At their AXIS panel at San Diego Comic Con, Marvel announced a new graphic novel from the Uncanny X-Force team of Rick Remender, Jerome Opena, and Dean White. Called Avengers: Rage of Ultron, the book will be in stores right before Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters, and... wait for it now, because you'll never see this coming... it will change Ultron's status quo forever!
"I wanted to do something that stays true to ['The Great One' Brian] Bendis's original Age of Ultron story, but with Wolverine dead for anywhere from one to six months, I wasn't sure he'd be available to defy the wishes of his teammates and unilaterally make the decision to screw with the timestream and murder a founding Avenger," Remender told congoers at the panel. "So instead, I plan to just stuff this thing full of ham-fisted, 8th grade level political metaphors and tell anyone who complains to drown in a vat of hobo piss."
Popular shameless hit-farm website and employer of weenies Comicbook.com has an exclusive interview with Remender and Opena, but we don't want you to get web herpes by going there, so we'll give you the bullet points:
- Remender and Opena love each other very much.
- Remender originally wanted to call the book The EVILution of Ultron, but he didn't want to get sued by Marilyn Mason for stealing his song titles. Marvel Senior Vice President of Publishing and Fried Turkey Drumsticks Tom Brevoort suggested Rage of Ultron instead.
- The book will explore the relationship between Ultron and Hank Pym, because that's never been done before, and, in fact, Remender never just rehashes components of older stories for his Marvel work. It will also explore Pym's relationship with The Vision, also groundbreaking.
- The story will have ramifications for the Marvel Universe as a whole, or, in other words, will lead into a fucking crossover at some point.
- Remender kept comparing the story to The Killing Joke and Barbara Gordon becoming Oracle, and since Remender isn't that great at subtlety, we can take this literally and assume someone will be paralyzed, possibly by a clown-themed supervillain, and take on a new role as superhero activities coordinator from a wheelchair.
- Ultron will set up shop on Saturn's moon, and Starfox will play a big role in the story, because fans have been clamoring for more Starfox for years. No, wait, we got that wrong, actually no one gives a fuck about Starfox. Sorry.
Look for this book in Spring 2015. Here's a preview image ripped off from Comicbook.com. An astute reader might note that, while Captain America's ear is colored so that he appears to be black, he is wearing the original Captain America costume, and you don't see his face. Make of that what you will.
The Outhouse is sponsored by Cinema Crazed: Celebrating Film Culture & Pop Culture.
You Might Also Like:
Update on Hospitalized SDCC Cosplayer: Injuries not from Assault, 29 Year Old Man Still Charged With Sexual Contact with Minor
San Diego Harbor Police Have Arrested a Man in Connection to the Underage Cosplayer Reportedly Found Bloody and Unconscious in San Diego After Comic Con (UPDATED)
Comment without an Outhouse Account using Facebook
Note: while you are welcome to speak your mind freely on any topic, we do ask that you keep discussion civil between each other. Nasty personal attacks against other commenters is strongly discouraged. Thanks!
About the Author - Jude Terror
Jude Terror is the Webmaster Supreme of The Outhouse and a sarcastic ace reporter dedicated to delivering irreverent comics and entertainment news to The Outhouse's dozens of loyal readers. Driven by a quest for vengeance, Jude Terror taught himself to program and joined The Outhouse. He instantly began working toward his goal of forcing the internet comics community to take itself less seriously and failing miserably. Ironically, our webmaster, whose website skills know no end, has very little understanding of social networks or how they work. Regardless, you can find him on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr, but would probably have the most luck just emailing him.
More articles from Jude Terror