After The Outhouse's exposé revealing Valiant's over-nomination during 2016's Harvey Awards, Baltimore Comic Con dropped the awards show like a bad habit. Shortly thereafter BCC announced the Ringo Awards in their place.
But the Harveys were merely buying their time until people forgot the ballot-stuffing. They've announced all new categories and a new nomination and voting procedure.
New for the 30th Anniversary, nominees for this year's awards will be selected by a handpicked committee of diverse industry voices and voted on by eligible industry professionals. Utilizing ReedPOP's extensive network of comic and industry professionals, attendees who have been previously approved for a Pro Badge or Artist Alley Badge at a 2016, 2017 or 2018 ReedPOP comic convention (New York Comic Con, Emerald City Comic Con, C2E2) are automatically eligible to cast their ballot. Nominees will be announced and voting will begin on August 1st. Voting will conclude on August 23rd.
ReedPOP will host an event on Saturday, October 6th to present this year's awards and honor the life and work of Harvey Kurtzman.
The Harveys new categories include:
- Book of the Year: Best long-form graphic novel or collection that demonstrating excellence in writing, art or cartooning showcasing great representation of the form.
- Digital Book of the Year: Best comic or collection originally presented in a digital format
- Best Children or Young Adult Book: Best long-form original graphic novel or collection presented for younger audiences
- Best Adaptation from Comic Book/Graphic Novel: Best adaptation to another medium of a work originally presented as a graphic novel, trade collection or comic book
- Best Manga: Best single manga of the year translated in to English
- Best European Book: Best European material translated in to English
They will also present special awards:
- Harvey Kurtzman Award for Humor: Special Award for satire in comic books, graphic novels, comic strips (digital or print) that embodies the spirit of Harvey Kurtzman.
Harvey Hall of Fame Award: Honoring creators who have had a distinguished career or impact on the medium for over two decades.
- International Spotlight Award: Presented to a creator whose work originates outside the United States that has had an impact on the medium.