In the days since director James Gunn was fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, many new things have come to light. Namely #1 being that the man who unearthed all the tweets Gunn made, Mike Cernovich, is a conservative nutcase who has his own share of tweets that are equally appalling but are so not him joking, which Gunn at least was. Just a reminder that these tweets were found out several years ago, and Gunn himself apologized for them. Cernovich? Not so much...
The other is that many celebrities have come to denounce his firings. The biggest name is Dave Bautista, who co-starred in Gunn's Guardian of the Galaxy films. Here's what he had to say via Twitter (of course):
I will have more to say but for right now all I will say is this..@JamesGunn is one of the most loving,caring,good natured people I have ever met. He’s gentle and kind and cares deeply for people and animals. He’s made mistakes. We all have. Im NOT ok with what’s happening to him— Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) July 21, 2018
Then there's Gunn's old employer, Lloyd Kaufman from Troma Pictures who made this video on the matter:
Please sing it to the World!! JAMES GUNN IS THE KINDEST, MOST GENEROUS, DECENT,LOYAL & TALENTED PERSON I KNOW ! HE DESERVES ALL OF OUR SUPPORT DURING THIS HORRIBLE AND DIFFICULT TIME! I hope @JamesGunn will continue to make brilliant entertaining movies! @Troma_Team Pls SHARE pic.twitter.com/5QZ9vxrkV0— Lloyd Kaufman (@lloydkaufman) July 22, 2018
Another Guardian's co-star, and Gunn's own brother, Sean, even talked at length on the matter as well on Twitter:
2. Since he was a kid, it was clear he had a desire (maybe destiny) to be an artist, tell stories, find his voice through comics, films, his band. The struggle to find that voice was sometimes clunky, misguided, or downright stupid, and sometimes wonderful, moving, and hilarious.— Sean Gunn (@seangunn) July 21, 2018
4. I saw firsthand as he went from worrying about "softening his edge" for a larger audience to realizing that his "edge" wasn't as useful of a tool as he thought it was. That his gift for storytelling was something better.— Sean Gunn (@seangunn) July 21, 2018
6. In many respects this change in my brother was reflected in the change that the Guardians go through. I've heard my brother say many times that when Quill rallies the team with "this is our chance to give a shit"--to care--that it's the pep talk he himself needed to hear.— Sean Gunn (@seangunn) July 21, 2018
8. This isn't new information, by the way. It's all stuff that James has explained many times in interviews, in more detail and more eloquently. It's not some new spin. It's always been part of the story.— Sean Gunn (@seangunn) July 21, 2018
10. Working on those movies made my brother a better person, and they made me one too. I'm proud of that. Peace.— Sean Gunn (@seangunn) July 21, 2018
Surprisingly the other most vocal celebrity is Selma Blair, who's taken up a few tweets on the issue. She was the first to respond to Batista's comments and then has followed up on them quite a bit.
I stand by the very decent man @JamesGunn is today. He is a wonderful example of a man committed to owning past discretions and being a stand up person, to say the least.— Selma Blair (@SelmaBlair) July 21, 2018
@JamesGunn I thank you for your talent, your decency and your evolution as a man. You propped me up when I was in a scary place, and guided me towards the decent and right thing to do. You have shown strength of character more than most anyone I know. You understood https://t.co/9kSf8Z1dP1— Selma Blair (@SelmaBlair) July 22, 2018
Marvel: RE-HIRE JAMES GUNN - Sign the Petition! https://t.co/JeVbFZkQLL via @Change. Because if people are punished despite changing, then what does that teach people about owning mistakes and evolving? This man is one of the good ones.— Selma Blair (@SelmaBlair) July 22, 2018
The petition to which Blair is talking about in the last tweet is one from Change.Org, that as of this moment has over 106,000 people signed for Gunn to be rehired by Disney. Will it happen? Probably not. Still, if anything else on this front develops, or more news develops we'll keep you up to date on it.