landscape covering 3.5 square miles and 30 hours of gameplay (in first act, out of 3 total).
- Lead the charge in enormous, open field battles and sieges. You are no superhero. If you’re going to take on an army of enemies, you better find one of your own to back you up.
- Take a trip through the Middle Ages: Traverse sprawling cities, magnificent castles, towering, dark forests, and muck-strewn villages.
- Discover this huge world from horseback or on foot. If you can see it, you can visit it.
- A dynamic world comes alive. Every inhabitant plays a role in their communities, and as night follows day, you can watch people work, help them when needed, or try to interfere in their routine and see what happens.
- Build relationships with characters, become a criminal or a local hero, seduce local women, threaten your enemies or pardon vanquished opponents.
- Create your own weapons, cook, brew up potions, or dig around for silver. All crafting occurs in-game, using clever mini-games, rather than boring, soulless menus.
They plan to release Kingdom Come: Deliverance on PC, Mac, Linux, & on XBox One and PS4 if approved by console makers.
You Might Also Like:
Comment without an Outhouse Account using Facebook
Note: while you are welcome to speak your mind freely on any topic, we do ask that you keep discussion civil between each other. Nasty personal attacks against other commenters are not welcome here. Thanks!