Highlights from NYCC's DC All Access: Batman panel.
Here are some highlights from the All Access: Batman Panel at NYCC that took place on Friday. Bobbie Chase, Mike Marts, Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Tony Daniel, David Finch, Kyle Higgins, Peter Tomasi, Chris Burnham, and Lee Bermejo attended the panel.
- Batman will focus on Gotham City's history and the Court of Owls. A large part of the story will focus on Batman's reluctance to believe in the Court of Owls and his past history with the group as well as whether the city belongs to the Owl or the Bat.
- Detective Comics, meanwhile, will focus on shorter stories and a samller cast. More new villains such as the Jack in the Box will be introduced in coming issues.
- David Finch stated that Batman: The Dark Knight has moved away from the horror angle and is now focusing on the stories he wants to tell. Upcoming stories will feature Superman, the Flash, Wonder Woman, the Legion of Doom headquarters and a new story with the Ventriloquist. Finch mentioned that an upcoming scene with the Ventriloquist will show him accidentally breaking Scarface and temporarily replacing him with a dead police officer's body.
- Finch also mentioned that Jenkins is now the full-time writer due to Finch's inability to keep on a monthly schedule and that Jenkins came up with the aforementioned Ventriloquist scene. Although originally Finch had a lot of input as to the title's direction, Finch admitted that he's pulled back as he trusts Jenkins' vision. Finally, Finch stated that he is keeping to his monthly schedule and is looking forward to proving that he can get the books out on time.
- Peter Tomasi mentioned that he's basing Damien in Batman and Robin on his eight year son and that he's glad that Patrick Gleason is drawing Robin like an eight-year-old kid. Batman and Robin will continue to focus on the dynamic between Batman and his son and that the new villain Nobody is "the subplot" of the title.
- Kyle Higgins said that Nightwing was his favorite character and that he wanted to honor the character's time as Batman. In addition, Higgins addressed the change of Dick Grayson's age at the time of adoption to 16 was done to preserve Nightwing's current age in the condensed timeline.
- Batman: Noel came up and was born out of Lee Bermejo's desire to do a children's book. He stated that he threw in several references to the 1960's TV show and that the flashbacks in the book put Batman in a different style costume to reflect the differences between Batman then and now.
- Tim will return to the main Bat-universe and will appear in both Nightwing and Batman. Cassie and Steph will also appear soon.
Written or Contributed by: BlueStreak