A look at Batman news straight from SDCC.
Here's some highlights from DC's Batman: Beyond Night of the Owls panel, straight from SDCC. Thanks to Newsarama, who helped to suppliment this report.
- Scott Snyder opened the panel up by implying that Batman could beat both the Avengers and the X-Men. No word on how much prep time was needed.
- Snyder and James Tynion IV spoke about the origins of Talon, the new Night of the Owls spinoff. Snyder stated that he was skeptical about the idea of a spinoff until Tynion pitched him the series. Snyder, a former teacher of Tynion, will be co-plotting the series.
- DC gave out Owl masks to the crowd. Expect those to hit eBay on Monday.
- Snyder confirmed that he worked with Tony Daniel to coordinate the Joker's face being cut off in Detective Comics #1 and that it had always been planned for Snyder to follow up with it in Batman.
- Snyder stated that the upcoming Joker story was an examination of what made the Joker such a unique villain. He notes that Joker will be punishing the Batman for "forgetting" about him and will be going after the entire Bat-Family. He also states that the Joker story will be the "biggest, craziest and most twisted story we could possibly do."
- Nightwing #0 will focus on Dick Grayson's decision to become Robin. Then, Nightwing #13 will introduce Lady Shiva to the New 52.
- Ed Benes will be joining Batgirl as the regular artist starting with issue #13.
- Batman: The Dark Knight #0 will focus on Joe Chill.
- Wonder Woman will be present throughout the entire second arc of Batwoman, not just one issue.
- John Layman's Detective Comics run will feature mainly single issue stories and cases. He's both "thrilled and terrified" to write Batman.
- The first story arc in Detective Comics will feature Penguin. Layman notes, however, that it's not entirely a Penguin story.
Written or Contributed by: ThanosCopter