Advertisement

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 203 posts

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 am

Things would be a lot easier if you could just send away for the ability to tear people to pieces with your bare hands.

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1 (of 6) (MR)
story JUSTIN JORDAN
art & cover TRADD MOORE
Price:$2.99
Diamond ID:AUG110403
On Sale:October 05, 2011

Luther Strode is just your average nerd until he sends away for a bodybuilding course from an old comic book, one that works a whole lot better than he ever imagined. His newfound strength and strange talents make school a lot easier, but they've also caused some very, very bad people to take a very, very keen interest in him. Things will never be the same for Luther Strode... if he survives.

Review:

Do you remember Charles Atlas?

You might if you read comics or boys magazines at any time from the 1940's to the 1980's.  He used to run an ad for the mail order guide to his "Dynamic Tension" technique of bodybuilding.  The ads famously contained a six-panel cartoon of a skinny kid getting sand kicked in his by some musclehead at the beach.  Using the Atlas technique, said scrawny beanpole was able to bulk up, punch out his tormentor and get the girl, showing himself to be the alpha male.  Thus, all ended well.  Considering how intrinsic the series of ads become to comic book history, it makes sense that so many comics have riffed on them, most notably Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, which introduced the character of Flex Mentallo, which was actually supposed to be the Charles Atlas customer from that beach ad, raised from his 2-Dcharles_atlas existence. 

Now, we have The Strange Talent of Luther Strode.  The new Image comic is an extended new iteration of the Charles Atlas ad, but taken in a gross, superviolent new direction.  The first three pages detail a hulking behemoth of a man ejecting bullets from his chest muscles while surveying the bloody damage he's done to a room full of gangsters.  We learn that he destroys and dismemebers them in comically gruesome ways.  The story then flashes back to when the title character receives an Atlas-like exercise routine in the mail.  Before too long, he has enhanced strength, speed, and confidence.  Much like the skinny wussbag on the beach, Luther is routinely bullied at school and just can't work up the nerve to talk to Petra, the girl of his dreams.  All that changes after one night with his new exercise routine. 

What's interesting about Luther Strode #1 is that although it ends with Luther still discovering his new abilities, it starts with a staggeringly vivid display of them.  We see where the slippery slope ends up.  Tradd Moore gets to cut loose in rendering all the brutality Luther inflicts upon his victims in that opening sequence with great detail and enthusiasm.  The art overall is cartoony but vibrant, and it tells the story effectively.  The characters are wonderfully expressive and their dialogue, by Justin Jordan, has a great rhythm which feels very natural.  The excessive violence is so extreme that it comes to be very funny, in the vein of the Peter Jackson film Dead Alive

Despite the gore of the opening pages, there is something of a story here.  Something we see in comics a lot is how the body can be enhanced in order to be turned into a weapon, whether it's super-serums or power armor or years of intense martial arts study.  The body is a complex system that can be molded and shaped for a variety of purposes. Though this is a recurring theme in comics, it's usually handled pretty casually.  It looks like Luther Strode is going to be introducing a mysterious villain to add a lot of plot to the story, but hopefully the story sticks mostly to the themes of body treatment and changes.  There's a real possibility that Luther Strode ends up devolving into a showcase of blood and guts and nothing more, since it looks like there's going to be a whole lot of fighting coming up.  For now, though, the story is as funny and likable as it is bloody, and that makes it worth a look.

Review by: Royal Nonesuch

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/16449-review-the-strange-talent-of-luthor-strode.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

DavidIDean
Birdman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Davididean

Re: Review: The Strange Talent of Luthor Strode

Postby DavidIDean » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:35 pm

A bunch of people are talking about this book. I'm going to have to pick it up. Putting it in my pull now.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Re: Review: The Strange Talent of Luther Strode

Postby jeremy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:00 pm

I really liked this. The violence level is over the top in a Millar sort of way, but the story seems to be somewhere as well. Looking forward to the rest of this series.

DavidIDean
Birdman

Title: Davididean

Postby DavidIDean » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Ok. I read it last night. It was good. It's going to be hard to distinquish it from every other "kid suddenly gets superpowers and crushes criminals heads" story. Super, Kickass, Superior, etc. I like the art and the perspective. I have hope this will turn out to be pretty awesome.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:55 pm

I should've bought this. :-(

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: Review: The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:24 pm

This is a cool book. It has great, silly violence -- such as a guy who pulls out his own teeth with his super-powered tongue and then spits out his teeth as if they were bullets. And Luther, the bullied nerd, looks to be a promising character -- part Peter Parker, part revenge-seeking thug

The art is very cool, too. I love the line work and the cartoonish elements. This book just works.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Re: Review: The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1

Postby Dragavon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Liked the book enough to want to read the next issue.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 94 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:51 pm

GLX wrote:I should've bought this. :-(

DCBS already sent it to me. I'm waiting for it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand