Star Wars: Episode IX's production appeared to hit a snag last week when Lucasfilm announced that then director Colin Trevorrow had exited due to differing "visions". There was a bunch of speculation on who might take Trevorrow's place in the production, which included Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson, who once said he'd do another Star Wars "in a heartbeat". Johnson debunked that speculation over the weekend though.
Well, as Yoda said, "there is another". That is, another director who would return to the franchise, and that person is the one that helped to launch this trilogy of the Star Wars Saga with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: J.J. Abrams. Yes, Abrams will be back to direct and co-write (with Chris Terrio) the final episode of trilogy.
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy had this to say about Abrams' return:
"With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy"
Star Wars: Episode IX lands in theaters May 24, 2019.